Autopsy Rd 13 Blues double comeback just falls short in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 19, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Big frizz, Murph is exceptional when he has the ball in hand.
its when he hasn't got the ball in hand worries me.

he gets brushed aside to easily, he can't tackle....

Like when the big Mummy decided to brush him aside mate was he looking for the easy ball then
He has been a loyal and great servant of this club

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
Harry needs to be better with his body positioning, both when one on one particularly by holding his man out of the line of the fall of the ball then pushing off for his own advantage and also not getting pushed off and under too easily with the incoming ball around the packs, his doing extremely well for the small amount of games his played so far, I'd like to think when his game improves over the next 50 games his contested game should go through the roof to another level. Harry and Charlie are going to be just awesome to watch...

needs to get 'thicker', i think with more core strength he'll be better at holding space with his body. still young, especially for his size and position. he's almost a year younger than curnow iirc.

Dec 26, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe, but the MC have repeatedly praised Plowman so it doesn't appear he'll get dropped.

Big selection headache after the bye about how to fit Jones back into the team without making us too top heavy.
Out of Levi, Weitering, Marchbank & Plowman it's actually Marchy who could get dropped, even though he's been pretty solid.

If Marchy gets dropped for Liam, Liam would be the tallest hbf’er we’ve had since the mercurial Ian Aitken, the man whose career was virtually ended by dirty Clarko in the Battle of Britain of 1987..

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Mate what’s your bent against Murph did he kill your cat or something

I would love to be singing MM's praises, love him to be a leader of men, a first rate footballer (still); but he isn't. In my view the game has gone past him. Nothing more. This was a selection error in my opinion. Murph should either have rested one more week, or maybe played limited time in the 2's, proving his form and fitness like anyone else.

Probably a ripping bloke, and a former captain always gets my respect, but I can only comment on what I see. Murph was missing in the first half when we needed him, flashed with brilliance through the 3rd q when the comeback was in full swing, and then was absent again, except for some injudicious disposals to (seemingly) avoid contact.

I have nothing against him, it's just, in racing parlance, I 'prefer others'.

Hands On

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I've said before that when Jones had his "resurgence" as a player his best game was as a forward/ruck in the VFL. He was awesome. I would be very happy to see him given a go at this in the second half of the year.
SO would I., It hink he would
How is it a logical move with merit?
Excuse my poor command of the English language.

With Cas firing in the back line, I have never seen Jones perform for the Northern Blues but as Soapy and others have mentioned, Jones killed it in the VFL as a mobile ruck man/on baller. It would be logical to try him as ruck ruck rover type in the seniors. We are not going to make finals so their maybe heaps of value in an this type of experiment. Nothing to loose plenty to gain he is a reasonable kick and good in the air.

mikeythemoocow

Cancelled
Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Mar 17, 2005
Nakatomi Plaza
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Aussie Ahmed
Our best is awesome. Perhaps up with the best in the league. Almost unstoppable.

Our baseline is too low. There will always be momentum swings in games. When it’s not going our way we need to be better. Grind them down more. Make them work harder for longer to score against us. That’s where we need to improve, but lucky for us there is plenty of room for improvement.

The Flying Doormat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2008
Carrickalinga
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tranmere Rovers
Have you worked out the average player errors/turnovers per game, from fulltime players?

Stop blaming the umpires, nothing they do has ever decided the result of a game

Beg to differ.

1560690617418.png

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Matt Suckling 30 with over 150 games
Lochie O'Brien 19 with about 30 games

no idea
And further to this, Suckling was recruited by the Hawks as a 20 year old & only played 6 games in his first 2 seasons at the club. This is the luxury that clubs like Hawthorn have had, the depth to enable young players to spend sufficient time in the VFL to develop their game.

Gibbs/Murphy/Judd - and ' the rest' mentality is the road that teh Club took to get us to where we are now - all very predictable.
Our best is awesome. Perhaps up with the best in the league. Almost unstoppable.

Our baseline is too low. There will always be momentum swings in games. When it’s not going our way we need to be better. Grind them down more. Make them work harder for longer to score against us. That’s where we need to improve, but lucky for us there is plenty of room for improvement.

Spot on.

Improvement = A coach doesn't play blokes who wont or cant tackle.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
LO'B was enormous yesterday....just watched the replay again, and his run on the outside was huge.

He's played two cracking games now in a row, gives us a taste of his potential when he matures. He played a similar game in the Dawks pre season practice match this year, which he was incredibly impressive.

He so much reminds me of a young Isaac Smith, with the dangerous raking left footer.

I also noticed in one passage, we took possession on a half forward on the left side of the goal...the players in the vicinity were LO'B, Simmo, Newman and Fish...all raking left footers. They are so important for team balance, just look at the Dawks in their 3peat.

Don't think its any co-incidence that we picked up Joshy De, another left footer.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Sadly for every good thing Murph does he throws in a shocker (stupid turnover, missed tackle, “hospital pass” to avoid a tackle, floater kicks that nearly get teammates killed).

Some poster choose to remember only the good and ignore the latter.

I find him incredibly frustrating to watch.
And then some only choose to remember the bad while ignoring the good. On here it goes both ways. The battle I see is being on the right side of the debate because if you aren't there are those who want to question your footy knowledge, whether you are part of a clique, perhaps wearing blue tinted glasses or just STFU.

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
needs to get 'thicker', i think with more core strength he'll be better at holding space with his body. still young, especially for his size and position. he's almost a year younger than curnow iirc.

Yeah agree . Harry still gangly. Can’t wait to see him and his teammates in another year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Clawing respect back with these kinds of performances, but I reckon the umpire missed a 50m penalty call for O'Brien at the death there.
Absolutely. My Dad and I were yelling at the umpire through the TV at the time about it. He let go of the ball, picked it up the just dropped it, was dragged off it but dragged it with him then just let it go again.. definitely should've been 50.

Last edited:

teknodeejay

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Arsenal
Oh yeah...

Again, one incident in 120 minutes filled with player errors and turnovers

Umpires make errors just like players

🤷🏾‍♂️Can’t rationalise with someone who makes expert comment without watching much of it despite evidence to the contrary. 🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️

Back