Autopsy Rd 15 Brave Blues go down by 12

Remove this Banner Ad

I swear I saw Kerridge throw a little jab at Sloane on the weekend. From where I was sitting (top deck right above it) it didn't look good, but there seems to be no media talk about it. Might not have been as bad as I first thought.

Any insight? 3rd quarter IIRC.
Yeh you're vision is fine. They both took swings at each other but Sloane ducked and Kerridge hit him in the head. I'd expect a fine - careless, high contact, low impact. If graded intentional (which is possible) he might get a week with an early guilty plea.

I swear I saw Kerridge throw a little jab at Sloane on the weekend. From where I was sitting (top deck right above it) it didn't look good, but there seems to be no media talk about it. Might not have been as bad as I first thought.

Any insight? 3rd quarter IIRC.

Geez, our own supporters are trying to get Kerridge suspended now.

Pretty good effort really considering that earlier in the season they would have probably thrashed us. We tried to control the footy and didn't do too badly at it. Marked the ball well and our pressure and intensity was there. Again took it up to a top team. We put in a huge effort, just weren't quite good enough to win the game when the opportunity arose. Like the brand of footy we are playing. Requires good intensity, good pressure, good kicking and good running.

Gibbs - Just another stock standard 30+ possession game with a few goals that he is delivering consistently. Gibbs is one of the competition's best midfielders and I really hope Adelaide god a bloody good eyeful of it because their stinginess at the trade table last season might cost them this season's flag.

Docherty - One of the premier half backs in the game, he's one of the cleanest players I've seen below his knees. Love a player with clean hands and he's as good as it comes. He's become a good kick and a great runner. Terrific game again.

Murphy - Murphy is looking a little tired, his workload is quite high but he's still playing good football. Works tirelessly.

Kreuzer - you could debate whether or not if he's the best ruckman going around. I think his set shot kicking for goal lets him down, if that was a bit better then he might solve this debate, he was excellent again. He has always dropped/ducked his head when going for marks, he's not doing that anymore and he's taking a hell of a lot more marks. Good coaching Blues. Great linking up and running plus his tap work is really good. Beat a quality opponent.

Cripps - One of his best aerial games, he really positioned and times his leap and took some good marks. Again a player who's set shot kicking for goal lets them down. Had a great game winning the contested ball.

Kerridge - Not sure he has played a better game. It wasn't perfect, he was sloppy at time, fumbles a bit and dropped a crucial mark but he worked hard and won enough footy and kicked a nice goal. Speed on the spread and skills will always be a bit lacking but effort was there.

Simpson - Not his best game but he was tough and worked pretty hard. Wasn't allowed a lot of space. Kicking was a bit up and under at times. Still very solid.

Curnow - His best game by far, he's beginning to look like an amazing player. Last year and the first half of this year he would get his hands to a lot of balls and drop them. The last few weeks his hands have clicked and he's really dangerous in the air. 22 possessions, one goal, 11 Marks is a great game from a center half forward. If he doesn't get a rising star nomination this week I'll be absolutely shocked. Intensity, effort and competitiveness is vastly improved in a short time frame.

Graham - I thought he was good. He's a bit like Kerridge but cleaner skilled. Won some really good contests and was pretty decent.

Jones - One of the best games you will ever see from a full back. I was always critical he took too many chest marks and didn't show clean hands as a forward but in defence he's just going for it and he's grabbing them. He's an imposing figure when the ball is in the air in his vicinity. He's a very strong and aggressive spoiler. He's just playing some amazing football.

Casboult - He was well matched up on today, he enjoyed getting free when he went into the ruck which I think he's really valuable and good at. Took some good grabs and contested alright. Really gets involved when he goes into the middle which I like. Helps him get into the game.

White - Thought he was serviceable. Neat skills and rebounded and intercepted the ball well. Got plenty of it. Moved well.

Thomas - Playing the best footy he has ever played at Carlton. He's getting to play in a competitive team and he's getting a good run at it and he's actually going alright. Kicking has improved. Starting to have an impact up forward.

Weitering - Playing on much bigger opponents and doing alright. Made some blues with his kicking but he had a good game. Will be an absolute weapon when he fills out. Gave us a good target.

