Preview Rd 12: Congratulations! It's a bye!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking how much expectations for this season have been all of the place. Optimistic about how we could exploit the rule changes with our better skills. To thinking we'd be unable to defend the faster ball movement by round 4. To being surprised by our own ability to play a fast game in quick fire bursts once we got Cameron into the team.

8-3 is a great place to be, crazy to think that with a little luck we could have been even better, all of this sans Dangerfield. A clean sweep over the next three round would almost lock in top 4. I hope we re-sign Guthrie soon.

See above. Not sure I could live here for long.
Just saw that

Every kid wants to be 1) a footy player
Massive understatement. Went to the local oval for a kick with the kids, must've been every kid in town running bare foot around back there.

As for the bottleshop, it's sad it can only be open those 3 hours, but that's so much better than the alternative.

From the bye onwards we will see our best footy. Half of that is of course bringing in those top 5-8 players that are currently missing, but the other half is being primed fitness wise for the second half of the year.
I said all along the first month and a half of football, we had the shortest pre-season in history AND was coming off playing in the GF, so we started slowly and will build as the season goes on. Tigers are in the same boat except they are losing games where we are not.
The first month back after the bye will setup our season, win 3 of the 4 are top 4 is a very good chance. Win all 4 and it's a shoe-in. Going to be a fun second half of the season that's for sure!

Just thinking how much expectations for this season have been all of the place. Optimistic about how we could exploit the rule changes with our better skills. To thinking we'd be unable to defend the faster ball movement by round 4. To being surprised by our own ability to play a fast game in quick fire bursts once we got Cameron into the team.

8-3 is a great place to be, crazy to think that with a little luck we could have been even better, all of this sans Dangerfield. A clean sweep over the next three round would almost lock in top 4. I hope we re-sign Guthrie soon.
If we clean sweep the next 3 rounds and don't finish top 4 i will shake my head from disappointment

It's ok, not much goes on though. The indigenous people keep to themselves pretty much, but I get to work with the artists and musos and its a lot of fun. There is a lot of despair I feel here. Bottle shops only open 4-7pm Monday to Saturday which has curbed violence a lot (about 80% IIRC). Every kid wants to be 1) a footy player 2) an artist 3) a muso.
I did enjoy going to watch a local footy match there. Felt like the whole community was there. There was one kid on the wing who just looked like he should be in a state league with his pace and kicking skill.

Just saw that

Massive understatement. Went to the local oval for a kick with the kids, must've been every kid in town running bare foot around back there.

As for the bottleshop, it's sad it can only be open those 3 hours, but that's so much better than the alternative.
The thing that gets me is walking around barefoot on bitumen @ 30+ degrees and on rocky nature strips. Not everyone mind you. It is a reality check. The footy here rocks

Someone on Reddit compiles "interesting" stats from the league and did a "first half of the season" compilation.

Given it's a bye week, I thought I'd share a few of the interesting ones featuring Geelong:

kinTg9E.png

Thought we'd be doing much worse on the Clanger count *but* Kolo's been out, so maybe that's why we're doing well ;)

GCx21jU.png

Best team in the league for not turning it over - I'm surprised

5Iek3Vw.png

I'm surprised the big Hawk is near the pointy end of the league given almost everyone else here is a small/med forward!

RVjm6D3.png

No surprises here :)

qtiCOye.png

The two stalwarts of our defence!

BCXbrOT.png

Ranked well for getting the ball to where it should be getting to - pretty surprised by this

H2rPh3d.png

No surprises here. Chip, chip, chip.

OK97v4I.png

Was pretty surprised by this...

QIQaVDs.png

Because I knew were weren't very good at this

wGPccnU.png

But it seems this makes up for it. I wonder how much stoppage clearances are affected by Hawkins monstering opponents up forward?

GOnrY5j.png

This surprised me too a bit. I knew Hawkins spent a lot of time out there but didn't think Hendo would be out there quite as much.

11 games by 100% means the maximum you can have here is 1100%. So Henson's off for an average of 1% game time per game? (If I'm reading that right?)

Last edited:
The thing that gets me is walking around barefoot on bitumen @ 30+ degrees and on rocky nature strips. Not everyone mind you. It is a reality check. The footy here rocks

Yeah living in the outback is eye opening! Might have to do it again!

Someone on Reddit compiles "interesting" stats from the league and did a "first half of the season" compilation.

Given it's a bye week, I thought I'd share a few of the interesting ones featuring Geelong:

View attachment 1144775

Thought we'd be doing much worse on the Clanger count *but* Kolo's been out, so maybe that's why we're doing well ;)

View attachment 1144777

View attachment 1144778

I'm surprised the big Hawk is near the pointy end of the league given almost everyone else here is a small/med forward!

View attachment 1144780

View attachment 1144781

View attachment 1144782

Ranked well for getting the ball to where it should be getting to - pretty surprised by this

View attachment 1144784

View attachment 1144789

View attachment 1144788

View attachment 1144787

But it seems this makes up for it. I wonder how much stoppage clearances are affected by Hawkins ministering opponents up forward?

