Autopsy Rd 12, 2017: SWANS VS BRAVEDOGS

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who weren’t at the ground, I’m not sure if the broadcast was deceptive or what, but it was very wet and kicking for goal must been very difficult with saturate boots and ball. Both Buddy and Reid did okay I thought, and Reid’s contested marking was simply sublime! For me it was a great game, couldn’t believe I was yelling myself hoarse for a game where were 5.8 at half time.

Positives:
- Team played as whole with all players putting in continuous effort.
- Whole team maintained defensive pressure for all four quarters.
- George Hewitt’s effort was sensational, so easy to forget he has only played 35 games.
- Defence was superb in really difficult conditions.
- Lloyd is best 22 unless injured.
- Parker and Hanners are back!

Negatives:
- Can’t think of any… except perhaps a little more inaccurate than I would like.

We beat the doggies when no-one but the bookies had much faith! We can slam the Tigers too!!!

The coach, selections and game plan over at the 'we're falling back into the dog abyss board'.

The young bulldogs they cling too, building a dynasty they think, yet swans played 11 players (half the team) under 50 games vs 7 for the dogs and tore them up!!! Let them make the finals and get eaten by GWS. Rather we finished 12th or thereabouts and recruited early draft picks and thinned out players like Tippet. Maybe dogs and a few others can squeeze gws cap space by chasing their players. Bonus.

Is Dean Towers the greatest player to ever put on a pair of football boots?
He sure as hell towelled up the mighty Bont. Seriously, rivalled Johanissen when it came to disappearing. Gets credit for being hard at the footy but pulled out if at least 3 contests with JPK that I saw.

I feel like the umpiring was still actually pretty poor, particularly early on in the game. Some absolute howlers still. Lots and lots of "non-calls" IMO too.

Just because it was way less s**t than the previous handful of games doesn't mean it wasn't still s**t.

How was it in the back to the Auskicker a gift 20 out dead in front. Teams always seem to at least get 1 gift dead in front. I said on the night though that the Jones free was just as bad, though he kicked a point which was just typical.

For those who weren’t at the ground, I’m not sure if the broadcast was deceptive or what, but it was very wet and kicking for goal must been very difficult with saturate boots and ball. Both Buddy and Reid did okay I thought, and Reid’s contested marking was simply sublime! For me it was a great game, couldn’t believe I was yelling myself hoarse for a game where were 5.8 at half time.

Positives:
- Team played as whole with all players putting in continuous effort.
- Whole team maintained defensive pressure for all four quarters.
- George Hewitt’s effort was sensational, so easy to forget he has only played 35 games.
- Defence was superb in really difficult conditions.
- Lloyd is best 22 unless injured.
- Parker and Hanners are back!

Negatives:
- Can’t think of any… except perhaps a little more inaccurate than I would like.

We beat the doggies when no-one but the bookies had much faith! We can slam the Tigers too!!!
I was at the game and the ground held up well given we've had a lot of rain in a short period. Thought the game was played at a decent level given the conditions as it was never going to be a pretty game after that match rain.

I was at the game and the ground held up well given we've had a lot of rain in a short period. Thought the game was played at a decent level given the conditions as it was never going to be a pretty game after that match rain.
Yeah, the ground is sensational for draining... but it was still very wet. You could hear it in the sound when the ball was kicked... (that sounds a bit odd but hopefully you will know what I mean!).

I thought it was a great game, and I really didn't think the boys did that much wrong. Perhaps I was caught up in the flow of the game and I'll see more on replay. They had a few moments (Sinclair dropping marks, Towers wondering what to do with it, etc), but they won through them without costing us much, and really never looked in doubt from my view.