Wright - Not his best game but he battled hard, it just didn't really come for him.

Cuningham - He was decent, still think when he fills out it will make a lot of difference. Thought his intensity could have been higher at stoppages. Sometimes I'd just like to see him play a see ball get ball brand of footy. Not sure center is his place just yet, thought he was slow off the mark reactively in there. Still showing good signs. Like him forward and his pressure and composure.

Silvagni - He's improving his pressure and tackling. Wasn't a big possession game but he had an influence.

Marchbank - Wasn't a great game from him, thought he was sloppy/clumsy. Not coping with the bigger bodied opponents well just at the moment. He'll benefit from a good season in the gym and on the track and fill out a bit. Perhaps looked a bit tired.

Plowman - Thought he was solid enough, provided run at times.

Fisher - He's capable of good things but has a few things to work on. Picking up ground balls clean under pressure, not diving when tackling, hanging onto the ball a bit longer and not panicking/rushing possessions. He turned over a few handballs today. I'd just like to see a bit more composure in tight and for him to take them on a bit. Love his pressure and thought he gave some good carry at times.

Sheehan - He looks to lack a bit of agility and mobility. He looks great running straight lines under little pressure. His kicking was poor early too but improved.

Sumner - Just goes missing a lot. Sumner needs to look to Matthew Wright and become that sort of player. Perhaps it's fitness. He looks like someone who should be able to impact in the midfield at times. He's alright when involved but he doesn't get involved a lot.

Geez, our own supporters are trying to get Kerridge suspended now.

Hahah you're kidding right. Nowhere did I say I wanted him suspended.

He played well and deserves to hold his spot this week.

How hypocritical that we can take Houli and Lewis to the cleaners for their acts against our club but if a player of our own does something it can't be talked about. Not of the same severity ofcourse but it's worth looking at, as SV said he might cop a week and it'll effect our selection if so.

Hahah you're kidding right. Nowhere did I say I wanted him suspended.

He played well and deserves to hold his spot this week.

How hypocritical that we can take Houli and Lewis to the cleaners for their acts against our club but if a player of our own does something it can't be talked about. Not of the same severity ofcourse but it's worth looking at, as SV said he might cop a week and it'll effect our selection if so.

Yeah I was kidding.

Shiel, Kelly, Smith, Deludio, Whitfield, Hopper, Coniglio, Greene, Skully, Ward, Taranto, Kennedy, Griffin, Perryman, Setterfield like this post...

Really?

I think it's drawing a very long bow to suggest our rebuild lacks depth by comparing our list to the Giants who've spent the better part of a decade sucking on the AFL's teat with excessively generous draft picks and salary cap concessions. This has been the first year they've not had the salary cap advantage and it'll take some time for the effect to flow on as the players come out of contract, the sharks are already circling on Kelly and Shiel.

I suspect a few people watched the first quarter and saw the confirmation they wanted that their personal whipping boy(s) were having a shocker and thats the impression they took out of the game. Kerridge, White, Graham, Murphy... reckon they had more to do with us getting within 12 points than they had with us losing it.

Almost everyone in a Carlton jumper was slow and overly cautious for the first 20 minutes of the game, thats what lost it for us, along with our standard structural inability to score.

Arctic Park was condemned!
Loved the scoreboard as a kid...

c3424aa1a559b74d40aa74cd11f0b28f.gif

Murph: Must be injured. After a big start to the year, Has dropped away considerably.

Cripps: 57 games??? Is that right??? Can't be. He's really starting to bully and boss his opponents like few can.
What's wrong with Murphys game? 29 disposals and 9 tackles doesn't scream "dropped away"

I must admit I was getting a little up and about watching Cripps in that second term. Just about single handedly dragged us into the game AND taking contested marks inside 50....

Although he should tidy up a couple of his handballs. Maybe goes the up and over handball he loves a little more than he should. Missed a few of those which led to opposition clearances.

Kerridge - Not sure he has played a better game. It wasn't perfect, he was sloppy at time, fumbles a bit and dropped a crucial mark but he worked hard and won enough footy and kicked a nice goal. Speed on the spread and skills will always be a bit lacking but effort was there.

