Preview Rd. 11 SUNS vs Sydney @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched Hall very closely tonight (l was one of the fools that went in that weather) and l was extremely disappointed. I'm a fan but some of his efforts tonight were absolutely disgraceful and embarrassingly soft .
I'm a fan as well but his defense is at NEAFL level. If he can improve on that then he'll be an A-grade player one day. Ah Chee was showing him up tonight.

Hall haters are back
He is definitely in preservation mode atm

Eade mentioned that he was happy with the effort from 20 of the 22 players tonight. I would hazard a guess and say the 2 players with the least contested possessions (Matera and Hall) may have had their effort questioned.

Hall gets a pass on this effort based on his game being built on his outside run, which was diminished in the conditions, and that he was carrying the shoulder from last week. Matera is out of excuses and hopefully chances.

Thought Ah Chee and Rosa were good tonight.

Top comment there. I've only just finished watching the game and thought Rosa was our best and Ah Chee and Miller both had a crack. Not bad for a couple of young blokes against those bigger bodies......
We get a few more back next week and I reckon we can do the Tigers.....

Random thoughts.
  • Ryan Davis was good. Hands mostly good, excellent at getting the wet ball going the right direction. Been a very good rookie selection.
  • Best things about Ah Chee were his intent (super hard) and his hands (picked it up clean a number of times). Good signs.
  • TomNich is now competing hard for everything, but has to work on his ruck skills. Would help if he got into the air a bit more often. At his best when the ball is on the ground or he gets to tackle the other team. His tap work means he gets too many opportunities to demonstrate those skills.
  • Joyce showed a little bit. Would like to see more this year.
  • Macka Willis not ready yet. Need to see how he goes next year.
  • Lonergan was excellent in the 1st quarter. Annoyed we did not get to see what he could do for a full game. Amazed (actually, not that much) that the Fox commentators and Boundary Bazza failed to notice Lonergan playing out of full-forward for the 2nd quarter and limping around. Hello? Anyone there? Anyone?
  • KK still looks 18. Must have lost some weight with those abdominal problems. A tough 3rd year for him.
  • Touk was much better. Conditions suited but hoping that his ankle is now OK and he can finish strong.

Kade has lost nearly 6kg due to his two stints in hospital. Going to be a tough year for him.

I really liked Joyce and was pleasantly surprised by his composure. His body shape has changed drastically to 12 months ago when I saw him in the NEAFL as a top up. To fake one way in your debut game against the Swans in those conditions takes some gall too. Thought he showed just as much as the guy he replaced in Lemmens.

Hall not playing much midfield anymore, probably due to that shoulder and other mids coming back. Stuck on the wings or up forward on a night like this isn't going to bode well for a confidence player like him.

2K back to his form and showing what he can do when not hampered.

Matera extremely frustrating, but again not a night for a guy like him.

Ah Chee impressive too, probably the best game I've seen from him.

Overall it was good to see a return for our guys to hit the contest hard. Clearly some belief starts to come back as the cattle around also returns. Bring in another 4 or so for Richmond and I think we'll be right in the mix with that effort!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

was cool to see the jesse joyce cheersquad there last night, up in the south western stand. dunno if you could hear it on tv, but you could definitely hear whenever he got the ball or came on/off the field haha.
Could definitely hear it on TV!

I shouldn't be surprised that Ryan Davis did so well - He got himself drafted off a performance in a WAFL game in horrible weather. 20 tackles against Subiaco last year, 12 tackles against Sydney this year.

Had avoided all news until I could watch the replay of this game. Not as horrible as they usually performed, but clearly outclassed in the second half. Conditions may have helped us from a serious beating. Seems like everything has been noted already on this page, but I'd point out that Harbrow had a hell of a game as well. He's so clever in defense.

I finally sat down to watch this game; fortunately avoided the result all this time.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the effort in the game (we fell away in the second half, however, we were actually competitive against a very good Sydney team - in fact, I felt like our midfield was beating Sydney in the contested football, but Sydney outclassed us with actual skill).

edit: also, I can see Ablett is starting to work his way back into a groove. Very happy with his effort.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back