Review Rd 11 Port v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

The midfield getting plenty of it AND delivering it well (the one without the other is still s**t IMO) in a loss is rare as hens teeth.

I’d imagine that’s true of all teams. If your midfield is getting more of the ball and using it better than your opponents’ midfield, your other two lines would have to be truly awful for you to not get a win.

Port could have gone a long way to killing off Hawthorn’s chances of finals here, but instead they let the entire world down.

Power fans will point to the rather interesting umpiring decisions, but they were hardly alone in this round and they made their own mistakes too.

Obviously, the umpires had one competition to see who could give away the most bewildering decisions this round and another for the most 50 metre penalties.

Ken Hinkley summed up the game best, "It was an ugly game, I thought. A really ugly game."

He wasn’t wrong, in fact, ‘A Really Ugly Game’ could be the AFL’s marketing slogan this year.

Port started off well enough but then Alastair Clarkson started making those annoying little adjustments he does, and it became a slog.

The Hawks slowly wore the Power down and had a few chances to get away late in the fourth but missed shots, not for the first time with Hawthorn.

Luckily for them, Port’s scoring had slowed to the point they managed to hold them off.

It was a match with important outcomes, the Hawks stay in touch of the eight, and the umpires involved can never enter South Australia again.

https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/monday-knee-jerk-reaction-afl-round-eleven 

There’s been at least one game like this every season over our VFL existence. Nothing has changed in 20 years. I could accept it if it balanced out, and maybe it will one day, and if it does, it will cause the wider football community to melt in delicious fashion.

Hey Waspy79 I apologise I didnt tag u in for u to get abused by some of hawthorn board posters. I had a genuine reply to your post. Anyways just came in to say good luck for the rest of the season guys a tough slog down in tassie which was a very defensive game

Hey Waspy79 I apologise I didnt tag u in for u to get abused by some of hawthorn board posters. I had a genuine reply to your post. Anyways just came in to say good luck for the rest of the season guys a tough slog down in tassie which was a very defensive game

All good Pillars. In some ways I like to think I am an honorary member of the Hawks bigfooty board such is my reputation :)

I still cant get over how bad we were in that third quarter. Genuinely looked like we were deliberately trying to throw the game

I though much of the fourth was worse. We'd got ourselves into the lead even at one stage, but were deer in headlights wondering what on earth to do next, now there was a possibility of winning. TBH, Hawthorn missed some gettable shots too, but we did have opportunities to ice the game we didn't take. Same was true in the other close games we've had this year (even the Crows we should have put away before their three late ones).

I still cant get over how bad we were in that third quarter. Genuinely looked like we were deliberately trying to throw the game

Nah, not deliberately. I’ve been watching Port long enough to know that we could never have pinpointed the Hawthorn half backs with such consistency if we were doing it deliberately.

Nah, not deliberately. I’ve been watching Port long enough to know that we could never have pinpointed the Hawthorn half backs with such consistency if we were doing it deliberately.
You'd think after the Danyle Pearce eyesight snafu we'd have all our players eyes checked. I'm sure Ebert has vision issues. It's the only way he can unerringly pick out opposition players every game. Not kicks to space, but players. Like he can see there's a shape there, so he knows to kick it there, but he can't distinguish it's one of ours quickly enough, so he kicks in hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back