Graham - I thought he was good. He's a bit like Kerridge but cleaner skilled. Won some really good contests and was pretty decent.

White - Thought he was serviceable. Neat skills and rebounded and intercepted the ball well. Got plenty of it. Moved well.

Weitering - Playing on much bigger opponents and doing alright. Made some blues with his kicking but he had a good game. Will be an absolute weapon when he fills out. Gave us a good target.

Sumner - Just goes missing a lot. Sumner needs to look to Matthew Wright and become that sort of player. Perhaps it's fitness. He looks like someone who should be able to impact in the midfield at times. He's alright when involved but he doesn't get involved a lot.
Kerridge was great. I think he needs to spend a bit of time with Curnow, however. That should be his archetype as Curnow was awful to begin with but tidied up excellently. Kerridge should get in his ear.

One of the best games I've seen from Graham. He was fantastic a leading up to the man with the ball, got on the end of so many 15-20 m passes. Could suggest it's getting the easy ball, but could also say his workrate was high and he always provided an option. I think of it as the latter.

White did what he needed to. He didn't try to go beyond his ability, which is great. Didn't try to do to much with his disposal and passed to a better user. At times in the past I feel as though he tries to do more than he's capable but this game he played his role excellently.

I think Weiters tried to be a bit cute at times with the ball. He's a fantastic kick and decision maker, but a couple of times I think he went the cute route instead of the smart route. He'll learn from that.

I do like how when Sumner was given that 50 he quickly ran up and took the kick, giving no chance of a reversal as there was a melee going on. Very good awareness. Although he needs to get more of it.

Yesterday at the game I watched the benches closely as I sit just above them.
In the 1st quarter the Adelaide runner was on the ground from the 9 minute mark until the 19 minute mark filling holes as we were trying to exit D50.
This went on most of the day and is becoming an issue each week although the gutless AFL will not act.
The runners should be banned
Reckon all players should just have an earpiece in and the coach can talk at any time directly from the box. Would enhance the coach's job importance and make for a better game too.

Pretty good effort really considering that earlier in the season they would have probably thrashed us. We tried to control the footy and didn't do too badly at it. Marked the ball well and our pressure and intensity was there. Again took it up to a top team. We put in a huge effort, just weren't quite good enough to win the game when the opportunity arose. Like the brand of footy we are playing. Requires good intensity, good pressure, good kicking and good running.

Gibbs - Just another stock standard 30+ possession game with a few goals that he is delivering consistently. Gibbs is one of the competition's best midfielders and I really hope Adelaide god a bloody good eyeful of it because their stinginess at the trade table last season might cost them this season's flag.

Docherty - One of the premier half backs in the game, he's one of the cleanest players I've seen below his knees. Love a player with clean hands and he's as good as it comes. He's become a good kick and a great runner. Terrific game again.

Murphy - Murphy is looking a little tired, his workload is quite high but he's still playing good football. Works tirelessly.

Kreuzer - you could debate whether or not if he's the best ruckman going around. I think his set shot kicking for goal lets him down, if that was a bit better then he might solve this debate, he was excellent again. He has always dropped/ducked his head when going for marks, he's not doing that anymore and he's taking a hell of a lot more marks. Good coaching Blues. Great linking up and running plus his tap work is really good. Beat a quality opponent.

Cripps - One of his best aerial games, he really positioned and times his leap and took some good marks. Again a player who's set shot kicking for goal lets them down. Had a great game winning the contested ball.

Simpson - Not his best game but he was tough and worked pretty hard. Wasn't allowed a lot of space. Kicking was a bit up and under at times. Still very solid.

Curnow - His best game by far, he's beginning to look like an amazing player. Last year and the first half of this year he would get his hands to a lot of balls and drop them. The last few weeks his hands have clicked and he's really dangerous in the air. 22 possessions, one goal, 11 Marks is a great game from a center half forward. If he doesn't get a rising star nomination this week I'll be absolutely shocked. Intensity, effort and competitiveness is vastly improved in a short time frame.

