Autopsy Rd 15 Blues by 4. No Cripps, No Charlie, No Doc, No Harry, no ******* problem!

Who played well for Carlton against the Dockers in Round 15?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Something i've found interesting is the different centre square set ups Teague has used as opposed to Bolton.

Under Bolton we primarily used a combination of Cripps/Dow/Fisher/SPS. They were our main quartet.

Now on the weekend we didn't have Cripps, but our main quartet were Murphy/Curnow/JSOS/Walsh. A few cameos from SPS & Kennedy.
Fisher & Dow not used at a single centre square bounce from what i saw.

So he's completely changed it up in there and apart from Walsh, is using a more mature and big bodied group of players.

Mind you we had pretty good clearance numbers under Bolton for the most part...but i think it's good not to overburden the 2nd/3rd year players to do all that grunt work every game. Dow i reckon was starting to struggle physically always at the bottom of packs and Fisher was getting outmuscled.

I would argue it doesn't sacrifice development either...guys like Dow/Fisher/SPS are still contributing and developing in other roles, and it'll be good for their health to not get smashed in the stoppages all the time.

I reckon that Matt Kennedy played a bit like a bloke with no confidence thinking that anything that he did might cost him his spot. Got some confidence as the game went on along with two super impressive goals. Could be an excellent tough tackling medium forward/midfielder.

I certainly hope this is the way it pans out.

Great post, with Stack he is only better than Stocker at the moment, things could change.

FWIW Stack looks great - at the moment.

However there are very good reasons why such a super talented kid was ignored by every single club (including Tigers) in the draft.

There is every chance he could do a Chris Yarran and go completely off the rails.

I hope this is not the case - but he slid in the draft for very good reasons.

I certainly hope this is the way it pans out.
What a difference a week makes. I now think that Jack is a 70% big midfielder/30% medium (tall) forward and Matt Kennedy is a 70% medium forward/30% midfielder. Would give us some great flexibility if that panned out and would give Crippa some genuine minutes up forward without robbing our midfield.

After a few days to sit and think about it.

Maybe Cripps missing the Freo game was a blessing in disguise.

1. It forces the young players not to be reliant on Cripps.
2. It forces the young players to step up

Food for thought.
They now also know the CAN win ... even without Cripps. I think the boys are starting to believe in themselves.

I put it to you your presence here is for no other reason than to offend and irritate - that your claims of support for our mighty club are disingenuous to say the least - and that the sole reason you drove your uncle to that isolated farm was with the intention of murdering him and disposing of his body - what say you to these allegations made here on this first day of july in the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen?
Yeah, I did it and I'm glad he's dead! He had everything and I had nothing. He didn't deserve my Aunt ... she was kind and pretty and hot ... and I've said too much.

We need a wtf reaction asap

After a few days to sit and think about it.

Maybe Cripps missing the Freo game was a blessing in disguise.

1. It forces the young players not to be reliant on Cripps.
2. It forces the young players to step up

Food for thought.
3. Stops the rest of us worrying about Brownlow votes for Cripps.

Watching again.

Walters has been on fire recently.

Had lowest possessions for last 8 rounds.

Freo often isolated him deep forward.

Plowman repeatedly beat him in 1 v 1’s and gave him a bath!!!!!

Plow needs more love...........

I just watched the replay again too - for the 5th time and guess what:

Something i've found interesting is the different centre square set ups Teague has used as opposed to Bolton.

Under Bolton we primarily used a combination of Cripps/Dow/Fisher/SPS. They were our main quartet.

Now on the weekend we didn't have Cripps, but our main quartet were Murphy/Curnow/JSOS/Walsh. A few cameos from SPS & Kennedy.

So he's completely changed it up in there and apart from Walsh, is using a more mature and big bodied group of players.

Mind you we had pretty good clearance numbers under Bolton for the most part...but i think it's good not to overburden the 2nd/3rd year players to do all that grunt work every game. Dow i reckon was starting to struggle physically always at the bottom of packs and Fisher was getting outmuscled.

I would argue it doesn't sacrifice development either...guys like Dow/Fisher/SPS are still contributing and developing in other roles, and it'll be good for their health to not get smashed in the stoppages all the time.

Definitely.

Used to get so frustrated watching Fisher line up at every centre bounce. Love the fish but he's built like a piece of butchers paper and was getting mauled. Development isn't all about throwing kids to the wolves. Loving how Fish is used now. Let Ed bash and crash in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Setterfield is also now playing as a permanent wingman, and is certainly excelling in that role. Providing lots of run and link-up play between the arcs, a great way to invest games into him whilst Walsh can move into the guts and hold himself quite well.

Just want to mention the great man Jacob Weitering again. God he's a gun.

Marchy was great too.
Backline was huge being at the game you just got the sense that they were smothering their opponents. No separation. They are certainly growing into something back there. Just quietly I reckon Casboults kicking has improved dramatically since going to the backline. Heart was in my throat the first few weeks when he was field kicking and besides one horrenous decision maybe 5 weeks ago he has been terrific. McKay out for a week and now Charlie Curnow out of the side for a month means no selection headaches in terms of what to do with him. Was trade bait last year, now you would be hard pressed to part with him.

