Autopsy Rd 12 Carlton vs Brisbane - Blues suffer winning faTeague

Who played well for the Blues in Round 12 vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 21, 2009
The Superego’s Palace
AFL Club
Carlton
Had a couple in consecutive weeks with Malthouse at the end of 2013. Round 23 we were 6 goals down against Port at Football Park, just before three-quarter time, and we needed to win that game to finish 9th, because everyone knew it might matter, even though the Essendon situation was still unfolding and the AFL had not yet made its decision. Gibbs was huge in that final quarter, but my abiding memory is of Matthew Broadbent shooting at goal on the run from about 60 very late in the game, from inside the centre square, and hitting the top of the goal post. Not sure I've seen a bigger drop punt live. We won by 1 point.

The following week is better documented; 28 points down against Richmond early in Q3 in the Elimination Final, but we found our way home. The highlights are actually very hard to watch, because the side that took the field that day was decimated in record time - we lost 18 of those 22 in the space of 4 years, with only Simpson, Murphy, Kreuzer and Ed Curnow remaining (Casboult didn't play that day).

Obviously a few under Ratten, although we didn't actually win them all (thinking of the Elimination Final in 2010 in Sydney, where "Judd's quarter" didn't quite get us home), but we did have a massive one in the wet against Port at Football Park in 2008, trailing by 38 (8.12 to 2.10) late in Q3. An 18-year-old Matthew Kreuzer led us through the mud, as we kicked the final 8 goals of the game (including 7-zip in Q4, in heavy rain) to win by a couple of goals.

Couple of celebrated ones under Pagan, including the biggest one against Essendon in 2007, where we were down by 48 in the shadows of half-time, before Fev kicked 8, in a game where the two sides kicked about 20 goals each. Plus the one against the Crows in 2004 at Football Park; everyone remembers Fev kicking his 7th from the carpark in the final minute, to cap a 7-goal quarter after we had trailed by 5+ goals in Q1.

Under Brittain, I don't remember us actually winning one like that, although the Geelong game at Docklands in 2002 sticks in the mind. We were down 40+ in Q3 before kicking 8 in the last, and a (dodgy) 50-metre penalty to Matthew Lappin gave us the lead with 20 seconds left. Geelong won the final centre clearance and hacked it forward to Peter Riccardi on their 50-metre line. His post-siren set shot was touched by Simon Wiggins on the mark, but went though the big sticks and was paid a major, and we lost.

There was another nasty one at Princes Park earlier in 2002; I remember Whitnall flipping the bird at his West Coast opponent as he ran into an open goal to put us 12 points up very late in the game, and I think we had come from a fair way back, too. But somehow we lost that game, so it wasn't a great look.
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 A memory or 3 you did jog. The Kreuze v Port was a good-un.

And the Tigers one as well with the late inclusion Duigan booting 4

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Then why ask? Your trolling really is ordinary. No matter what i would have said you would have made a negative comment. That's what you do.
I have made my point numerous times. You comments to it make no sense.

I'm not getting involved in any back and forth with people like you that are more about cheap shots than discussing football.

Too many good posters on here that I can have enjoyable discussions/debates with. The End

So,
You back yourself into a corner and then throw the toys out of the bed and play the man ...

Have a nice day Soapy 😁

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Agree with this in general but sometimes it's worth experimenting with fringe players (in the 2's). Jones has thrived as a defender compared to a fwd.

Agree Smegger, but that's if they aren't making it. Jones was around 25 when we moved him. Young new players like Polson, LOB or Gibbons etc need to be allowed to establish themselves in the roles they were picked IMO.

Also, players like Curnow how have excelled in a role for so long (and we need) shouldn't be tried to be made into something else.

Just the way I see it

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Agree Smegger, but that's if they aren't making it. Jones was around 25 when we moved him. Young new players like Polson, LOB or Gibbons etc need to be allowed to establish themselves in the roles they were picked IMO.

Also, players like Curnow how have excelled in a role for so long (and we need) shouldn't be tried to be made into something else.

Just the way I see it
I think that's the way most of us see it.

