Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
Like they did in the wet in 1992 against the Hawks in Melb on a Saturday arvo. West Coast came from behind at 3 quarter time and finished with 11 goals for the game.

Sumich kicked 5. Went on to win the flag against Geelong:'( ( Darling kicked 5 today )

Hopefully, an omen.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
And check this out guys

edited - 2006 at the MCG, the last time the eagles beat Hawks there until today, they trailed Hawthorn by 5 points at 3 qtr time and won the game. Lynch kicked 5 for the Eagles. ( the game was also played on a Saturday lunch time time slot for WA Viewers )

Darling, Suma and Lynch 3 Key Forwards for the Eagles all kick 5 as the eagles win coming from behind at 3qtr time. Twice the margin was 5 points at 3qtr time. I'll have to check what it was in 92 at 3qtr time too, I know it was close. If it was 5 points holy *. dont think so though

* actually they led at 3qtr time in 92. Still kicked 11 goals like today and KPP booted 5!

FatPizza

Premiership Player
May 25, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I was waiting for an O Allen mark replay. I'm still waiting. That was so bloody clutch and yet commentators didn't even mention it. Has to be mark of the week for mine.
At least the main AFL channel tweeted it with the comment "Courage". So someone noticed at least...

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I had to go back and check the stats to confirm he was playing. Didn't notice him at all. Can't even recall seeing his number in Q4. Was he on the bench?
I didn't see Masten in the last qtr either. Maybe Simmo needed someone to tough it out and didn't think he was up to it. That attempted one handed pick up earlier when virtually clear was disgraceful as he should have got his body behind the ball. If he was playing for Swan Districts when Toddy was coaching, he wouldn't play another game. Seriously, I know he provides good run and it looked like his one on ones had improved but today was just rubbish. I am also beginning to think if there is any hint of rain for the game, Duggan could be an out....his game just deteriorates in the wet. Nelson showed what a bit of grunt can do. He and Shep were terrific.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok final edit

Ok so 1992 Saturday arvo lunch time slot out at Waverley in Wet, miserable conditions Hawthorn lead West Coast at Qtr time. Eagles fight back and kick 11 goals for the game with Sumich kicking 5. Eagles win the flag.

In 2006 at the MCG Eagles trail at quarter time and at 3 quarter time by 5 points. They fight back and win a close game by 10 points with Lynch kicking 5 goals. They went onto win the flag ( the game was also in the wet!!!! )

Today the Eagles trail Hawthorn at the MCG During the Saturday arvo lunch time slot like the above games. They trail at 3qtr time by 5 points like in 2006, and end up beating the Hawks for the first time there since the above game. They finished with 11 goals ( like in 1992 ) and once again their KPP Player in Darling kicks 5 goals.

Beat Hawthorn in Melbourne for the first time last year although it was at Marvel. Went on to win the flag ( half time goal tally of 6 like today )

Also in 1992, 2006 and 2019 the games they played against the Hawks they played in a grand final the year before! 2018 they won it

Premiers this year?

Last edited:
Back