Jones - One of the best games you will ever see from a full back. I was always critical he took too many chest marks and didn't show clean hands as a forward but in defence he's just going for it and he's grabbing them. He's an imposing figure when the ball is in the air in his vicinity. He's a very strong and aggressive spoiler. He's just playing some amazing football.

Casboult - He was well matched up on today, he enjoyed getting free when he went into the ruck which I think he's really valuable and good at. Took some good grabs and contested alright. Really gets involved when he goes into the middle which I like. Helps him get into the game.

Thomas - Playing the best footy he has ever played at Carlton. He's getting to play in a competitive team and he's getting a good run at it and he's actually going alright. Kicking has improved. Starting to have an impact up forward.

Wright - Not his best game but he battled hard, it just didn't really come for him.

Cuningham - He was decent, still think when he fills out it will make a lot of difference. Thought his intensity could have been higher at stoppages. Sometimes I'd just like to see him play a see ball get ball brand of footy. Not sure center is his place just yet, thought he was slow off the mark reactively in there. Still showing good signs. Like him forward and his pressure and composure.

Silvagni - He's improving his pressure and tackling. Wasn't a big possession game but he had an influence.

Marchbank - Wasn't a great game from him, thought he was sloppy/clumsy. Not coping with the bigger bodied opponents well just at the moment. He'll benefit from a good season in the gym and on the track and fill out a bit. Perhaps looked a bit tired.

Plowman - Thought he was solid enough, provided run at times.

Fisher - He's capable of good things but has a few things to work on. Picking up ground balls clean under pressure, not diving when tackling, hanging onto the ball a bit longer and not panicking/rushing possessions. He turned over a few handballs today. I'd just like to see a bit more composure in tight and for him to take them on a bit. Love his pressure and thought he gave some good carry at times.

Sheehan - He looks to lack a bit of agility and mobility. He looks great running straight lines under little pressure. His kicking was poor early too but improved.

I think we can underestimate the defensive pressure work by the likes of Fisher, Sumner, Silvagni, Cuningham. It was noticeable when these guys went out of the side how easily Richmond were rebounding out of our forward line and spreading from contests.

Dale Thomas was playing a defensive pressure game earlier in the year and also struggled to have an impact with the footy, but now he has been freed up a bit looks to be thriving.

You look at guys like Sumner and Fisher, even though they don't get much footy, they always put their body in which stops the opposition from getting clean ball. Its only a subtle difference but you see the likes of Boekhorst not put their body into contests completely which starts a chain of bad play for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardest hit of the week? There was no hit involved at all in that tackle!

Why did they change the name of it? Hardest hit and best tackle aren't the same thing.

Complain to the Club sheesh!

Liam Jones has earned Mercury Hard Cider Hardest Hit of the Week for this brutal tackle on Rory Sloane

What about the moment when Cripps outbodied Jake Lever to take that contested mark in front of goal? I tell you, once our midfield depth allows Cripps to play extended periods of time up forward, he is going to be an absolute force. He could routinely be having 30 possession, 4-goal type games.

A 195cm Inside Midfield, with a beautiful contested mark and nack for making space up forward is really something unprecedented, and going to cause massive headaches for opposition coaches in the years to come

What about the moment when Cripps outbodied Jake Lever to take that contested mark in front of goal? I tell you, once our midfield depth allows Cripps to play extended periods of time up forward, he is going to be an absolute force. He could routinely be having 30 possession, 4-goal type games.

A 195cm Inside Midfield, with a beautiful contested mark and nack for making space up forward is really something unprecedented, and going to cause massive headaches for opposition coaches in the years to come

No way.

That is Clayton 'handball specialist' Oliver.

Reckon all players should just have an earpiece in and the coach can talk at any time directly from the box. Would enhance the coach's job importance and make for a better game too.
Yeah they can all wear a helmet with earpiece.
Not a massive nfl style, just like the one Murphy wore.
You dont wanna wear the helmet? You dont get the earpiece.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah they can all wear a helmet with earpiece.
Not a massive nfl style, just like the one Murphy wore.
You dont wanna wear the helmet? You dont get the earpiece.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why not bio-hack a wifi chip directly in their brain whereby the coaching staff can control them directly by joystick from the coaching box?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back