Game Day Rd 12, 2013 - Fremantle v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand your sentiments however we are nowhere near Melbourne I'm that regard. If you have a look at the team I out forward there is a definite core of older players who should play at all times to lead. When I talk about games into 'kids' I'm mainly talking about the group of Yeo, Docherty, Green, Paparone, Mayes, Longer, Harwood and Co who are in that infancy games wise. I see our team in three distinct groups Older, Middle and Young. I would begin to omit one or two from the Older and Middle groups to add one or two more from the Younger group. We are clearly not going to make the eight and even though it is a fine balancing act if done properly it is done for the benefit of the team in the long run.

Agree...and if Voss got sack tomorrow any new coach would put a line through quite a few players names and just focus on getting games into the kids with talent...Playing Kids hasnt done the GC any harm. Leah matthews always said you need to identify your talent and get 50 games into them asap...we have next generation players being stuck in the crappy QAFL. Some players have been gifted games whilst others struggle to get a look in...no one can talk about "Team Standards" when you watch the remarkable run of games the polkinghornes were gifted

so he "Might" have been fatigued?
He didn't look fatigued to you?

Maybe this one will clear it up for you.

The triple premiership hero admitted after the game to being confused and concerned by his condition over the past 10 days, especially the sleeplessness, and said he would consult the club doctor.

He said he did not ask to be subbed off but had told the runners he was battling and he had no objections when the decision was made by the coach.

"I don't think I've ever struggled that badly," he said.

"I didn't feel great coming into the game and to be honest I have been pretty flat for about 10 days. "Something is not right."
Blackie seems like a man of his word.

Commiserations Lions fans. I don't think you're a million miles off putting together a consistent run of good footy once you get Merrett and Brown back and if you had them last night you may well have pulled off the victory.

I write a weekly column on the Irish players so I was watching Hanley and McKeever closely last night. Can anyone explain the logic of playing one of your true quality users as the ball in Hanley in the forward pocket for much of the game? It seems quite bizarre to me as any time he played behine the ball he looked superb and obviously has done so for much of the season. Is it to avoid tags after he was beaten by Macaffer in the Collingwood game?

I'm guessing for Hanley it's just a learning experience.

I was at the game. Our skills were woeful. Lester and Patfull's kicking was putrid.

Great effort for much of the game.

I'm guessing for Hanley it's just a learning experience.
Hanley has been getting a close tag the last couple of matches. Opposition coaches have seen the amount of run and rebound he gives the Lions from halfback and across the centre and reacted accordingly. Probably he was moved forward to break the tag.

Has played forward, back, on ball and on a wing this year. I think the logic is that we need good users of the footy either on the ball or ahead of it. I like the move personally - I think he's too good for a HBF. Hanley's pretty good in the air and in a contest, great when the ball hits the deck in space, is quick and skilful and doesn't mind a ping at goals. Onball changing with the HFF is a good role.

Didn't see all of yesterday's game so can't comment specifically on that role.

I'd like to see Hanley back again, or ay least on to the wing.... his run is the most valuable bit of his game...
Redden would be very good around HF.
Not a fan of Rockliff up front though... he seems a very "individual" player... does he have any goal assists for the year?

People calling for Docherty to be dropped are kidding themselves. The kids terrific. He's calm under pressure always takes the right option has terrific skills, is definitely a one touch player (and we need those). He should be getting more game time at this level not less. More game time, more confidence to take game on, he's a gem.

People calling for Docherty to be dropped are kidding themselves. The kids terrific. He's calm under pressure always takes the right option has terrific skills, is definitely a one touch player (and we need those). He should be getting more game time at this level not less. More game time, more confidence to take game on, he's a gem.
That is 100% correct. He only played one quarter, but I thought he was very very good. He had one bad kick. The kid can play. He shouldn't go back to the NEAFL he is a level above it.

I don't think people are suggesting he should be dropped because of bad form. I for one am very hopeful that at some stage he gets a good run of senior games however I think this week he needs to go out so we can fit Merrett in. One of Doc, Yeo, and Harwood need to be omitted to fit him in and as much as I am a fan of Docherty and I think he has been performing, I think Harwood has also played well enough to retain his spot and Yeo has been very impressive.

Having a look at the votes thread, and I'm a bit surprised by the number of votes for Redden. I thought he had a genuine shocker. Kicking was very poor, was beaten by Mundy, and seemed to lose confidence. Did he do some stuff that I missed?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back