Smegger

Club Legend
May 19, 2016
place without a postcard
AFL Club
Carlton

Just the way I see it
Very good point. Give them support and development in their natural roles first.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Only 97.7% of the people who voted on who had a good game think Cripps did?

I'd like to know what sort of effort it takes for those people to consider it a good game!
5 goals.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Working weekends sucks, big time. My phone decided out of the blue that the internet wouldn't work; the Telstra store nearby had a remote malfunction, and so the game was stuck on a replay of Ash Barty's semifinal win; excellent though that was, it wasn't the sport I wanted to watch. I knew the scores early, so I knew the Lions got off to a flier; I knew we'd pegged them back, even hit the front late in the second. I talked my mother into texting me updates; she didn't send me one until the final score, but that, and that alone, made it worth it.

I've finally watched the game. What a time to be alive!

Dow was sensational. His composure with ball in hand developed as the match unfolded. He played as though empowered; you can and you will make mistakes, but let them harden you, stiffen your spine. Turn error into adversity, another foe to overcome; let failure be no impediment to your will. LOB has always had that spark in him, that stiffness of spine; it is captivating to watch it emerge on a footy field, to see him revel in it. There were a number of times where the ball got to him awkwardly (around his ankles, too far in front of him or just behind) and he just leant forward, backward, contorted himself to take it and to take contact.

Cripps played his game, and there is no higher praise than that. The bloke plays AFL on easy, where all others play on at least hard.

Weitering demonstrated that he understands the game on higher planes. Marchbank plays better when the ball is moved faster. Casboult has forced me to eat my words; never thought he'd make it as a backman. SPS was good without standing out, but I really like that he took his kick in the final term. Had he made better connection, it would've sailed through.

Charlie has every right to feel robbed; Cripps and Gov floated across the face of him twice, and Jack almost nicked another. Speaking of Jack, it isn't solely his sheer effort that makes him a worthwhile proposition at AFL level. There were a number of times where he'd done all the work, he'd nudged the bloke under the ball just enough, he'd gotten separation and went to pick up the ball, but then he'd not take the chest mark or he'd fumble, and the game would move on. He's made huge strides over the past few years, but he's inches away from being a Paul Chapman-esque hybrid forward/mid.

That is genuinely as dangerous we have looked going forward in a very long time. We didn't break down across half forward, and opposition didn't rebound the way they normally would. I also approve of the idea of going in using Ed as an option to tag without that being the default; it allows you to observe the opposition in the moment, pick the most dangerous player on the day. What is better, to go in thinking Neale is the most dangerous player and so to shut him down so Zorko runs wild, or to let the game flow organically and to create a patch of dominance via depriving them of that avenue?

It is time to address the elephant in the room.

I've been pretty well established in here as being pro Bolton. I agreed with his mindset from the moment he walked into the club, and from that point there have been few areas in which what he'd done that I disagreed with. Wins would've been good, but it was courageous beyond words his devotion to development, and it ultimately cost him his job. The board have demonstrated that they could not live with the sheer weight of the constant losses. I heard Brad Lloyd interviewed on Triple M on Friday; they will again be conducting a review of the football department, it was part of why he was hired, to assist and to run it. The areas that they sought last season was high performance, hence Russell; he outlined that the next few areas was coaching, and list management; I'd expect that this is very much a watch this space kind of a thing.

Ultimately, Brendon Bolton is a human being who has done a huge amount right by this club. He deserves more respect by the fans than has been shown at times in this and in other threads on this site. That we won on Saturday is almost immaterial to this fact, the fact that without him we are not in any position culturally to accept the level of change that this club has (hopefully) undergone, and in no position to move into the future with anything other than more undeserved arrogance.

Pushing that cloud aside for better weather, it was good to watch tackles being stuck and forcing mistakes. It is this that I want to see most of all, in the days that come; tackles and pressure create opportunity. On ya David Teague; you were one of my favorites, in the nebulous days when I first began to follow the game seriously. You got our forward line working, better than it has seemed in a very long time. If you can maintain that, there will be no need for Ross Lyon, and for that I will be eternally grateful.

That took the whole weekend to write.....

Back