Autopsy Rd 15 Messy contest as Blues cleaned up by Giants

Who played well in Round 15 vs the Giants

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone got any thoughts on why Harry’s goal kicking is so bad.

I cant put my finger on it but something looks odd with his technique.

He looks too casual, loose with something. That sounds odd as you want a smooth, relaxed run up and technique.
Is it how he holds the ball?

Someone will come up with a better answer than me, would like to hear some thoughts.

View attachment 952787

This really hurts, brought up by Ross Lyon last week, that's his hand.

Last year Bolton got it terribly wrong by throwing all the young kids in the middle and leaving them there, by game 4-5 they were gassed and sore.

This year Teague has thrown the older boys in there an left them there over 13 games. (Fisher, Walsh, Gibbons, Kennedy?)

I'm sorry, but Cripps should not have played last night, he played as a decoy for Deboer who luckily for us GWS fell for it.

I'm sorry, Paddy Dow, we have destroyed you, remember when he came on the scene, he was excited, fast, took the game on, we have beaten that out of him. He looks like a person who has been told and given so much information that he has forgotten how to play football. A player who has blistering pace does not take 3 steps, bounce the ball and keep running. Give the kid back his fun to play the game.

I'm sorry Cam Polsen, no way did I think you had AFL qualities, please keep improving.

Our game plan needs tweaking, we can't keep banging a ball inside 50 for 15 mins for no result, we take away the strengths of Fisher, Martin and Betts who excel in space and 1 v 1. No use having them there if they have no room to move

Will have to find it, as I posted it some time ago, but it was the centre clearances last year, Bolton kids v Teague seniors

Kids actually outperformed the senior players in this area. Problem was, round the ground or 2nd phase where the kids were manhandled

Bolton went too hard in one direction and I was concerned Tegue was going to hard the other way

I thought with another preseason to assess the situation that balance would be better, but it hasn't

Needs to add more speed and burst, so I would be rotating the likes of Cuners, Fish, Dow, like he has been with Martin, to compliment Cripps and Ed

Next year, you add, Stocker, Kemp, Philp to that mix

Massive workrate for the amount of time he had on the ground, over 9 KPH for defensive running. Not in the top 5 for attacking running

Start this by saying that I like Dow and see a future in him but I wonder about the value of that particular stat given that he only had 8 disposals, 0 marks and 0 tackles.

The value for metre isn't great stat wise, although I concede that there is no stat for pressure.

A bit of time to reflect has made me realise I am way too emotional to be a coach, I don’t know how they stay composed.

This year for me is very similar to our 2008, we are starving for success and not seeing the forest for the trees. The lure of finals was so exciting that we lost perspective of how shite we have really been for the past 5 years.

One thing that needs to change is we need to turn our control of the game into scoreboard pressure, too often we are finding ourselves locking the ball inside 50, winning clearances and overall control of the contest (thanks Teaguey) but not scoring from it, whether this is tactical, or due to personnel is something the coaches need to figure out over summer.

We have the key ingredients to be a good side, and should compete for finals next year. We just aren’t there yet, but compared to 12 months ago
We are night and day, far better.

Some tough calls need to be made on veterans. Betts and Simpson are just
not up to it anymore. We need to replace them from next year. Murphy has actually had a good month but he is clearly not what he once was, next season he needs to be phased out. Kreuzer I think is done and should retire. E Curnow is still playing well so he will no doubt go on.

The biggest concern is the lack of development from some players. Dow, SPS, O’Brien and Cuningham should be firmly entrenched in our 22 and making names for themselves, none are. We can’t have Cripps, Walsh and Weitering as our best 3 every week. We need supporting crew to stand up and share the load.

Consistency and learning to turn control of the game into scores is the next step for this group. Let’s see if they have it in them, I Hope and believe they do.

I can see the way the team are playing, It's for the coach and jumper.
Walsh is blitzing on the wing, Mcluggage is in AA talk, Sam is out performing him this year. I have said before, never seen a player (Walsh) change and control momentum in there first season like he did, when he shifted into the midfield at half time, we would come home with a wet sail.
Injuries early in careers shorten sustained high output of players in general. I'd be happy for him to stay out on the wing not just this year for next season as well, letting the older bodies take the hits and prolonging Walsh's higher output career.
Williamson maybe petrified, Cognilio was as well!
Not questioning Walsh.

Just having a look at some of the numbers

We outworked GWS in most facets. Cottrell not only has a massive tank but is even quicker than I thought.

Dow actually worked harder than any player on the ground defensively, Walsh leading all players offensively. Cottrell ranked the best 2 way runner Fitness is no longer an issue for this group as a whole

What continues to be our downfall is our poor disposal and or large portions of the gameplan, that contributes poorly in this area.

We need more gears and composure, especially when we are controlling the game/scoreboard

Not much will change this year, but I will watch with great interest how this evolves next year

Dow was our hardest worker defensively? Could have fooled me. I wonder if this is a case of misleading stats.

I recall numerous times seeing him on screen and yes he was applying defensive pressure but not with a whole heap of intensity to actually impact and make a difference...the stats might count it as defensive pressure when really he was just trailing his opponent.

Outside his goal Dow has basically been invisible for 2 games in a row now despite getting some centre square time. It kind of felt like Teague had to hide him up forward for the majority of the second half because he wasn't having any impact in the midfield.

Cripps/Dow/Setterfield does not work...there is not enough leg speed or two-way running in this group and they are all 'inside' mids. Too much hard running is being left to Curnow/Walsh/Murphy/Cottrell. Need more balance in the midfield.

