Autopsy Rd 13 2017: Sydney v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

You come to terms with 50/50 decisions that swing the home sode's way.
You never come to terms with decisions that have the benefit of a replay & s delay in the game to adjudicate the appropriate way.
The goal umpires call was a goal. That's a goal on that replay.
How often do we get pinged for 50 because a player goes to handball but ump hasn't called play on & our bloke impedes.
Not for Josh Kennedy yesterday.
Uh uh! No way. Benefit of the doubt to the Richmond player yesterday.
Goal umpires call should stand if video is inconclusive. At the moment it seems some decisions are more akin to the vibe.

Very good question. Someone should ask Gary, and make sure they get a response.

TBH he completely confuses me. I don't know what his best position is, I don't know if he does, and I don't know if the coaching staff know either?
Full forward.
Rohan is useless in the back line and gets lost on the wing. I would have him full forward with a brief to lead up and take marks and put pressure on their defenders.

We need to keep it simple ...

Yes Newman was good all day but outstanding in the last quarter- ferocious tackling, cool with ball in hand and when it was time to strand up in a one on one with a very good Rioli he delivered - he is going to be very good.
Whenever Newman is involved in a play I feel relaxed. I trust him to make the right call more than any other player.
Strange ...

Full forward.
Rohan is useless in the back line and gets lost on the wing. I would have him full forward with a brief to lead up and take marks and put pressure on their defenders.

We need to keep it simple ...
Good idea, but he might never touch the ball, given the way we play. He doesn't get enough of it now...

The thing that shits me (apart from the obvious bias) is the inability for commentatots to call each other out or disagree. They all play along like they're one big happy family & if someone disagrees then the rest of "the boys" gang up on the dissenter & teach them a lesson. You play by their rules & follow their lead or you'll be ridiculed & probably won't have a job with them come next year.....

To be fair it does have comedy value at times. Like when they all agreed Jones didn't handball it when run down. Even WHILE the slow motion showing he had it in left, handballed with right they all still maintained black was white.
It really is clownschool at times.

You come to terms with 50/50 decisions that swing the home sode's way.
You never come to terms with decisions that have the benefit of a replay & s delay in the game to adjudicate the appropriate way.
The goal umpires call was a goal. That's a goal on that replay.
How often do we get pinged for 50 because a player goes to handball but ump hasn't called play on & our bloke impedes.
Not for Josh Kennedy yesterday.
Uh uh! No way. Benefit of the doubt to the Richmond player yesterday.
Every player around the play knew it was touched. Was probably an audible snick. Not sure why anyone is going on about it tbh.

There is no way the Jack goal should of gotten overturned that was bullshit decision, Ted its the worst umpired sport in the world soon as you come to terms with it the less stress you get from watching games.

I think they got the jack Review right though to be fair

Reid had to contest with two to three opponents today. But even when in the marking contest against his direct opponent his arms were being taken. The umpires were terrible and he should have got at least 4 frees for illegal contact, arms taken/front on contact etc. buddy should have had at least 3 against Rance, who chops the arms every time and holds on constantly. Obviously holding and chopping are as legal now as throwing the ball or just dropping it.

I think he dropped some straight forward marks as the key forward, second half was better, but one goal was a gift, padded his stats a bit yesterday

Still better than tippett, I am just not paying 800k to keep Reid if I am the list manager

Our way? Cheers, Thats what we need to win imo, as our defence cannot handle constant inside 50s, not that most can, but we used to handle it a lot better, we have to protect the backline to win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One howler of a mistake was the free kick given against Buddy for running into the square before the bounce. We were one player down in the centre square, he had every right to run in. I hope the AFL comes out and call this for what it was : a stupid howler that could've potentially lost us the game.

I just posted the centre square rules in the thread in the umpiring forum and it isnt very clear.

*Maximum* of 4 in the square. No player may enter, other than *initial 4*, once umpire commences walking in until ball hits the ground.

1. Umpiring was absolutely deplorable yet again. Most of s**t ones against us but we got a few s**t ones too. The officiating is in a farcical state, despite Clarkson being hypocritical complaining about umps after what they usually get, it's what every coach and media outlet should do (in a more constructive way, but it on the AFL), the AFL are absolutely letting the umpires down...the reason they don't like people commenting on them is so they can keep on sweeping it under the rug and won't have address it and fork out for full-time umpires.

2. If our defenders did what Rance did they would have 10 frees against them every game. It's unbelievable what he gets away with, and that dive was a ******* disgrace, should be fined but won't be because the AFL are a joke.

3. Kennedy showed why he's captain and maybe should've been sooner. So often we've complained on here about the captains going missing in crucial games, but Kennedy after an unusually quiet game absolutely played a captains last quarter, if Selwood or Hodge did it we wouldn't hear the end of it. Massive goal where he somehow found an extra few metres in his kick right when we needed it (after an umpire farce in the middle led to another Tiger goal), won the two biggest clearances of the game as well.

4. Newmans kicking absolutely stands out in this team.

got the match ups right in the first quarter not take 2 quarters to get them all right. Not use the zone, especially the defensive zone. Needed to go one on one in the defensive half as their players were just leading out unimpeded.

Oh you'd just get the match-ups right first quarter? And then every other match-up ever times infinity?

Are you serious? Jack is a club warrior with weight of performance on the board. He has delivered. Hopefully Dawson will one day but he hasnt done anything yet. You can't promote blind hope over guys who have delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At times the delivery gets a bit stale. Like a fast bowler who starts out an absolute star taking multiple wickets but who toward the end of his career is bowling bouncers and getting hit all over the park. I'm not saying Kizza is at that stage but he has lost a bit of pace and is probably not going to be a walk up starter in the 22.

What a load of $#it he is a reliable mark unlike Sinclair. When Tippett is in the forward line he is an option Sinclair is never dangerous there.
What a load of s**t Tippett being a reliable mark
He contested marking has gone to s**t compared to most his size , gets pushed of the ball by undersized defenders on a weekly basis
The guy is finished

I don't expect a heap from Kizza these days. And the pacey makeup up the Tigers was probably the perfect storm of how to expose him these days.

But damn he tried hard. And should have had two goals (that touched ball on replay was in no way clear enough to overturn the call).

We seem to be playing him as a roving loose transition player between the arcs. Zone boy.

He runs shoulder to shoulder with an opponent at each end (whomever he picks up) but lurks in space in between. It's basically an unaccountable role in the middle. Gaz and Towers play similar roles a lot too which is why they go invisible for long periods. Then if someone runs through this zone he follows him whereever he goes. Or if we have the ball he sprints fwd to present an option.

If we're doing well he gets fwd and gets goal assists amd goals.

When these structures collapse opponents just stream into our backline unopposed.

Kizza ran with Ellis/Edwards/Houli/Cotchin/Lambert then I stopped bothering. And that was just the first half. :huh:

Utimately he was responsible for none of them.

He's not cooked. He's doing what the coach is telling him.

Hey Tuco great post offering some real insight into how the game is played - thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One howler of a mistake was the free kick given against Buddy for running into the square before the bounce. We were one player down in the centre square, he had every right to run in. I hope the AFL comes out and call this for what it was : a stupid howler that could've potentially lost us the game.
There is a dishonourable history of umpires and referees who cant count up to four and eight in football games. Wonder why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back