This was a huge problem, the young guys did well at the start of the season when fresh, but as the season progresses their bodies get sorer and teams take advantage of that, ie North Melb, they physically start to lose those battles when sore. Hence the reason why there has to be a mix of old, with new sprinkled in to get through the season.

You are doing it wrong.

Re the Adelaide deal the first question is "How good is Stocker?" Sure, he is not as good as Sydney Stack (supplementary Feb pick) but most of us think we have at least a good quality footballer in the making.

If this is so then whatever pick we give to Adelaide (1 to 4) is off-set by having Stocker in the bag plus their first round pick (9-13 say).

The second question is "What is pick 1 worth to us and what is it worth to the Crows?"

Pick 1s are valuable (we ought to know) but the recruiting emphasis on pick 1 is to get the best player in the draft. After pick 1 who is selected becomes less a question of the intrinsic value of the player and more the value of the player to the team we are building (extrinsic value).

[To some extent the debate over Walsh v Lukosius was influenced by the fact that, however good L might become - the next Nick Riewoldt etc - Walsh was just what we needed. If L does become the next NR and Walsh becomes just a good quality A grade mid then we "lose" by picking Walsh on intrinsic player value. But that loss means zip if Walsh plays his role in a Premiership team.]

We have had 4 years of rebuild. We have recruited in lots of high pick players. After 3 years of rebuild we do not (or certainly should not) need the best player in the draft. We do need the best player for our team to win a flag, which is NOT the same thing.

OTOH Adelaide have been relatively (cf us) starved of high first round draft picks. They have a team that look like finishing 5 to 8 which is a thereabouts but not quite result. Recruiting the best player in the draft is much more valuable for them as that player might be able to be integrated quickly into the team and assist them to a flag in 2021 or beyond and will be there for them if they need to rebuild.

Question 3
What is the difference between the pick we gave for Stocker and their first rounder?

The difference between pick 1-4 and pick 9-12 is not massive. The odds are both will be quality footballers. And we already have Stocker.

But with our list it is no secret we now want to recruit in quality players to top us off. We do not want to wait around to find out in 4 years how good the 2019 draft version of Weitering might become.

The problem is trading pick 1 is not an easy thing to do. It upsets supporters, particularly if there is a turnstile turning rising star in the draft (and there usually is, whatever muggins they become). Upsetting supporters is an important factor since it causes membership drops. Trading pick 9-12 for an established player is nothing like so fraught but will still get most deals done.

Conclusion
The Adelaide deal was undoubtedly good for Adelaide.

IMO the deal was (particularly now that Stocker has proven he is a potential 10 year plus player) undoubtedly good for us.

It is a classic win-win.

Well explained Windy, I think you need to forward this to a few journos out there as they still don't seem to understand it, I can understand the general public not quite understanding it and just look at the pick number, but the journos who are suppose to be football writers and have football knowledge seem to have no idea.

A big shout out to Sam Walsh - Happy birthday for yesterday.
(19 years old, 30 possessions, game high 8 tackles).
So proud of this young man, his values, integrity and commitment as a person.
And to be demonstrating his quality, endurance and consistency at this age is remarkable.
Sam will be one of our foundation stones to a champion Carlton dynasty.
We are blessed to have him. Congratulations Sam, you deserve the very best that life can bring.
We all want to see your hands on the No 17 premiership cup. It's been along time coming......

This was a huge problem, the young guys did well at the start of the season when fresh, but as the season progresses their bodies get sorer and teams take advantage of that, ie North Melb, they physically start to lose those battles when sore. Hence the reason why there has to be a mix of old, with new sprinkled in to get through the season.
One thing id love to know is how much if any involvement did Andrew Russell have in the decision making of Bolton going with the mid mix he was using .
Was it a combined decision to get mid minutes into them then filter it back as was actually starting to happen just before his removal in the second half of the season as the younguns tire or was it entirely Boltons doing .

Backline was huge being at the game you just got the sense that they were smothering their opponents. No separation. They are certainly growing into something back there. Just quietly I reckon Casboults kicking has improved dramatically since going to the backline. Heart was in my throat the first few weeks when he was field kicking and besides one horrenous decision maybe 5 weeks ago he has been terrific. McKay out for a week and now Charlie Curnow out of the side for a month means no selection headaches in terms of what to do with him. Was trade bait last year, now you would be hard pressed to part with him.

Levi is actively lowering the eyes and looking for short passes - it's bloody wonderful. So many big blokes just slam the ball on the boot and play for territory, I think it actually catches sides off guard a bit when they scramble to defend a long kick from a lumbering tall only to have him nail a short centering pass.

Confidence player. I think he's always doubted himself, which made him hesitant, which had a detrimental effect on his disposal and ball handling. Now he's found some confidence, he's trusting his ability, which is actually improving his ball use.

And to be demonstrating his quality, endurance and consistency at this age is remarkable.
We are blessed to have him. Congratulations Sam, you deserve the very best that life can bring.
We all want to see your hands on the No 17 premiership cup. It's been along time coming......
wow - nice eulogizing - just a head's up my birthday is in january - you may not have as much to work with but feel free to take a swing at it, bcp.......

Stealing this from Twitter

Rozee has had a much better birthday

Back