Autopsy Rd 14 - Cats beat Dogs after the siren. The this is gonna be good thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all. Long time lurker first time poster. What worries me about this team ( I honestly believe we have one of the most talented lists) but I feel like we completely sh*t the bed at crucial times. I was watching the game live and with about a minute left at half forward was screamint kick it back kick it back, wind down the clock- and what do they do, they kick it long to a contest and completely open up the game in the last 45 seconds. This has triggered me so bad that this is my first post after being on here for 3 years. Like if I can recognise this how can they not out on the ground. I think we’re too immature still. There’s not way we are winning the premiership this year. I just don’t think they are ready unfortunately. Anyway thanks for listening maybe I will contribute more in the future
Good post and keep contributing….. it’s a great Bulldogs community on here. There are always a few idiots but mostly everyone is just passionate about the Dogs.

Keep posting 😊

I know it very difficult to do on that cigar shaped ground but I'm not sure why we didn't try 'keepings off' in the last minute or so. A few short leadups sideways and backwards may have got us over the line. Hindsight!

All we had to do was kick it back once in the last two minutes and I think the r result would have been diffrent

No excuse to not have significant numbers behind the ball when Dogs had possession on the wing with a minute to go…. Geelong were always going to slingshot through the middle in high risk mode given the match situation, so to be one on one initially and then severely outnumbered in your own defence after Cordy’s kick was turned over is just very poor match management.

Good thing is it happened in Round 14, not a final so lessons can be learnt. As a Tigers supporter in 2017 we lost 2 games in a row basically after the siren due to poor structures at the death …. it was the worst I’ve ever felt as a supporter, I was shattered … but we learned some great lessons and the rest is history.

No Dunkley, Treloar, Martin and Naughton against a full strength Geelong on their cow-pat… I’d be very confident as a Dogs supporter as I thought Cats should win easily based on team availability and home ground.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Conceding goals in the last 90 seconds of quarters has been happening for a fricken long time. The buck stops with the coach for not addressing it. If this game doesn't wake them up, nothing will

I'm sure most were guttered like me, but in hindsight, what pisses me off is the 3 chances to ice it.. ...

Bonts missed sitter
Scott misses a sitter
And...
Weightmans dropped mark inside 50 at the death would have probably iced the game. He would have taken his 30 seconds and had a shot..... Unusual for Cody as he normally has good hands..

So damn frustrating.. 😡

yep. If he puts it close to the line and it goes over, its a free kick.

I guess in 20/20 hindsight, a free kick on the wing with 40s to go is the least worse option, but its a tough split second call to make.

I think apart from the obvious players who are clearly keeping a spot warm for currently injured players, Im starting to question Crozier. His decision making and disposal isnt flash and he is fumbly and panicky in close. Great and rugged aerialist, and he has served us well, but I wonder if we can slot someone back there who is either better in close or offers better run and carry? Actually the answer is Wood, isnt it. Not a lot of run and carry, but he is stronger in the contest.

Our back line just lacks class and polish

I won’t watch the footage again as I’m too pissed off, but Cordy did ok in that last bit of play for mine.

I'm sure most were guttered like me, but in hindsight, what pisses me off is the 3 chances to ice it.. ...

Bonts missed sitter
Scott misses a sitter
And...
Weightmans dropped mark inside 50 at the death would have probably iced the game. He would have taken his 30 seconds and had a shot..... Unusual for Cody as he normally has good hands..

So damn frustrating.. 😡
Wasn’t the Weightman one touched?

Just in case anyone missed it earlier

Bugger right off Hannan. Anyone that rated you has absolutely no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bonts missed sitter
Scott misses a sitter
And...

So damn frustrating.. 😡

Weightmans mark was called touch anyway but would have been good to hold it in anyway.

So damn frustrating.. 😡

Which dropped mark? The one that was called touched and he let go of it on purpose?

Yeah it’s annoying to lose like that.

A very different feel to the last “top of the table” clash against them down there in 2008 - where we again trailed by a goal at half time but then were pulverised by 10 goals.

Will be interesting to see how it goes at the MCG with Adz, Dunkley and Martin/Sweet in the team (noting that Duncan and Naughton cancelled each other out a bit)…

I won’t watch the footage again as I’m too pissed off, but Cordy did ok in that last bit of play for mine.

Yeah Cordy did about as well as he could there in the circumstances. He had a Cat right on him and couldn't take possession because the AFL will absolutely pull a bullshit free out of their arse if it'll get their boys over the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Cordy did about as well as he could there in the circumstances. He had a Cat right on him and couldn't take possession because the AFL will absolutely pull a bullshit free out of their arse if it'll get their boys over the line.

‘They did that 20 seconds earlier when Selwood ducked- how predictable.

Not having a game winner down back is really going to hurt us.

This is a recurring theme of gun backs being able to win a game from their position against us. Phil Davis, McGovern, Stewart, May etc. Yes they are guns but we never do anything to stop them. Need to consider Cordy playing forward for these and sometimes they won't play on our gun forwards.

Other than that I'm not too fussed, we played pretty good just a shame not to win there

I just don't know how many more examples Bev needs of Tim being the main ruck being the worst option for the team, and for Tim.

Tim's effectiveness playing as the ruck and as a forward are night and day. Wouldn't have been so easy for Geelong to intercept if we had Tim's height and marking up there. He runs out games, and presents, so much better when he doesn't have to worry about rucking.

Not that the ruck battle lost us the game. But Tim seems to get pushed around so much more easily in that position, but play him as a forward and he's a massive marking threat.

Considering how much more effective Tim is as a forward, playing him as the main ruck is robbing Peter, but also robbing Paul. Please, no more.
It’s blatantly obvious….. I think they are just desperate to prove that he is a ruckman, even when it’s plainly obvious that it’s not his go. He gets tired and this then makes him even weaker in the contest and eventually makes him utterly useless. Whereas up forward getting the third tall defender he is really dangerous and can still have enough energy to pinch hit in the ruck. Jordan Sweet just had to be picked tonight if Martin was out. It was a terrible mistake by the match committee.

McLean should have already been in the team and Hannan out. The conditions were always going to suit Mitch Wallis as well, so probably should have been in the side from the start but I’m okay with him being the sub. But not selecting Sweet was a big mistake.

Gardiner did ok on Cameron too. You’ll never hear it here though.
Agree. Our tall defenders didn't lose the game for us tonight. We played the first half with the wrong game plan.

Agree. Our tall defenders didn't lose the game for us tonight. We played the first half with the wrong game plan.

Wrong selection lost that game.

Sweet or Martin play we win.

First half game plan was again atrocious, difference was we adjusted unlike against Melbourne

yep. If he puts it close to the line and it goes over, its a free kick.

I guess in 20/20 hindsight, a free kick on the wing with 40s to go is the least worse option, but its a tough split second call to make.

I think apart from the obvious players who are clearly keeping a spot warm for currently injured players, Im starting to question Crozier. His decision making and disposal isnt flash and he is fumbly and panicky in close. Great and rugged aerialist, and he has served us well, but I wonder if we can slot someone back there who is either better in close or offers better run and carry? Actually the answer is Wood, isnt it. Not a lot of run and carry, but he is stronger in the contest.

Our back line just lacks class and polish
RichRds 100%

Remove this Banner Ad

Back