Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHAWKTS

All Australian
Apr 12, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
I guess being in W.A a few could get covid, so just playing it safe and take them all
Agree it is probably just playing safe as I don’t think there are any of the “usual” people in the 22 that are being given to last minute to recover (like they did for a few weeks with Stanley for example by naming them and then late change).

Neale is the only one in my mind that is curious as obvioulsy won’t be sub - so is there a tall that has a concern or maybe just needing insurance for last minute hiccup? (I was hoping he would play given it is Perth - maybe this is next best thing for him to see his family?).

I reckon Frank will be sub. Just a feeling. But then my brain gets confused if that is the case and Higgins needs to play surely at some stage - and should have come back via VFL in my view (can’t believe he is a walk up start after many weeks out?). Dempsey must be just getting experience (although again I would have thought better experience in playing vfl? I would be certain he would want to play rather than sit and watch)

I can sort of understand taking 3 emergencies but not 4 (a lot has to go wrong!) and also maybe normally they would have taken some younger players who needed a break but with the bye (and so little of them actually fit) they were left with this choice? Who knows

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree it is probably just playing safe as I don’t think there are any of the “usual” people in the 22 that are being given to last minute to recover (like they did for a few weeks with Stanley for example by naming them and then late change).

Neale is the only one in my mind that is curious as obvioulsy won’t be sub - so is there a tall that has a concern or maybe just needing insurance for last minute hiccup? (I was hoping he would play given it is Perth - maybe this is next best thing for him to see his family?).

I reckon Frank will be sub. Just a feeling. But then my brain gets confused if that is the case and Higgins needs to play surely at some stage - and should have come back via VFL in my view (can’t believe he is a walk up start after many weeks out?). Dempsey must be just getting experience (although again I would have thought better experience in playing vfl? I would be certain he would want to play rather than sit and watch)

I can sort of understand taking 3 emergencies but not 4 (a lot has to go wrong!) and also maybe normally they would have taken some younger players who needed a break but with the bye (and so little of them actually fit) they were left with this choice? Who knows
Yeah would say they are taking Neale as he can see his family as you said, maybe if it was dry they mite have played him, hope vs North he gets another go

Sire of Claude

All Australian
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
I've just realised why i didn't think Dalhousie was in the team a fortnight ago - 1 kick and 9 handballs!

Why or why do the Cats do this stuff? Yes, it might rain but youngsters love playing in puddles. In my by now well known view we should building for the future: pretty soon we'll be seeing Higgins, Esava and Rohan back in. Of those missing only Holmes, Danger and Henry, if he regains form, should return.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
I'd even have Holmes in ahead of him, but sounds like he's still 2-3 weeks away.
Isn't he playing in the VFL this weekend? If he comes through that OK, I'd have him back in the ones for the game against the Tiges. Has been sorely missed for mine since going down early in the Freo game.

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Why would his motivation just drop as low as it has all of a sudden? He can put in when he wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Maybe he voted for Scomo, he’s concerned about the impeding ending of the planet, someone close to him is sick, he is injured, he’s not good enough it could be any reason of which I don’t know.
But he hasn’t done enough to get a place in the team or keep a place on the list next year. I like him and seems to be well liked around the club but hard to see him being kept on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PzBlinky

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Isn't he playing in the VFL this weekend? If he comes through that OK, I'd have him back in the ones for the game against the Tiges. Has been sorely missed for mine since going down early in the Freo game.

Oh, is he? I'd Henry but nothing about Holmes. That's fantastic news and yeah, I'd have him back next week if he gets through OK.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Surely we couldnt lose this game ? - we just couldnt could we

Well if you are a Geelong supporter and ridden all the highs and the lows - then the answer to that question is

Definitely - Positively - Maybe
Me personally... im 80% sure we will... But I'm also 20% we will loose...

Catman

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 30, 2000
No longer in a premiership drought
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LUFC/MSRLC/MVFC
maybe not, but their ins are daunting according to Scott. Yeo, Sheed, McGovern... whereas we are resting paddy, henry and Holmes for another week. Parfitt out too. For me it's the mindset. That is all. Will they turn up switched on?

How are we resting them? All three have barely played in two months. It's a sensible decision looking ahead to later in the year.

Vdubs

Hall of Famer
Jan 1, 2008
MYOB
AFL Club
Geelong
Surely we couldnt lose this game ? - we just couldnt could we

Well if you are a Geelong supporter and ridden all the highs and the lows - then the answer to that question is

Definitely - Positively - Maybe
In our experience, you and I, in many games over the years, but moreso recent years, wins and losses seem to be based on circumstances.
The circumstances this week can stack up against us before the game is played, and with this long wait, the negativity can build up.
This week
  • we are off a bye- our record until 2021 is poor
  • we are in WA - our record there is average.
  • WCE have been appalling but their INS this week ae significant, and although not match hardened, on paper they are a much more formidable team this week.
  • we are still a middle road team until proven otherwise, (5-10) and it does not take much for a freshened WCE with ,any seasoned inclusions, to knock over a travelling team that will not be as hungry for a win as the miserable home team.
  • I personally hate it when we are ridiculous outrageous favourites
Does this thinking make me negative? Some say yes.
Anyway, this time tomorrow we will know if we really want and deserve top 4 .
And then the Tigers next week.....

Last edited:

Cataholic

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
In our experience, you and I, in many games over the years, but moreso recent years, wins and losses seem to be based on circumstances.
The circumstances this week can stack up against us before the game is played, and with this long wait, the negativity can build up.
This week
  • we are off a bye- our record until 2021 is poor
  • we are in WA - our record there is average.
  • WCE have been appalling but their INS this week ae significant, and although not match hardened, on paper they are a much more formidable team this week.
  • we are still a middle road team until proven otherwise, (5-10) and it does not take much for a freshened WCE with ,any seasoned inclusions, to knock over a travelling team that will not be as hungry for a win as the miserable home team.
Does this thinking make me negative? Some say yes.
Anyway, this time tomorrow we will know if we really want and deserve top 4 .
And then the Tigers next week.....

Don't we have some sort of undesirable record in losing to new AFL teams?

We've lost a few of the 'unloseables' over the years......

That said, I expect us to win.

Vdubs

Hall of Famer
Jan 1, 2008
MYOB
AFL Club
Geelong
16th just beat 6th, not much difference between that with 18th and 5th
Any team can beat any team on any given day.
Even in 1963, Geelong lost to the bottom team Fitzroy, by 6 goals, away, and that was their one and only win for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad