Autopsy Rd 13 Blues double comeback just falls short in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. This board sings the praises of our players when they have given it to opposition fans, murph to pies faithful I believe was one, yet cry foul when an opposition player dares do the same.

Neither of those acts are acceptable, but I wouldn't be comparing Murphy's off field demeanour to that of Libba

I know this was in relation to LOB but reckon it can be said of McGovern as well.

The fact Teague keeps praising him directly or indirectly in his press conferences and talks about him playing a sacrificial role to give the likes of Charlie/McKay more space and 1v1's, tells me the coach is happy with his performances and won't be dropped.

Not to say there isn't room for improvement with some of his dropped marks, but contributing more than some people on here seem to think.
Or in the case of Mcgovern with the Teague praise its code for he's struggling but he's on a big contract so we'll stick with him .
Id also suggest that's a crazy stupid trade for Mcgovern if he's playing/being used as a decoy .

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces. After a suggestion last week, Champion Data's centre clearance stats have been added as an accompaniment. As it was a close game, the final quarter stats are displayed separately.

Overall Summary - 32 Bounces

Cripps 30
LOB 29 wing
E.Curnow (inj) 22 - Bontempelli 24
Setterfield 20 wing
Murphy 17 (9i, 8w)
Walsh 15 (8i, 7w)
Fisher 9
SPS 8
Dow 8
Cuningham 2

Rucks:
Kreuzer 26 (English 28)
Casboult 6 (Gardner 4)

Centre Clearance Stats (per Champion Data/AFL.com.au

E.Curnow 5
Cripps 4
Fisher 2
Murphy 2
Kreuzer 2
Dow 1
LOB 1

1st Half - 17

Cripps 16
LOB 15 wing
E.Curnow 12
Setterfield 11 wing
Murphy 8 (6w, 2i)
Walsh 7 (5i, 2w)
SPS 6
Fisher 5
Dow 5

Kreuzer 14
Casboult 3

2nd Half - 15

Cripps 14
LOB 14 wing
E.Curnow 10
Setterfield 9 wing
Murphy 9 (7i, 2w)
Walsh 8 (5w, 3i)
Fisher 4
Dow 3
SPS 2
Cuningham 1

Kreuzer 12
Casboult 3

Final Term - 8

Cripps 7
O'Brien 7 wing
Murphy 6 (4i, 2w)
Setterfield 5 wing
Walsh 5 (3i, 2w)
E.Curnow 4
Dow 3
Fisher 2
Cuningham 1

Kreuzer 6
Casboult 2

Notes:
- Most rotations and highest percentage of bounces attended for Setterfield in an analysed game (either club). This was the 2nd analysed game (of his 5 this season) where he attended 50% or more bounces.
- Most rotations and highest percentage of bounces attended for LOB in an analysed game
- Most inside starts for Murphy in an analysed game since Rd 17, 2018

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces. After a suggestion last week, Champion Data's centre clearance stats have been added as an accompaniment. As it was a close game, the final quarter stats are displayed separately.

Cripps 30
LOB 29 wing
Setterfield 20 wing
Murphy 17 (9i, 8w)
Walsh 15 (8i, 7w)
Fisher 9
SPS 8
Dow 8
Cuningham 2

Rucks:
Kreuzer 26 (English 28)
Casboult 6 (Gardner 4)

E.Curnow 5
Cripps 4
Fisher 2
Murphy 2
Kreuzer 2
Dow 1
LOB 1

1st Half - 17

Cripps 16
LOB 15 wing
E.Curnow 12
Setterfield 11 wing
Murphy 8 (6w, 2i)
Walsh 7 (5i, 2w)
SPS 6
Fisher 5
Dow 5

Kreuzer 14
Casboult 3

2nd Half - 15

Cripps 14
LOB 14 wing
E.Curnow 10
Setterfield 9 wing
Murphy 9 (7i, 2w)
Walsh 8 (5w, 3i)
Fisher 4
Dow 3
SPS 2
Cuningham 1

Kreuzer 12
Casboult 3

Final Term - 8

Cripps 7
O'Brien 7 wing
Murphy 6 (4i, 2w)
Setterfield 5 wing
Walsh 5 (3i, 2w)
E.Curnow 4
Dow 3
Fisher 2
Cuningham 1

Kreuzer 6
Casboult 2

Notes:
- Most rotations and highest percentage of bounces attended for Setterfield in an analysed game (either club). This was the 2nd analysed game (of his 5 this season) where he attended 50% or more bounces.
- Most rotations and highest percentage of bounces attended for LOB in an analysed game

Thanks for that, i find these stats interesting and like to see if we make any changes.

Where can i find these stats? Unless you're up for posting this in our autopsy threads each week..

