Autopsy Rd 13 Blues double comeback just falls short in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BluStreak

Premiership Player
Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
this morning, my GWS supporting team mate goes wow that was a fantastic game (referring to the WB vs Carlton match).
First thing he said to me this morning, even before 'good morning'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rog1995

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Under Bolton LOB was playing a "decoy" role dragging the opposition player to the dead side of the ground. Walsh or Murphy were to be where the ball was. Released a couple of times late in the game like against Hawks. No complaints and did exactly what he was told to do.

When Teague was appointed he met with LOB and told him he wanted him to go back to his natural role in covering lots of ground, take the game on and kick long too targets. Picked him from the reserves when his form was just okay.

So far, so good
That's one convoluted game plan. Why ask a top ten draft pick with elite skills and running capacity to be used as a decoy? We could have used Kerridge for this role. Again really pleased that Teague has let the players just play and focus on their strengths.

skadoosh

Club Legend
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
That's one convoluted game plan. Why ask a top ten draft pick with elite skills and running capacity to be used as a decoy? We could have used Kerridge for this role. Again really pleased that Teague has let the players just play and focus on their strengths.
Kerridge?
Pay me just $100k and I'll do it too.

Blue Chip Pass

Team Captain
Apr 20, 2017
Warrandyte
AFL Club
Carlton
Was lucky enough to be there and witness one of the best games of the year.
In summary, we saw the Good (Charlie & 2 come backs), the Bad (Crap first half, Lack of Mid pressure & Umpires and the Ugly (Security fun police & losing another tight one).

Many asking for Gov to be dropped.
Can't see it happening. Teague is a big fan and believes he does alot of sacrificial work for the team. I think one of Dow or Gibbons to be dropped, for Jack + 1 other showing good form in the VFL. Freemantle will be tough over there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
What I've liked about the past couple of weeks:

1. Casboult playing with real energy. The sort of energy and desperation you're more likely to see from a tough inside mid.
2. O'Brien belongs. What a difference from a player that looked to be lost in the reserves to one that now demands the ball.
3. Marchbank starting to back himself in marking contests again.
4. CCurnow again starting to look as though he knows how good he is.
5. If Walsh was used every time he made good (and the right) position, he would have again had 30 possessions for this game.

Even for his good games, I still see Gibbons as a selfish player even though some here, have noted the contrary.
Guess what I saw through the pre-season is going to be hard to erase.
From what i've seen Gibbons is the one who even attempts to block Cripps' man at stoppages. Seen him do it numerous times.

thylacine60

Make me an Admin!
Jun 4, 2006
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Insert Token EPL Club
22 players try their best. They win or lose as a collective. Without being too harsh on umpires, a bad call is bad call. If a game can only be separated by the final kick, gifted by an errant decision, it's a bitter pill to swallow. If the bad call is 17 seconds in, there's a whole game for teams to deal with it. Bad call with the final kick, too bad so sad. Just saying, if it's doubtful, don't pay it. Just gives an insight into an umpire's ability to think logically under extreme pressure.
what you are saying is certain decisions umpires make are more important than others - dependent on the time and score? a different weighting?

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I suspect he was being overcoached. Surely not coincidence that he's played his best two games in the past two weeks when he seemingly had some more flexibility just to do what he is good at.

This is not a criticism of Bolton ... as I'm sure many of the traits he was trying to embed in O'Brien will pay off in the long term.
LOB and Charlie Curnow have had easily their best 2 games this year since Teague took over...not a coincidence.

As Soapy mentioned LOB has been freed up to run and hunt the ball rather than a sacrificial 'decoy' role.

While Charlie had some injury and his own form issues at the start of the year, he seemed to be played much further up the ground, often getting the ball around wing/half forward. Seems like Teague has changed that and has got him playing closer to goal where he's such a big threat, and bang he's kicked 10 goals in 2 games, when he was 8 from 8 previously.

TBH i am critical of Bolton for things like this...not getting the most out of these 2 potential stars and contributing to their loss of confidence. Get the feeling LOB is starting to realise he belongs at AFL level and Charlie just had a breakout game with 7 goals and looked like a future superstar again with his confidence back.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Fascinating how little we understand what players are asked to do or roles to perform each week and how it impacts on public perception.
I know this was in relation to LOB but reckon it can be said of McGovern as well.

The fact Teague keeps praising him directly or indirectly in his press conferences and talks about him playing a sacrificial role to give the likes of Charlie/McKay more space and 1v1's, tells me the coach is happy with his performances and won't be dropped.

Not to say there isn't room for improvement with some of his dropped marks, but contributing more than some people on here seem to think.

Windhover

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2010
Camberwell
AFL Club
Carlton
One has nothing to do with the other though.
How many years on and we still have people complaining about a non-free to Walker in a final that would have likely taken us to the Prelim?

Of course it counts more at the end of the game when it's somewhat more apparent that a call either way could be the difference between a win and a loss.
One can start to strip things back to this point in the game and then this and that, but no one can honestly say they wouldn't be 'disappointed' should the CFC lose a Grand Final to either a blatant bad decision or non-decision in the final seconds of the game.
Indeed. Good umpires can and should award "soft" free kicks and "soft" 50m penalties like the Weitering push in the back at the start of the game v the Doggies. This sends a message to the players that no indiscretion will be tolerated. Smart players cut out the niggling behaviour and play the ball. Dumb players give up multiple infringements and get dropped the next week.

As a game reaches its conclusion and where the result is on the line the umpires often do and certainly should ignore anything other than the most blatant free kicks, for a number of reasons.

1. Unless it is a clear free kick, similar infringements (either not seen or ignored) will not have been called earlier in the game. To have the result influenced by the umpires in those circs is a most unsatisfactory outcome.

2. Often, in the really close contests, there is more than one free kick at a given contest (i.e. at the time of the Leo Barry mark). Better to treat a soft infringement as evening out other potentially soft free kicks rather than picking a soft free kick that is seen that could decide the result.

3. At the end of a cliff-hanger game the spectacle is greatly improved if soft free kicks are ignored and players are allowed to play the game.

As it happens I have never left a game early when we were losing before this game. (I did once arrive late to a game against the tigers at PP when they had jumped us. I left that game with about 15 minutes to go with us scoring about 15 goals to 1 and missed the tigers kicking about 3 in junk time).

On Saturday I left at about the 10 minute mark of the last quarter when we were pinged for deliberate out of bounds. I was disgusted that this free kick would be awarded when on at least 3 earlier occasions I had thought the Doggies should have been pinged for deliberate out of bounds but never were.

After letting out an outburst of abuse I decided to expel myself from the ground and missed the next 2 bully goals and the big comeback. And, fortunately enough, the last controversial free kick, about which I can offer no opinion.

Top Bottom