Preview Rd 14 - Carlton v GWS Sat June 19 7.25pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see a week off as doing much in relation to any of the above - you may get a week or two of improvement but it will go back to being what it has been for a long time. Its a whole club mindset issue and will take more than a week of 'soul searching' to fix.

As I said, "I'm hoping". I'd love to be a fly on the wall, cause from the outside looking in, imo, there appears to be a disharmony within the way we are playing. Either it's one game plan with 22 interpretations of it, different rules for different players, lack of flexibility with the game plan, players playing out of position, the list of why we do the same thing every week is endless.

Any intel on this Matthew Flynn bloke? After worrying about mumford mma-ing walsh into oblivion, are we more confident with this change?

Can Pittonet recapture his 2020 form?
From the same town as Williams, Narrandera in the Riverina. Was on the GWS list for nearly 2000 days before playing his first game this year. Has been one of the best SC/DT/Fantasy rookies this year.

201 & 104kg. Played 8 games, averaging 20 HO & 6.8 to adv, 12.4 disp, 4.5 marks, 0.6 goals, 4.4 score involvements, 2.8 tackles & 11.4 PA. Wins 41.2% of HO & 33.8% to adv.

Compare - StatsPro (afl.com.au)

From the same town as Williams, Narrandera in the Riverina. Was on the GWS list for nearly 2000 days before playing his first game this year. Has been one of the best SC/DT/Fantasy rookies this year.

201 & 104kg. Played 8 games, averaging 20 HO & 6.8 to adv, 12.4 disp, 4.5 marks, 0.6 goals, 4.4 score involvements, 2.8 tackles & 11.4 PA. Wins 41.2% of HO & 33.8% to adv.

Compare - StatsPro (afl.com.au)
Sounds similar to what we hope TDK is developing into.

Interested to see whether there is a positive response from the playing group, and if it lasts for more than a fleeting moment.
I have a feeling it will really depend on how we start.

If GWS get the jump on us we'll melt. If we start well it could launch us to the rest of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that comment in relation to this week's selection?
Yes. LOB should be getting games ahead of MK, not that I begrudge his opportunity. I just don't see him ever accumulating possessions at senior level as a midfielder. Especially as Cottrell has been dropped as a wing - that's LOB's best position.

Happy to see Matt playing forward, but I doubt that's how he'll be used.

If our team selection isn't under the microscope with this review, it will have been a waste of time.
I daresay it has. There are already signs of improvement and different thinking:

-Murphy listed as an omission (rather than managed) is a big deal IMO.
-Matthew "the Butcher" Cottrell being dropped is good too, although I would have preferred if LOB came straight in.
-Dow being listed in the centre square tells me we're planning on giving him every opportunity to succeed.

I'm still annoyed Setterfield and likely Kennedy will be mismanaged by being played out of position, but it is a start.

Yes. LOB should be getting games ahead of MK, not that I begrudge his opportunity. I just don't see him ever accumulating possessions at senior level as a midfielder. Especially as Cottrell has been dropped as a wing - that's LOB's best position.

Happy to see Matt playing forward, but I doubt that's how he'll be used.
Going off the team sheet, which obviously could mean SFA, to me it looks like our mids are structured like this:

Inside: Cripps, Dow, Curnow + Kennedy Bench
Outside: Walsh, Doc + Fisher bench

There will be some rotations there, would think Walsh would spend some time inside & Fish will go forward as well as Martin/Fog coming up around the ball/wing, but overall that 4+3 structure makes sense to me.

Leaving the rest of the team, which actually seems pretty balanced:

Tall def: Weitering, Jones, Parks
Gen def: Williams, Saad, Stocker, Newman

Tall fwd: Harry, TDK, Jack
Gen fwd: Martin, Fogarty, Owies, Betts

Ruck: Pitto (TDK)

we'll be fine saturday night if

• we turn up
  • we don't get too far behind
  • we don't get too far in front
  • we can somehow stop a block of opposition goals
  • we can somehow score a block of our own
  • we tackle hard
  • we kick straight
  • we run both ways
  • we support each other
  • we don't run out of legs
  • we do win the clearances
  • we spread the load
  • we play attacking but defend and shape things when needed
I reckon we will win if -

We kick a higher score than they do... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back