Opinion Rd 13 Bye week - Luved , Liked, hated so far in 2022.

Who is the most improved player this year based on expectations from where they started.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Like.
Injuries. They are pretty much all medium term and have overlapped.

It’s forced the match committee to find something positive out of a crisis.
And that’s meant finding roles for kids.

(I just don’t want them circa rnd 17)

And therefor I’ve liked what the coaches have done.

Disliked
Ball use.
Can’t we get Gazza in one day a week to teach 8 or so key players how to deliver the ball?

Loved: The Djilang Guernsey.
Liked: Fresh faces (and some old ones like James Kelly and HT)
Hated: Losing to hawthorn.

Think I might swing by this forum to question the relevant Cats board member about disability parking at K Park-
(yes I know, bee in bonnet). You can Hear from CEO Steve Hocking with a Club update and insights into the season so far.
AND ask questions.

Event Details (email back RSVP)
Tuesday 5 July
6.00pm - 7.30pm
Medallion Club, Marvel Stadium

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere or not, but this is what's been working for us this year. As expected, our fwd line has been very good so far and defense is much improved from last year in these key stats.

Category2021 Avg.Rank2022 Avg.Rank
Key 2022 StatScore per Inside 5042.6%#1146.3%#2
Up in 2022Score per Inside 50 Against42.9%#1040.50%#3
Down in 2022Contested Possession Diff.+13.2#1+1.1#9

The Cats are riding high with an 8-4 record and it's easy to see why. They are one of the best teams in the AFL at not only scoring once getting the ball inside their forward 50, but one of the best at preventing scores once it goes inside their defensive 50. With Jeremy Cameron (38 goals) and Tom Hawkins (33) first and third in the Coleman Medal race respectively, it's not surprising Geelong is ranked second for scores per inside 50, up markedly from its ranking of 11th in 2021. Defensively they are the third-best in the competition for conceding scores from inside 50s, another huge improvement from 10th last year.

Last edited:
Stengle should have more votes. He was coming from a long way back. two different clubs and probably his last chance to make any impact.

Sam De Koning was being touted as potential star the moment he was drafted. He always looked like he had that special quality even when he was learning his craft in the VFL. What he is doing now is only scratching the surface of what he will be as a player in year four or five.

Stengle's currently averaging 14 disposals & a fraction under 2 goals per game. Some predicted he was capable of 30 goals (maybe 40) but he is now our most dangerous small forward.
Based on expectations, Stengle's been a bolter in the AFL in 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved:
*De Koning- The most exciting player we've recruited from the draft that I can recall since GAJ, Kelly, SJ, and Bartel draft. To have a KPP who is the envy of every other team is simply outstanding.
*Stengle- a revelation, in much the same way Pods was when he came to be in our 22, albeit he is much younger than Pods.
*Atkins, and ZGuthrie- excellent improvement, meaning our bottom 6 will no longer be a weakness or a standout for the wrong reasons if they maintain the rage.
*Cameron- brilliant match-winner who really plays the way it should be played, so befitting of a #5 at GFC.
*8 wins- sets us up nicely for the last 10 games given the talent not available in those first 12 weeks. The fact that we have been written off as serious top 4 aspirants by nearly everyone, yet we are still relevant.

Liked:
*No reports, no unnecessary games missed
*CS continues to show us the reason the GFC rates him so highly.
*The ongoing Mr Fixit Blicavs heading towards another B&F.
*Our forward line is enviable.
*Eddie, Pops and Harry seem to have slotted in so well. Eddie must be lauded for the Stengle results so far.

Hated:
* INJURIES as always. Danger, HENRY, Holmes, Menegola, Simpson, Sav, Ceglar, Stanley- all potential best 22 this year have missed substantial numbers of games. The Henry injury particularly is frustrating for me as I had him as our most exciting and valuable player late last year.
*The way we have let teams absolutely domiante us with seemingly no capacity to stop it. Pies, Swans, Saints, Freo, even the Doggies.
*Losing to Hawthorn. Say no more.
*Injuries- did I mention injuries? But there is some good out of them, as lesser lights in Atkins and ZG have really stepped up.
Liked your monologue. DeKoning is looking like a diamond in his draft. The 4 players you mentioned are legendary. Would be great if DeKoning could have a long and successful career.

I'm liking where we are positioned at the moment.
Next 4 games for each of the top 6 teams, my reading of likely win, tough match, likely loss (bye = loss)
Brisbane Bye Melbourne Bulldogs Essendon 1-2-1
Melbourne Bye Brisbane Adelaide Geelong 1-2-1
Fremantle Bye Carlton Port St Kilda 1-2-1
Carlton Richmond, Fremantle St Kilda West Coast 2-2-0
Geelong West Coast, Richmond North Melbourne 3-1-0
St Kilda Essendon, Sydney Carlton Fremantle 1-3-0

In Round 15, Melbourne play Brisbane and Freo play Carlton, those teams effectively negate each other.
In Round 16, St Kilda and Carlton negate each other.
In Round 17, Freo and St Kilda fight it out.
If Geelong can roll over the top of Melbourne in round 17, we could be on top of the ladder!

I'm liking where we are positioned at the moment.
Next 4 games for each of the top 6 teams, my reading of likely win, tough match, likely loss (bye = loss)
Brisbane Bye Melbourne Bulldogs Essendon 1-2-1
Melbourne Bye Brisbane Adelaide Geelong 1-2-1
Fremantle Bye Carlton Port St Kilda 1-2-1
Carlton Richmond, Fremantle St Kilda West Coast 2-2-0
Geelong West Coast, Richmond North Melbourne 3-1-0
St Kilda Essendon, Sydney Carlton Fremantle 1-3-0

In Round 15, Melbourne play Brisbane and Freo play Carlton, those teams effectively negate each other.
In Round 16, St Kilda and Carlton negate each other.
In Round 17, Freo and St Kilda fight it out.
If Geelong can roll over the top of Melbourne in round 17, we could be on top of the ladder!
Richmond knocking off Carlton works even better for us this week. In effect the top 4 teams have all 'lost'!

Edit - And St Kilda goes down to ESSENDON!! 5 of the top 6 teams lose. If we beat West Coast, we've stolen a game on everyone else in the top 6!

Last edited:
Back