Dow was our hardest worker defensively? Could have fooled me. I wonder if this is a case of misleading stats.

I recall numerous times seeing him on screen and yes he was applying defensive pressure but not with a whole heap of intensity to actually impact and make a difference...the stats might count it as defensive pressure when really he was just trailing his opponent.

Outside his goal Dow has basically been invisible for 2 games in a row now despite getting some centre square time. It kind of felt like Teague had to hide him up forward for the majority of the second half because he wasn't having any impact in the midfield.

Cripps/Dow/Setterfield does not work...there is not enough leg speed or two-way running in this group and they are all 'inside' mids. Too much hard running is being left to Curnow/Walsh/Murphy/Cottrell. Need more balance in the midfield.

The defensive running he is doing would not be on the screen.

Hard to say where he was at the time, it is just recorded when the opposition has the ball

The defensive running he is doing would not be on the screen.

Sure, and maybe Dow is contributing more than i realise.

But he has contributed next to nothing offensively in 2 games outside his goal and basically has zero impact when the ball is in his area when I see him on screen, both offensively and defensively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Start this by saying that I like Dow and see a future in him but I wonder about the value of that particular stat given that he only had 8 disposals, 0 marks and 0 tackles.

The value for metre isn't great stat wise, although I concede that there is no stat for pressure.
You have to ask what was his role (and I don't know the answer either). Are they trying to educate him by getting him to run with someone? Is he working so hard to do the defensive things he has nothing in him to run offensively? Is he so focused on the team he is neglecting his instincts?

You have to ask what was his role (and I don't know the answer either). Are they trying to educate him by getting him to run with someone? Is he working so hard to do the defensive things he has nothing in him to run offensively? Is he so focused on the team he is neglecting his instincts?

I don't know the answer either.

I don't know the answer either.

Don't know either what I do know is SPS has to be played in the middle along with Dow for the last 3 games.

Rest Cripps, Murphy or tap Murphy on the shoulder and tell him it's time to retire, can't keep carrying him brings nothing.

Don't know either what I do know is SPS has to be played in the middle along with Dow for the last 3 games.

Rest Cripps, Murphy or tap Murphy on the shoulder and tell him it's time to retire, can't keep carrying him brings nothing.

Afraid I'm not seeing SPS as a midfielder on what he's producing. He's a complete mystery to me.

Afraid I'm not seeing SPS as a midfielder on what he's producing. He's a complete mystery to me.

SPS had good games in the middle last year, don't know why we continue to play him at HB we are wasting our most potent weapon.

We definately haven't created a role for Paddy in our structure yet. Imo our setup going forward may not either.

Imo Dow's strengths are winning the ball, his quick hands in tight, and running torwards the goals. Under Teague we are , i think, looking to play a game that doesn't quite suit Paddy's strengths(atm). I reckon he would be terrific for Richmond or Essendon for example. The Caracella gamestyle. Quick hands, quick movement, forward territory.

I still think he has real AFL talent that can make a difference to games, but he has deficiencies and i think finding his role and confidence in him to "let him Play" is more important to him than most. Some players need a bit more freedom than others to use their positives.

His fitness and tackling is a real issue though. It's been touched on a bit here in recent pages and i watch him closely because he is one of my favorites, and i think it is right that he is doing too much wasted running to adhere for the sake of appearances.

Maybe he'll never fit Teague's "style", but if he's to make it with us we have to use his strengths and maybe use a sheepdog like Cottrell in tandem to do some of the gruntwork.

He's an interesting watch Paddy, as are Carlton as a whole. This year is 50% junkish for every club and participant and has been a bit of a waste and just getting a season done for the pay cheques, but the next 2 years will be extremely interesting.

Just hope the standard of games overall lift again.

SPS had good games in the middle last year, don't know why we continue to play him at HB we are wasting our most potent weapon.

Didn't think he played in the middle after Teague took over and we had very few good games under Bolton. I stand to be corrected but I don't recall him tearing it up too often. I know many here keep referring to a game against Collingwood at some time but I don't remember it.

Over the past 20 years, we’ve had enough busts for me to believe it’s not solely the players or the recruiters. There is not a lot to suggest that we should have full faith in our ability to get the best out of players now. Hence my desire for old heads from successful clubs.

Surely we're past the stage of importing opposition has-beens (noting that we probably failed to do so when the time was right under Bolton). Hawthorn, Geelong (and to a lesser extent Richmond and the Bulldogs) built their winning cultures off the back of young guys playing and experiencing success together in the VFL. By comparison, Cross and Lewis haven't exactly tuurned things around at Melbourne.

What we're trying to build has to come from within if it's going to stick.

Didn't think he played in the middle after Teague took over and we had very few good games under Bolton. I stand to be corrected but I don't recall him tearing it up too often. I know many here keep referring to a game against Collingwood at some time but I don't remember it.

There were a few games with Bolton and Teague that SPS played higher up on the wing/middle even HF and he had very good games.

zero tackles gives an idea on the defensive running he's doing.

The Old Dark Navy's is right, he's putting too much effort into running into the wrong places.
Defneive running that means you man doesn't get the ball or you block up space is hardly going to result in a tackle.

I think there is a disconnect between what the supporters want from Dow and what the coaches want from Dow.

To me this is a very common phase in a young players education, going from the underage simply hunting the ball now they are trying to build all the defensive running and then eventually he will be released back to hunt the ball once he has shown he can do the defensive side.

Back