Review Rd 13 - Ports v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought our small defenders were more of a problem than our talls. A few times Pittard and Bonner were beaten one out and conceded goals. They looked a bit light and lacking the core strength of their opposition.

Agreed, they didn’t want to push back hard in the contest and were there for the sake of being there but not really influencing the contest.

I looked at Pittard and Bonner especially who looked so thin through the core. And they were easily beaten in marking contests by more solid looking guys who probably have similar height/weight stats. And between them they probably had 25 possessions so not all that damaging.

Over a long season of running football it's probably to their advantage but 5 points up in a grand final and a Hail Mary opposition kick into the F50 with one of those guys one out and it will be heart in mouth time.

I looked at Pittard and Bonner especially who looked so thin through the core. And they were easily beaten in marking contests by more solid looking guys who probably have similar height/weight stats. And between them they probably had 25 possessions so not all that damaging.

Over a long season of running football it's probably to their advantage but 5 points up in a grand final and a Hail Mary opposition kick into the F50 with one of those guys one out and it will be heart in mouth time.
Ken seems keen on Broady getting back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question is who Broadbent actually replaces. I wouldn't drop Houston, DBJ, Bonner or any of our KPDs for him, so the only option is maybe Pittard (not certain I would even do that until Broadbent puts together some good form in the Sanfl).

The question is who Broadbent actually replaces. I wouldn't drop Houston, DBJ, Bonner or any of our KPDs for him, so the only option is maybe Pittard (not certain I would even do that until Broadbent puts together some good form in the Sanfl).
It's a ways off even Ken indicated he might need a month in the Sanfl, he'll come back in though Ken was pretty keen.

I looked at Pittard and Bonner especially who looked so thin through the core. And they were easily beaten in marking contests by more solid looking guys who
Cheated. Yeah cheated, when Howard was pushed out of position by Wallis in the 3rd qtr he turned to the ump and said WOT!
We've gotta learn the art of getting an oppo player out of the way in 1v1 marking contests.
Both Bonner and Clurey need to be better at spoiling too, even if your in front but slightly under the ball. Jonas is pretty good at it.
LT could well school team mates in subtle body work. 1st qtr he executed a text book body check to his oppo without giving a push
in the back free away. Carey spoke a few years ago about this calling it "guarding space". Said for a CHF it was vital.
Well it's pretty handy all over the ground. Richmond Hawthorn and Geelong did it to us.
We're a bit too naive sometimes and the umps are not going to call it out very often especially against us.

I don't have much confidence in Clurey and even Houston in that situation either. All of these guys rely on weight of numbers and having the likes of Jonas and Howard come in over the top with the spoil.

But I guess that's the system we play. If it gets to the point where a defender is isolated one on one inside 50, the system has already broken down upfield.

KT is correct though in that we need national exposure and a standalone Thursday night fixture televised nationwide on 7 provides that for us. We're never going to be smashing crowd records on Thursday nights, would just be ideal to get better weather and maybe push into the mid 30ks.
Ken seems keen on Broady getting back
He would have been a good replacement for Hammer had he not been injured. Having both of them in the team didn’t work that well. His experience could be useful come finals too. Hope he comes back strong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back