AFL Autopsy Rd 14, 2019: 35 point loss to The West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

same issues as always.
Bad skills.
Bad decision making.
Bad umpiring (surprise surpirse in perth)
Coach wont make a move.

We cannot control the idiot umpires, but we can control the other 3. Yet we dont seem to make any small, let alone significent improvements in these deficiencies.

So the result not really a surprise i guess.

Lucky we have GWS next week after they are nice and rested after a bye, and we after a trip to perth...
Way to schedule AFL....
Don't know why you're complaining about the umpiring. We only got 1 more umpiring decision as wasn't it 23 to 22 from my understanding, or something like that?

Definitely one of those games where the umpiring was against us for the entire time the game was on the line. Two goals denied to us under dubious circumstances and at least one set shot on goal for them at close range. I'm inclined to think that it didn't effect the outcome at all, but we are actually a confidence side that gets up a head of steam and they certainly helped deny us that opportunity.

Interesting bit about our game from McGowan's article on the AFL website. Third most flattering margin for a team that has conceded 20 more scoring shots than their opponent in the last 20 years.

Wayward out west
West Coast is one of the sharpest-kicking clubs in front of goal this year, but that wasn't the case at Optus Stadium on Thursday night.

The Eagles kicked 14.22 (106) to Essendon's 11.5 (71), making the 35-point margin flattering to John Worsfold's Bombers.

Only twice in the past two decades has a team won by less despite having at least 20 extra scoring shots than its opposition.

Adelaide 12.28 (100) defeated North Melbourne 10.7 (67) in round 14, 2016, while Geelong 14.24 (108) downed the Eagles 12.6 (78) way back in round 20, 2000.

Don't know why you're complaining about the umpiring. We only got 1 more umpiring decision as wasn't it 23 to 22 from my understanding, or something like that?
It’s also the frees that aren’t paid. Kennedy grabbed and pulled Ambrose off his line so Cameron could run into an open goal (last qtr from memory). Doesn’t show up in the stats.

It’s not the reason Essendon lost. We were terrible and West Coast were almost fantastic (goal kicking let them down). Your boys clearly have the rub of the umps on your home turf every game and it’s the biggest advantage in the league. I said it before, during and after the game.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGovern's challenge was always unlikely to succeed in that he performed an infringement ' a push in the back ' that resulted in a free kick - Maybe had a chance if it was a side bump.

You just made that up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back