Autopsy Rd 16 2017: Swans vs. Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of the smaller name swans players batting way above their average this game

**** that first 6 weeks. Could have ruined everything.
This. We stormed temporarily into 6th place, but if Melbourne and Wet Toast win we're back out of the eight again, correct?

Grrrr.

That shocker start to the season is really starting to bite.

On the other hand, our machine-like way of playing as a team right now gives me confidence that little can stand in our way. Huge momentum is building and you'd be bold to tip against the awesome Sydney Swans at the moment.

Last edited:

The start had me worried. We keep coming out in these must-win games and going missing as soon as the ball is bounced. Granted we did a good job at wrestling the game back onto our terms, but it won't be this easy in any of the rest of our games.

The most pleasing aspect was that we won this game with minimal contributions from some important players. Obviously Kennedy was out, but Hannebery (arguably our most influential mid), Naismith (our lead ruck), Reid (arguably our best mark), Jones (our best source of run out of the back half), Heeney (one of our most dynamic mids), and Papley (our best goal-sneak) all had fairly average games by their standards. It left the door open for blokes like Towers, Jack and Rohan to pleasantly surprise. It generally feels like on a weekly basis we're getting more of an even spread across the whole team, and relying less on the old guard (who are all mid-20s) to get us through games.

On that note.. wtf is going on with Hannebery? Why on earth is he getting games? Don't care if we have a must-win game against GWS coming up, he can't play. The guy couldn't run today and his 10 tackle game does not reflect the instances where he just flat out gave up on any contest where he had to run. I love Hanners but it's a liability when one of your guns is involved in everything but not being able to do anything.

Big Sammy the Dinosaur equals Gawn but gets beaten by Witts. Go figure.
I hope Rohan enjoyed his performance because he just set the benchmark for himself. Not in terms of 5 goals every game. That will probably never happen again because we'll never encounter a back-line as dysfunctional as Gold Coast's today. But he stayed in the game for 4 quarters, his impact on the game was pretty consistent across the whole match regarding his pressure and his marking. We'll now find out whether he's good enough to use this career-best game as a launching pad for continued improvement.
Parker is a gun. Yeah front runner bla bla Mitchell bla bla. When he's firing on all cylinders he's one of about a handful of players in the comp who are the full package. Really stood up as the midfield lieutenant today when it seemed like all our other mids were pretty average.
Florent's game will again be under-appreciated. For every time he looks out of place amongst the big boys, there are times he just looks so silky and appears to be such a smart footballer. Also really liked his efforts. He's like Foote but with some footy intellect which is hard to come by at his age and inexperience.
Buddy is just Buddy. He sets such a ridiculously high standard for himself that 3.4 and 19 possessions is an average game of footy. Hopefully he's saved up his beast-mode performance for next week.
Towers was really good today and his second and third efforts were outstanding. Never been sold on him but i've always liked his effort. Today was just one of those games where his effort translated into good things actually happening. Anyone who had him in the top 5 on the ground are just getting carried away. :rolleyes:
Hewett is also showing all the signs of a gun. So clean and composed when even our bigger stars were coughing up the ball through stupid errors. He's Pendlebury-like and if he can be half the player Pendles is, we've got a keeper.

~~~ this paragraph is dedicated to Jake Lloyd, who is a God. He feels like a staple. It's like i already feel extremely blessed to have watched Lloyd play as a Swan, and he's only 23 with probably a decade still to go. ~~~

~~~ and this paragraph is dedicated to Sir Dane of House Rampe, who played one of the most majestic defender's games seen this year but because his name is not Alex Rance, let's just attribute that to Tom Lynch being down on confidence. ~~~

Witts is a fantastic ruckman now. I had a hard time believing he'd ever be anything when he was at the Pies, he looked like he didn't understand his role at all. But he's turned into a very effective ruckman. Naismith losing the battle to him wasn't a surprise to me whatsoever. Mumford lost to McEvoy yesterday considerably too, but Naismith will have to bring something more like the Melbourne game next week; Mumford always gets himself up to play us.

I'd keep Robinson in ahead of Florent next week. I sound like a broken record but I just don't believe Florent is ready for week-after-week senior football yet. And I like Robinson.

Yesterday's game has become symptomatic of Towers' career to this point. He'll underwhelm in games where players are coming at him from all angles to pressure him into a decision, but he'll look like a star against teams that are giving no pressure. I'm glad for him that he played well, but the real test is next week against GWS. If he plays a good game where he picks good options and doesn't freak out when pressure is applied, maybe I'll start to believe he's turned something of a corner, but absolutely not before he plays strongly against a quality team.

Witts is a fantastic ruckman now. I had a hard time believing he'd ever be anything when he was at the Pies, he looked like he didn't understand his role at all. But he's turned into a very effective ruckman. Naismith losing the battle to him wasn't a surprise to me whatsoever. Mumford lost to McEvoy yesterday considerably too, but Naismith will have to bring something more like the Melbourne game next week; Mumford always gets himself up to play us.

