Preview Rd 11: Sydney Swans vs Carlton Blues, Sunday May 30 @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Cripps rarely plays tall and does not hurt you when he goes forward. He has few goals when resting this year and career wise not that many up forward. Unlike Bont, Dusty, Fyfe etc he doesn't hurt you forward so being a few inches smaller is not an issue. Hewee has beaten Cripps on many occasions. The proof is in the pudding

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
But he is super duper tall! Like the tallest of all the AFL players

His lead up composure was disappointing as well, dropping marks or getting positioning wrong - I'll cut him some slack because of the conditions, and don't think he should be dropped this week (2 quiet/poor weeks, then sure), but was pretty poor.

If Reid is fit though, difficult to say we'd be better with McLean (and I'd also drop Blakey), than say having McDonald as a forward option and Reid up the ground as an outlet option or interceptor. Looks like there may be a bit of rain (not last week -esque) too, so more mobile and composed options probably important.
Reid is definitely not fit.

Yeah I think the priority is getting Blakey to reserves, so we need someone to be backup ruck if Reid isn't right. That said, wouldn't surprise me if Blakey survives, even if Reid is back, or survives because we refuse to ruck McLean.
Bring Mcdonald in and ruck McLean. He will only ruck 10%of game time so no real problem. They have Pittonett and De Koning who are both true rucks. I think Blakey rucking against true rucks is bloody stupid. Last week was a good example.

Injury Update | Sam Reid won't return before the bye however defender Lewis Melican could return to action this week when Sydney faces Carlton in Marn Grook at the SCG.
See the latest on the Swans ahead of Round 11.
Melican will come in for Fox if he passes the fitness test. Boy are they getting these guys back quickly. He had a hammy, normally 4-6. They have him ready in 2

Tom was always Tomcentric. Demanding a high contract as draftee was indication enough of that amongst other examples. Horse knew that and it flavoured his view of Tom enabling him to serve it up as he did when his egocentric ways needed a kick. Happen to think Horse is very fair and what he did was deserved. I'm not disappointed the garden gnome is no longer with us. Happier to applaud the Parker's of our world who are as tough as teak and equally selfless and loyal.
The Mitchell's have always proven to be loyal to only one thing. MONEY

The final team for the Marn Grook match will be named tomorrow evening.

Coming out of the Swans team that were narrowly defeated by Fremantle last week in Perth is Tom Hickey (knee), Robbie Fox (eye) and Nick Blakey (omitted).

"Robbie hasn't made it up after the eye injury last week," coach John Longmire said.

"He's feeling good but it's a bit risky so we have rested him.

"Tom Hickey is the other injury, it's disappointing he couldn't get up, we were hoping he would be able to for this week but his knee has pulled up a little bit sore so he won't be available either."

Coming into the extended squad are a handful of players who have been putting in consistent performances at VFL level with Kaiden Brand, James Bell, Joel Amartey, Lewis Taylor and Colin O'Riordan all pushing for selection in the final 22.

Sunday's Marn Grook match, as part of Sir Doug Nicholls round is always a highlight on the Sydney Swans calendar and is a chance to celebrate and recognise the contribution of Indigenous players to the game.

"It's obviously a really important game for us," Longmire said.

"We have got some Indigenous players with some wonderful records at this football club and it's great to be able to recognise that again with the Marn Grook game."

First bounce is at 3.20pm AEST and the match will be live on Fox Footy, Kayo and 7Mate

EXTENDED : Callum Sinclair,Colin O'Riordan,James Bell,Joel Amartey,Justin McInerney,Kaiden Brand,Lewis Taylor
OUT Nick Blakey (Omitted),Robbie Fox (Injured),Ryan Clarke (Medi-Sub),Tom Hickey (Injured)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EXTENDED : Callum Sinclair,Colin O'Riordan,James Bell,Joel Amartey,Justin McInerney,Kaiden Brand,Lewis Taylor
OUT Nick Blakey (Omitted),Robbie Fox (Injured),Ryan Clarke (Medi-Sub),Tom Hickey (Injured)

Perhaps Sinclair (Hickey), Amartey (Blakey), McInerney (Fox). Lottery for sub.

Or Sinclair (Hickey), McInerney (Blakey), COR/Brand (Fox) and McLean chops out in the ruck.

Perhaps Sinclair (Hickey), Amartey (Blakey), McInerney (Fox). Lottery for sub.

Or Sinclair (Hickey), McInerney (Blakey), COR/Brand (Fox) and McLean chops out in the ruck.

Reckon Brand is near certain to help take on McKay, De Koning and possibly Casboult.

Makes it an interesting balancing act from there. Sinclair is in for Hickey obviously and then McInerney comes in but then that leaves us a 2nd ruck short unless they play McLean there which they've been avoiding. Can see Amartey coming in to play forward/ruck with Stephens making way for McInerney (though I hope Stephens gets a block of senior footy rather than one in, one out).

In any case, Sinclair + McLean/Amartey vs Pittonet + De Koning does not fill me with confidence.

Bench for me should be Warner, Jmac, Stephens, COR.

I don't really want any of the other Es as sub, since it shouldn't be a tall and Bell, Taylor are the other options. I reckon we'll probably go with Bell.

Although losing Rampe or McCartin and not having Brand at least as sub would be disastrous.

Can't see them playing both De Koning and Casboult as both are on ext bench. COR can take Silvagni if needed, with Rampe/McCartin vs McKay/other tall.

Last edited:
No McDonald wtf?
I know he kicked 3 goals in the reserves last week, but I didn't think he 'knocked the door down'.

I thought if he did come in it would probably have been for Hayward.
I didn't think we would (or should) drop McLean after one bad game.

No Logan suggests to me Amartey will come in as fwd/2nd ruck. It would also mean we'd have the option of rucking McLean and Amartey playing as a more permanent fwd.

For some reason we've been very reluctant to ruck McLean and I think in part it's a structural issue, wanting to retain tall options in the fwd line.
Without Amartey, if McLean did go into the ruck it would arguably mean Sinclair staying on the ground fwd, rather than going to the bench, otherwise it would leave Buddy as our sole tall, albeit Heeney and to a degree Hayward play tall.

Last edited:
JPK was destroyed by Fyfe. Longmire made no moves when Fyfe was single handedly destroying us.

JPK was destroyed by Fyfe. Even more so Mundy, who was just taking the piss with his field kicking.

I'm not sure there was much that JPK or Horse could do about it though. JPK is 32. It's no secret that he is slow, and together with Parker, they made Fyfe, who himself has looked slower this year, resemble Chris Judd. What would you have JPK do? Jump in a time machine and go back to his peak in 2014? I have been saying this for a while that JPK is still a very good player but he will be exposed against midfielders with even a modicum of pace. That's a price we have to pay if we want JPK in the middle, and it's a price that I think we do have to pay simply for lack of better options, which brings me to my point about Horse's "moves" or lack thereof.

Clearly Florent, Rowbottom and Warner weren't going to be able to handle Fyfe & Mundy. Would you have preferred them just get monstered by two huge veterans simply so that we could say "well at least we tried something!"? No thanks! These horror midfield match-ups from time to time for us are just a thing we will have to wear until the next generation of mids are ready to take the mantle, which I'm becoming more and more confident about each week they'll be able to do.

I wonder if we might see Wicks dropped this week. He's been chasing and tackling OK and has played on some dangerous rebounding defenders quite well at times but his kicking at goal has been pretty wayward recently. And he's generally been nowhere near as involved forward of the ball in the last 2 months. Could see Warner shifting to more of a forward role to provide some grunt and tackling up there and Stephens retaining his place in the wing rotation with McInerney and Florent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back