Autopsy Rd 16 Blues keep their season alive with 16 point win over Dockers

Who played well in Round 16 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. It's really not that difficult to use the whole ground to create space, is it?
For instance just some simple moves:
Shrink the ground by half and use the other open half to run into for the pass.
Run the wide to both sides and open up the middle for a short or long kick.
If the opposition run defensive zone across the ground, then use the holes to get clear kick. It's not rocket science....
Not sure what’s being practiced in this department SB but for me there seems to be a lack of creative imagination from our defensive team, we can’t keep going with the Groundhog Day method it’s poor for development both players and system...

We're playing better, we're playing closer to the opposition and that is allowing us to put on more pressure. We probably get done for pace a bit at times but it's not a huge issue. Our defending needs some work still but the improvement is significant enough which is good for the coach because if this keeps up then his career is surely looking safer. I think our forwards need to do more as midfielders when we are playing defensive slower footy. Betts is great in this role and Owies not too bad however when numbers are pushed back our smaller forwards need to really compete in the clinches around the middle of the ground at times just that bit better.

We had a down patch but they didn't smash us and we opened the game up towards the end. Getting a bit better when the game gets defensive is on the cards but the last few weeks so far so good.

We have a very good rebounding backline and it functions well when supported but the pressure from the forward line and midfield.

Walsh - He's probably our best player, he's elite, if there is anything to criticise it is that sometimes he kicks long to the opposition's advantage but gee his kicking has improved.

Newman - He was excellent apart from a few missed kicks but I really liked his game.

Cripps - He was great, I really want to see him spend time at centre half forward, not resting but up the ground in an offensive role. With Kennedy and some young mids coming on why not?

Dow - He was pretty good however he was massive for half the game and quiet for the other half, either way it's good to see him playing some good footy and to see his kicking going well. He's got that explosive speed, if he continues to use it well then we need to look to bring him into the game more.

Kennedy - He's been really useful, he will always get beaten for pace at times but if he plays at this level then he is going to make up for it.

Weitering - He has to be in contention for AA. He's going really well.

Curnow - TBH he's just ok. His disposal isn't too great and it's more vision than execution. He plays his role but how long until we find more damaging options.

Saad - He's been really good, he's had to defend a lot more at times and he has done it well.

Silvagni - He made some mistakes but he had a great game. His goal kicking and overhead marking define his game and that wasn't too bad.

SPS - He was ok, he's great when he has it because he hits those targets that open the game up. His game is building which is great.

Fogarty - I like Fogarty, I thought he was pretty good, he runs hard and he uses it fairly well and he's hard at it.

Newnes - His disposal is a bit rough but he's hard at it.

Jones - He's another who must be in contention for AA, he's playing so well, never seen his hands better.

Stocker - could debate whether he should be in defence or in the centre, I would like to see a bit of both but we don't do that. He's got it, he's skilled, strong and hard at it.

Martin - Needs to polish up his goal kicking. He drifts in and out a bit and I would like to see him doing better up the field.

Betts - He was excellent, good around goal, good up the field, good offensively and defensively.

Williamson - He was solid. Made one clumsy mistake with a high tackle but he was pretty good.

Owies - Really like Owies, needs to work on his goal kicking from 50-40m. Like his game and how it is growing.

Plowman - Playing excellent footy and in career best form.

Casboult - Wasn't good, out marked a lot and is just too slow to contribute at ground level. Why pick a player for a few marks up the field and 7-9 hitouts? I thought Silvagni was perfectly fine in this role last week.

McKay - Another pretty good game, having to deal with being double teamed at times and getting better there.

DeKoning - He was good, he is still growing his game, needs to work on his marking and build some size but the footy he is playing is good.

Have now watched the replay for the second time (first one was with a couple big scotches so doesn't really count)

While we lost the clearances can only think of the arsy snap from Brayshaw (where the ball could have gone anywhere with the way it hit his boot) that resulted in a goal. The defence stood up really well against it.

What really cost us was our kicking out defence at the end of the 2nd, 3rd and start of the last quarters when we had solid leads. As much as I loved Stockers game a couple of times he bombed it long straight to Dockers. If you are going to do this at least put it close to the boundary so it is easy to defend.

Thought it was a real team effort with only TDK, Levi and Harry being disappointing.
  • TDK has given very little and as much as Pitt doesn't get any love we were more competitive at the stoppages when he was in the team. 1 possession after 1qtr time is not good enough . He needs to get involved providing an option. When he got the taps they seemed to go straight to the Dockers.
  • Levi had a few moments late. One of which he decided to not hand off to Saad and then turned it over. We must put the ball in the hands of the good kicks/decision makers. I think he has to stay until we can get other tall options in the team.
  • H needs to stop going to ground, be harder at the contest and provide better defensive efforts.

Was wrapped for Willow. While he didn't get a lot of the ball, I don't remember him making a mistake and looked good when he had it. It has been a tough year in the 2s playing taller than he should be asked to play and not being able to his strengths.

Dow's first quarter was great and was happy that he was able to get a bit of it in the last after being quiet in the 3rd. Can't wait for him to have a 4qtr game. Still needs to try to get more uncontested possessions. With his disposal improving team mates should have more confidence giving him the ball.

For all the talk of Freo having more shots, apart from Henry's 2 misses in the first, there were no super easy misses. Carlton would have more set shot misses for the game.