3. I haven't seen Carlton come back from 5-6 goals down twice in a game and nearly pinch it - think about this - we were 30 points down with 11 minutes to go and nearly won...that is insane

Was watching this game live when I woke up Saturday morning in the States and was heading to a footy tournament here. Tuned in with the game tied late 3Q. After the run the Doggies put on at that point, thought it was all over. Imagine my shock when we stayed in. Think there's something to build on there for sure...

Fresh news:
Josh Dunkley has signed a new contract. So put a line through that prospect.

And no surprise that Charlie's heat map over the last 2 rounds saw him in the 50m arc alot more, compared to middle of the ground in the earlier rounds.

Looking forward to our next win??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our best is awesome. Perhaps up with the best in the league. Almost unstoppable.

Our baseline is too low. There will always be momentum swings in games. When it’s not going our way we need to be better. Grind them down more. Make them work harder for longer to score against us. That’s where we need to improve, but lucky for us there is plenty of room for improvement.

And why I’ve warmed to the Ross Lyon option.

Fresh news:
Josh Dunkley has signed a new contract. So put a line through that prospect.

And no surprise that Charlie's heat map over the last 2 rounds saw him in the 50m arc alot more, compared to middle of the ground in the earlier rounds.

Looking forward to our next win??

Heat maps since Rnd 1 ...

bed5940994ea086d91b6cfd981090911

67fb681202d0f3a3b6b6465c27847eac

Heat maps since Rnd 1 ...

bed5940994ea086d91b6cfd981090911

67fb681202d0f3a3b6b6465c27847eac

So happy to see Teague put Charlie closer to goal...i was getting frustrated that he was always up on the wing and not able to impact the scoreboard himself under Bolton when he's probably our best attacking weapon.

Teague is showing good signs as a coach so far...you can only change so much midway through a season in terms of game plan, but he's made some seemingly obvious, but good tweaks.

Simple things such as always having a forward closer to goal and as a long bail out kick, being more aggressive in offence and defence to keep the ball in our half, and positional changes for the likes of Charlie, LOB & Ed. Also put Walsh more in the middle rather than wing which paid off vs Brisbane.

Not to dance on his grave, but the more you look at it the more Bolton seemed to be a poor coach tactically.

So happy to see Teague put Charlie closer to goal...i was getting frustrated that he was always up on the wing and not able to impact the scoreboard himself under Bolton when he's probably our best attacking weapon.

Teague is showing good signs as a coach so far...you can only change so much midway through a season in terms of game plan, but he's made some seemingly obvious, but good tweaks.

Simple things such as always having a forward closer to goal and as a long bail out kick, being more aggressive in offence and defence to keep the ball in our half, and positional changes for the likes of Charlie, LOB & Ed. Also put Walsh more in the middle rather than wing which paid off vs Brisbane.

Not to dance on his grave, but the more you look at it the more Bolton seemed to be a poor coach tactically.

I think Bolts was great for our club - but not great on game day.

Had a few days to get over the anguish now and with a calmer viewpoint I must say I was wrapped with the game. (not so walking out of ground:tearsofjoy:) So many positives and gave me a sense that we are never out of it now in spite of poor quarters. Been a long time since we could say that. I'm old enough to remember when it was ALWAYS like that. THAT IS CARLTON and we are coming back.
Teague IMO has been a revelation and must be favourite to hold job. Can only see him improving as season goes on. Good Luck and WELL DONE!!!

Now please..... Jack :backwarrow::heavycheck:

That last goal, the clearance and LOB long bomb to Charlie's chest. Perfect. I'm looking forward to a strong finish to the end of the year, I reckon we finish better than Suns and Dees if their woes continue.
And hopefully the Saints

Cripps 30
LOB 29 wing
Setterfield 20 wing
Murphy 17 (9i, 8w)
Walsh 15 (8i, 7w)
Fisher 9
SPS 8
Dow 8
Cuningham 2

Rucks:
Kreuzer 26 (English 28)
Casboult 6 (Gardner 4)

E.Curnow 5
Cripps 4
Fisher 2
Murphy 2
Kreuzer 2
Dow 1
LOB 1

1st Half - 17

Cripps 16
LOB 15 wing
E.Curnow 12
Setterfield 11 wing
Murphy 8 (6w, 2i)
Walsh 7 (5i, 2w)
SPS 6
Fisher 5
Dow 5

Kreuzer 14
Casboult 3

2nd Half - 15

Cripps 14
LOB 14 wing
E.Curnow 10
Setterfield 9 wing
Murphy 9 (7i, 2w)
Walsh 8 (5w, 3i)
Fisher 4
Dow 3
SPS 2
Cuningham 1

Kreuzer 12
Casboult 3

Final Term - 8

Cripps 7
O'Brien 7 wing
Murphy 6 (4i, 2w)
Setterfield 5 wing
Walsh 5 (3i, 2w)
E.Curnow 4
Dow 3
Fisher 2
Cuningham 1

Kreuzer 6
Casboult 2

Notes:
Magnificent... Cheers ...

Back