I'd keep Robinson in ahead of Florent next week. I sound like a broken record but I just don't believe Florent is ready for week-after-week senior football yet. And I like Robinson.

Yesterday's game has become symptomatic of Towers' career to this point. He'll underwhelm in games where players are coming at him from all angles to pressure him into a decision, but he'll look like a star against teams that are giving no pressure. I'm glad for him that he played well, but the real test is next week against GWS. If he plays a good game where he picks good options and doesn't freak out when pressure is applied, maybe I'll start to believe he's turned something of a corner, but absolutely not before he plays strongly against a quality team.
Dean is still going to do freak out things. All players make mistakes - McVeigh gifted a stupid goal. Unfortunately for Dean, he looks freaked out when he makes them so we all remember them well.

I am going to back Dean into the finals and encourage him to hit the goals more. He sets up a lot of goals but he needs to score as well if he wants respect.

1. Don't think our first quarters recently have been too bad. But agree we'll need much better "scoreboard pressure" against GWS.

2. Has Plugger been on annual leave the last 3 weeks?

3. Mills, in a helmet, to go to straight to Greene next week.

Robinson received praise from Horse for his job on Harbrow. I still think he will make way for Kennedy but it's so simplistic to generalise a player's contribution to what he does offensively.

Who is?

He just looks lost on an afl field

Pretty big overstatement imo. Only injuries have stopped him from getting an established run in seniors and I think he's very capable of playing extended time in seniors. Brandon Jack tends to look lost on an AFL field to me, not Robinson. I'd happily pick him ahead of Florent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty big overstatement imo. Only injuries have stopped him from getting an established run in seniors and I think he's very capable of playing extended time in seniors. Brandon Jack tends to look lost on an AFL field to me, not Robinson. I'd happily pick him ahead of Florent.

Florent will be a way better player than robinsoin imo

I think injuries have just delayed the inevitable delisting, just a view,

A lot of the smaller name swans players batting way above their average this game
We seem to have the luck atm of playing injury decimated teams.
I like what it is doing for our confidence though.
They had Ablett, Hanley, Barlow, Hall, Rischetelli missing in the mids. Someone else I don't recall too.
Imagine if we are down Kennedy, Hewett, Jones, Parker and Rampe. We were 0-6 when missing less.
Next up gws minus quite a few. Hopefully the same result.

Hanners must be rested IMHO - Cunningham can be the runner, if not as good inside.

Robinson received praise from Horse for his job on Harbrow. I still think he will make way for Kennedy but it's so simplistic to generalise a player's contribution to what he does offensively.
Good preparation for a possible run with role on Shaw next week.

We seem to have the luck atm of playing injury decimated teams.
I like what it is doing for our confidence though.
They had Ablett, Hanley, Barlow, Hall, Rischetelli missing in the mids. Someone else I don't recall too.
Imagine if we are down Kennedy, Hewett, Jones, Parker and Rampe. We were 0-6 when missing less.
Next up gws minus quite a few. Hopefully the same result.

Hanners must be rested IMHO - Cunningham can be the runner, if not as good inside.
Cunningham hasn't played in weeks, would need to come back through NEAFL.
To play him straight up with no preparation against GWS would seem to be a strange move.

Can we get the old fool out of the club song
The players seem to love him. After the reserves match finished, NicMal made a b-line straight for Mr and Mrs Kenny, gave them both a hug and kiss and chatted for about five minutes.

If cunningham is fit next week we need the speed.
I would put florent out for cunningham. he was a bit wasteful today I can see him becoming a good player but he is not quite there yet
Cunningham has been out since round nine with the same injury that finished Dane Swan's career and cost Michael Talia the whole of last season. The club tells us that Cunningham's Lisfranc is not as serious as either Swan's or Talia's, but they also told us that he would miss six weeks. That was seven weeks ago and he still hasn't even come back to reserves!
I can't see Harry back anytime soon.

Cunningham has been out since round nine with the same injury that finished Dane Swan's career and cost Michael Talia the whole of last season. The club tells us that Cunningham's Lisfranc is not as serious as either Swan's or Talia's, but they also told us that he would miss six weeks. That was seven weeks ago and he still hasn't even come back to reserves!
I can't see Harry back anytime soon.

He's still a little while away.

Cunningham hasn't played in weeks, would need to come back through NEAFL.
To play him straight up with no preparation against GWS would seem to be a strange move.

You are probably right, who do you see then? We can't have a half crocked Hanners going forward. We need him fit and in peak form if we are to do anything later in the year. That means one, maybe two weeks off I reckon. So we need someone who can run all day both ways.

Florent will be a way better player than robinsoin imo

I think injuries have just delayed the inevitable delisting, just a view,

I think so too, but right now I think Robinson is definitely the more complete and versatile.

But I also think he's just a solid player worthy of senior games who wouldn't disappoint if called upon. Kinda like Laidler. Superfluous to needs at full strength probably but a worthy foot soldier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back