Ha ha dogs fans whinging about the umpires

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haHa ha ha ha ha ha ha haHa ha ha ha ha ha ha haHa ha ha ha ha ha ha haHa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haHa ha ha ha ha ha ha haHa ha ha ha ha ha ha haHa ha ha ha ha ha ha haHa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

A #bravedogs hidden amongst all that would have made it a funnier post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The keys to me were

We cut down opposition marks
Cut down their contested possies
Won clearances

But importantly dominated inside 50s
Took marks inside 50
And tackles inside 50s

Stopped our defence being under pressure

Our forward line didn't function at all at times
Still kick to out numbered contest to often

Wasn't much lead up and hit

Yep but we kept it in there last night

Didnt score much for the dominance but its a start

1. Thought we stayed on our feet very well. We often go in and under thinking contested football. Hard to handball or kick while sliding on the ground.

2. Wouldn't say Newman was a stylish kick, but he's penetrating. Wasn't afraid to belt it forward.

3. Maybe we've finally worked out how to play wet, slippery conditions. And the week after the bye as well.

1. Naismith, when he wants to play, can play. His tackling, ruck work (all be it against no one) was amazing. I can't see Tippett getting in if Sinclair and Naismith play like this. Though, again, there was no real ruckman to go up against.
2. Hayward is an amazing talent. I gave him votes in the other thread, but, the amount of 3rd and 4rth efforts he gives as well as present an option is amazing.
3. Melican on form is not going to be removed from the team
4. I really like Hewett's progression, he has come along way since last year.
5. Papley is playing in the mids and playing well. Is it just me, or over the last few weeks has he been starting in the center regularly. He has been playing really well too.

I could go on, but off one win I dont want to go to far

Cmon people, dont get weak at the knees at the moment with Towers, any thoughts towards "he can football" can be quickly removed if you watch in slow motion when he had the ball in the back pocket, sized up his options forward of play, turns his head towards our goal line slowly like a crazed mad man, clearly fights an inner demon at this time for 3 seconds, listens to the voice in his head saying "go on do it" kicks backwards to the goal square and misses his target and the #bravedogs pounced and we were lucky not to concede a goal. He is a game killer, he should not be allowed on the field in the final quarter if the opposition is within 5 goals, the risks are too great.

That aside, Im going to enjoy reading this thread from start to finish and then the #bravedogs equivalent as therapy in dealing with last years grand final, going to enjoy this!

That also stuck in my head. He makes some diabolical decisions under pressure

How was it in the back to the Auskicker a gift 20 out dead in front. Teams always seem to at least get 1 gift dead in front. I said on the night though that the Jones free was just as bad, though he kicked a point which was just typical.

Parker drilled him right in the middle of his back. Yes he then turned him so he didn't fall on his back when they hit the ground, but the free is there any day of the week. Not that I would want Parker to do anything different. Sent a message to the Dogs that we would keep tackling all night and keep tackling hard.

1. Naismith, when he wants to play, can play. His tackling, ruck work (all be it against no one) was amazing. I can't see Tippett getting in if Sinclair and Naismith play like this. Though, again, there was no real ruckman to go up against.
2. Hayward is an amazing talent. I gave him votes in the other thread, but, the amount of 3rd and 4rth efforts he gives as well as present an option is amazing.
3. Melican on form is not going to be removed from the team
4. I really like Hewett's progression, he has come along way since last year.
5. Papley is playing in the mids and playing well. Is it just me, or over the last few weeks has he been starting in the center regularly. He has been playing really well too.

I could go on, but off one win I dont want to go to far
Yeah noticed that with Papely and hes been quite good at it too in the mids.

Yeah noticed that with Papely and hes been quite good at it too in the mids.
It looks like Papley and Heeney have been given some licence to roam. Heeney in an article said Horse had given him the flexibility to move around the field without need for prior instruction. So if Heeney's doing that, probably stands to reason someone else would have to accomodate and balance that out, which logically would be Papley.

I'm very happy to see that arrangement continue, if it bears fruit like it did Thursday night.

Last edited:
Parker drilled him right in the middle of his back. Yes he then turned him so he didn't fall on his back when they hit the ground, but the free is there any day of the week. Not that I would want Parker to do anything different. Sent a message to the Dogs that we would keep tackling all night and keep tackling hard.

Turned him before landing on him. Not a free

You can tackle from behind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back