View attachment 1144790

This surprised me too a bit. I knew Hawkins spent a lot of time out there but didn't think Hendo would be out there quite as much.

11 games by 100% means the maximum you can have here is 1100%. So Henson's off for an average of 1% game time per game? (If I'm reading that right?)
I have said it before and i will say it again if we ignore just goals and add every other stat key forwards bring to the table Hawkins is in second place over the last 10 years only behind Buddy (almost 1000 goals wins it for him could be a huge amount more if he could kick straight)

Hawkins is bar far the most well rounded Key forward in the last 10 years easily.

I have said it before and i will say it again if we ignore just goals and add every other stat key forwards bring to the table Hawkins is in second place over the last 10 years only behind Buddy (almost 1000 goals wins it for him could be a huge amount more if he could kick straight)

Hawkins is bar far the most well rounded Key forward in the last 10 years easily.

I disagree.
Hawkins would not even make the top 3 if you are talking about the last 10 years.

Franklin - 970 goals & 1700 marks (2.9 goals per final)
Riewoldt - 718 goals & 2944 marks (2.4 goals per final)
Pavlich - 700 goals & 2046 marks (2.4 goals per final)
Kennedy - 670 goals & 1520 marks (2.3 goals per final)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riewoldt - 694 goals & 1585 marks (2 goals per final)
Hawkins - 628 goals & 1590 marks (1.5 goals per final)

As much as we like to pump up own, Hawkins is in the same class as Jack Riewoldt and I am not sure he can do anything more to alter his reputation as much as we like to talk him up as being a more rounded forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree.
Hawkins would not even make the top 3 if you are talking about the last 10 years.

Franklin - 970 goals & 1700 marks (2.9 goals per final)
Riewoldt - 718 goals & 2944 marks (2.4 goals per final)
Pavlich - 700 goals & 2046 marks (2.4 goals per final)
Kennedy - 670 goals & 1520 marks (2.3 goals per final)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riewoldt - 694 goals & 1585 marks (2 goals per final)
Hawkins - 628 goals & 1590 marks (1.5 goals per final)

As much as we like to pump up own, Hawkins is in the same class as Jack Riewoldt and I am not sure he can do anything more to alter his reputation as much as we like to talk him up as being a more rounded forward.

Hawkins is still playing and could crack 700 easy

I'd be interested to see the numbers when you include things like goal assists etc

I think you missed the spirit of Gunf's post, too. If you *ignore* goals is the key. Hawkins is in the discussion through goal assists, forward pressure, ruck work and tackling etc

View attachment 1144775

View attachment 1144777

View attachment 1144778

View attachment 1144780

View attachment 1144781

View attachment 1144782

View attachment 1144784

View attachment 1144789

View attachment 1144788

View attachment 1144787

But it seems this makes up for it. I wonder how much stoppage clearances are affected by Hawkins ministering opponents up forward?

View attachment 1144790

Not that surprising to see Hawkins up there for tackles inside 50 - he was second in the league last year with 30 of them

Seems to be a strength of his - going via footywire, since 2015 (the longest it goes back for this stat), only twice has he has less than 30 tackles inside 50 across the season

Not that surprising to see Hawkins up there for tackles inside 50 - he was second in the league last year with 30 of them

Seems to be a strength of his - going via footywire, since 2015 (the longest it goes back for this stat), only twice has he has less than 30 tackles inside 50 across the season

Then clearly I just haven't been paying attention!

If Hawkins is nearly leading the league for it, and it's not his "job" then wtf is Dahlhaus doing? 😝

Then clearly I just haven't been paying attention!

If Hawkins is nearly leading the league for it, and it's not his "job" then wtf is Dahlhaus doing? 😝

Last year Dahlhaus battled injuries and this year he seems to be playing more as a high half forward/flanker rather than as a deeper small forward...

Though he's still had 14 this year which is equal with Close and only behind Hawkins. It's also more than his season total last year of 12, and he's only had more than 14 in 3 of his past 7 seasons

But if we go back to 2019 and his first year with us, he had a career high (as per footywire stats) of 33 tackles inside 50 which ranked him 6th in the league & 1 ahead of teammate Atkins

Hawk simply does not get enough credit for his defensive work. Big forwards aren’t supposed to do the dirty work. But hawk does.

Hawk simply does not get enough credit for his defensive work. Big forwards aren’t supposed to do the dirty work. But hawk does.
I reckon he thinned down and worked on his fitness specifically for this reason. One easy way to get more forwardline access is to make it harder for the opposition to get it out of there.

8-3 is a great result, considering our injury/suspensions and short pre-season. And to think we haven't fired on all cylinders yet...

8-3 is a great result, considering our injury/suspensions and short pre-season. And to think we haven't fired on all cylinders yet...
We've only looked spectacular against West Coast and Richmond. Not too concerned. Happy to bank wins against clubs who park the bus and play their grand final against us (like Gold Coast, Hawks etc).

Looking forward to our next two games. If we can bring that intensity that we did against Richmond, then I will feel very confident going into R23 against Melbourne which is a prime tune up for Finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back