AFL Autopsy Rd 14, 2019: 35 point loss to The West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

27 touch 15 mark game to Hooker. Begley, Lav and Redmen all went ok. Nice for those young blokes to travel and have a decent game. Guelf a shame.

Did not get much from our 2 attacking backs in Saad and McKenna and got nothing much from our 2 classy smalls up forward. Oh well.
Watch the game again, we got not much from anyone, very flat effort.

Nothing changes against these top 4 sides. We get dominated between the arcs & concede ridiculous i50’s.

We have no cohesion or understanding on how to link between each 3rd of the ground when we play sides who get up in our grill or no idea how to adjust & improvise.

That’s on the conservative coach who won’t improve us anywhere near enough to contend. Sooner we part ways with him the better.

Not surprised at me mentioning to the wife a few changes that should be made in the 3rd only to to see the 2nd blend into the 3rd. Reminds me so much of the Knights era. Just less severe, so we give a little more slack to the current coach.
I'm not a Worsfold hater although....I never wanted him, but accepted we had to have him for the optics and what not. Plus he had all the attributes, captain flag, coach flag. Who else but him? I still feel a bit stooged though. Happy to see his contract out but gotta look forward as a club. Big test next week. And the week after that and after that and ....

We just needed someone who could mark our desperate clearing balls off the halfback line. Very hard to set up anything when it comes straight back into the 50 every time
Stringer wouldve been huge. We are missing Daniher too

Not sure he would’ve been huge.

Jake Stringer isn’t the difference between us last week and tonight, which by rights should’ve been a massive, massive loss.

The difference is the opposition.

Once again, we just don’t stand up against well-drilled sides who set up and defend well.

They shut the gate and we just keep driving into it and bouncing off.

And we have the cattle to be more competitive.

Our game plan doesn’t work against them.

One step clearing kicks - which ended up going about five metres forward - happened way too much.

It's one thing to struggle if teams take our run away, which really you have to expect the reigning Premiers to be capable of doing. But it's another for our pressure to drop off as well.

I thought we'd made improvements in previous weeks to compete in the air up forward but McGovern and a few others had a bit too much fun picking us off.

Midfield will hopefully learn from tonight. A lot of panicking in close.

Laverde is starting to look really exciting, hopefully he stays fit. Begley seemed to have a bit of luck but deserves it and worked hard. Redman fighting back after his struggles earlier was impressive too.

Not too many have come out of this one looking fantastic but it has to have been expected that this would be a tough one imo. GWS on our home deck next week is another good test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s long overdue. I’m ready to unleash a monumental controlled tirade that will cause shock and awe but also with snippets of agreement in the spirit of common sense in the way this god awful pathetic side goes about their footy.

Stay tuned..stand by...it’s coming my red and black brothers..and the odd sister out there.

1 man down and we went to s**t. McGovern is a good. Every time we play then he seems to like to push or throw someone into the fence. He's a thug in every sense of the word

I feared this would happen in the preseason, but we rely way too much on goals from defensive chains because that’s very easy to cut off. As stats suggest, we’re 18th in the competition for scores from forward half turnovers/clearances.

We have to go to McKenna and Saad to score. That’s very predictable. As we saw, we couldn’t leave our defensive 50 without Saad or McKenna carrying it through. Tag them and we’re finished. Woosha has his work cut out for him because everyone will do that now.

What was the difference between tonight and this time last year? You made us look like witches hats last year. I feel like we were playing better footy last year.
I think we're still trying to implement a defensive game introduced by Truck Rutten. Losing Guelfi seemed to lose us a lot of defensive drive as well as a rotation. We also didn't have as much run from Saad, McKenna and Fantasia. And Josh Green. Simmo found us out by shutting down the half back drive. Whether John has a plan B for that we might know in 8 or 9 weeks. Then it might be implemented in Round 1 but Zaharakis will be integral to it.

Thursday night is the best night to have a perth trip.

Knowing we are most likely going to play like s**t its easy for me turn it off once they are smashing us since i have to get up at 4am for work the next day.

I notice at stoppages we are like bees to the honey pot, then handbsll to each other trying to get out but mostly we are all too close, 4 handballs and we are still in the same spot.

Wce seem to work it to the defensive side of the contest then have wave runners hook back around whoever has the ball, receive handbsll then the next mid hooks round back of him and they are out.

We never once seemed to station that side of the contest, not even a sentinel..They used it every time to get out and go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back