AFL Autopsy Rd 14, 2019: 35 point loss to The West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

A fair way away yet. Zaka, Langers, Hurls very dissapointing tonight. Saad well held and Raz and Tippa couldn't get near it. Hooksey, Heppell, Merrett were solid for most of the game. Some calls need to be made list wise come end of the season. We need to bite the bullet and just accept a mid to late 3rd rounder for Langford and possibly the same for Zaka and move on. Both are the epitome of mediocrity, whilst there maybe some upside for Langers we can't keep carying him waiting for him to become the player we thought he'd be.

A fair way away yet. Zaka, Langers, Hurls very dissapointing tonight. Saad well held and Raz and Tippa couldn't get near it. Hooksey, Heppell, Merrett were solid for most of the game. Some calls need to be made list wise come end of the season. We need to bite the bullet and just accept a mid to late 3rd rounder for Langford and possibly the same for Zaka and move on. Both are the epitome of mediocrity, whilst there maybe some upside for Langers we can't keep carying him waiting for him to become the player we thought he'd be.
Langford was going pretty well for the month before tonight mate. A tad harsh.

Disagree but that's life.
Thought he had a very good night, one howler but was one to never keep his head down and keep providing run, only one of our players to get over 500metres gained and easily our best kicker going inside 50 for the night.
I don’t think he was awful, but I certainly wouldn’t describe it as a very good night. Wasn’t as sharp with his disposals or composed as he usually is.

We still would’ve lost but you don’t stand a chance when battling the umpires all game. I have no doubt it changes the direction of a match when umpires constantly favour one side.
Yep. Their confidence builds as ours gets diminished. The loss became inevitable by half time.
It’s not a 79 pt Nth Melb miracle. I’ll only see that once in my life.

I don’t think he was awful, but I certainly wouldn’t describe it as a very good night. Wasn’t as sharp with his disposals or composed as he usually is.
Thought that was the case in the first half but again he bounced back really well in the second half, don’t think many of our players had a 4 quarter performance so I’m still inclined to have him as one of our bests on his second half output alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few things:

1. When it comes to reading the flight of the ball, McKernan is illiterate.
2. When we're moving the ball down the ground, there's a noticeable few players who are unable of making a snap decision and kicking on quickly to advantage. Holding the ball for two seconds makes an enormous difference to an unorganised defence.
3. When we're kicking the ball to our forwards, high and slow delivery will not do. Especially with our short and mobile set up.
4. Smaller players need to make sure they don't all fly for the same marking contest and concede the ground.
5. It's too little too late to change the magnets at three quarter time.

Away game v. The Premiers.
No Daniher, no Stringer.
Guelfi out = less defensive pressure and a man down. We were always going to struggle. John may not survive another couple of losses.

You make a good point about Stringer missing because there were two or three times when Brown was beaten in ways that Stringer wouldn't have been but to be fair to Brown they are different players.

Thought that was the case in the first half but again he bounced back really well in the second half, don’t think many of our players had a 4 quarter performance so I’m still inclined to have him as one of our bests on his second half output alone.
Agree to disagree I guess.

I have at least Merrett, Heppell, Hooker, Begley, Parish and Laverde better than Redman. Anyway, I’m not concerned at all. He’s a great player.

Shocked!

We got slapped around with waves of pressure at the contest and the wheels fell off rather quick.

Lets hope that pressure loses its vibe in finals in years to come and we can rock up and perform our corridor pretty stuff...

I know they did most of their damage in the 3rd quarter but geez that 2nd quarter was diabolically bad. Completely unacceptable level of competitiveness from our team for large portions of the game today. We aren't going to get anywhere until we can get games on our terms a lot more consistently.

Langford was going pretty well for the month before tonight mate. A tad harsh.
I can only see him as a half forward, with Begley, Laverde, Stringer all similar size and types. I can't see how or where he fits in going forward. I can really only see him as depth that's about it. If you take a look at his last 3 games, whilst they weren't bad they weren't great either. Against the tiges he did sfa for most of the game then kicked 3 junk time goals in the end when the game was done. Against Carlton he played an ok 16 touch 1 goal game. Hawks game last week was prob his best out of the 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back