I loved seeing the fight to win in the last quarter. And with that effort, I want a see a new era of selection integrity.

They're not fit, but if they were - Setterfield would need to play out of his skin in the 2s to get a game ahead of Kennedy or Ed. Same for Gov, he'd need to dominate the 2s to get a look in ahead of or alongside JSOS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Huge improvements on:
1. Short kicks to move the ball up the field with patience. Players were noticeably taking their time waiting for the right option to present.
2. Lowering of eyes when kicking into the F50 - lots more directed kicks to a lead, or to space for a player to lead into.
3. Defensive pressure and tackling went up a notch.
4. Dow, Stocker and Kennedy continue to grow and improve.

• Levi had a few moments late. One of which he decided to not hand off to Saad and then turned it over. We must put the ball in the hands of the good kicks/decision makers. I think he has to stay until we can get other tall options in the team.
No he didn't.

He had 3 kicks in the last qtr.
Kick 1 one was a long kick down the boundary to Matt Kennedy who was all on his own.

Kick 2 - was that dodgy left foot kick that went to a team mate and ended up with Jack Silvagni having a shot at goal.

Kick 3 - which is the one I think you are referring too. Saad went past but Levi didn't give it to him. Levi kicked it long and the mark was taken by Cripps who then kicked it to Martin and Saad ran past and kicked it long for the Walsh goal.

Some of the vitriol I have seen aimed at Levi over the weekend has been disgusting especially on twitter with people calling him a disgrace to the jumper and a waste of time.

The coaching panel knew TDK would run out of puff against Darcy and Lobb and that is where Levi fought to the end and was out marking Darcy.

"If only Freo kicked straight!" Carlton's kicked more points than goals this year too, but how is that an excuse??

Should've, could've, would've. If my uncle had t*ts he'd be my auntie.

Suck it up Freo, we beat you the last 2 times we played at Optus too!
If every team switched their points kicked for goals and vice versa we would be sitting 4th

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said it earlier in this thread it seems the penny dropped after that incident with Pitto when he didn't go. I reckon something was discussed in the aftermath of that game and his mind has been reset. Either they gave him a bake or he said he isn't playing on instinct and they've reset him. Gone back to what made him a good u18 player.

The results are he is now hunting the ball, extracting balls he shouldn't even get near and when give half a chance speeds away from the contest.

Then lastly his improved skill is due to having the confidence to take an extra step to steady and make a good kick.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Thing is though Pitto should have gone for that ball and got the handball out to Paddy to use his pace and evasiveness to get a clearance from the contest, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That hit by Stocks at the end is what got him his fine. There was nothing in that that you don't see a couple of dozen times a weekend. The shockers player stayed down holding his head to make sure he got the free, then popped up as if nothing had happened.

Doesn't mind helping out down back either ..played a great game.
Him and Owies both make forays into the backline to help out. And then burst back onto the wings to help link up in transition.

Perhaps now it seems this corralling BS is being eliminated from our mindset is helping players like Dow, Kennedy do the instinctive hunting. Teague I feel has taken a bit from his time at Weagles and Simpson's playbook. West Coast are currently 18th for defensive pressure and play the corralling game, which they've done to perfection more often than not the last few years. Now it's starting to break down and when Weagles lose, or opponents work around it they leak like a sieve (sound familiar to another club we know).

If we can walk out of this season having found 4 best 22 players, with three under 22.. in:
Dow, TDK, Stocker and Kennedy

Then we are laughing! Bolster the squad with Curnow, improve the coaching strategy with or without Teague and we are set for a big 2022.

And Owies who's been great. Parks showed something too.

Him and Owies both make forays into the backline to help out. And then burst back onto the wings to help link up in transition.

Clearly a work in progress and Freo's inaccuracy helped us, but a slightly more defensive shift has been noticed since the bye. Getting more numbers back to help our defence and at least the last 2 weeks our tackling has been strong.

I noticed quite a few times in the Freo game where we got the ball quickly out of defence but our forwards were outnumbered 3 to 1...I don't think I remember seeing that so much in the first half of the year, but it's a sign that we have numbers rolling back to help our backline more than we used to. We'll want to adjust how we exit defence though if we persist with this structure.

Thing is though Pitto should have gone for that ball and got the handball out to Paddy to use his pace and evasiveness to get a clearance from the contest, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It is a tough one where you would rather both players go for it than no one. Ideally Ruckmen should leave the lose balls for midfielders if there isn't an opponent going to get it first. Problem is that last time they both went for the ball Dow ended up looking like a cyclops.

Have now watched the replay for the second time (first one was with a couple big scotches so doesn't really count)

While we lost the clearances can only think of the arsy snap from Brayshaw (where the ball could have gone anywhere with the way it hit his boot) that resulted in a goal. The defence stood up really well against it.

What really cost us was our kicking out defence at the end of the 2nd, 3rd and start of the last quarters when we had solid leads. As much as I loved Stockers game a couple of times he bombed it long straight to Dockers. If you are going to do this at least put it close to the boundary so it is easy to defend.

Thought it was a real team effort with only TDK, Levi and Harry being disappointing.
  • TDK has given very little and as much as Pitt doesn't get any love we were more competitive at the stoppages when he was in the team. 1 possession after 1qtr time is not good enough . He needs to get involved providing an option. When he got the taps they seemed to go straight to the Dockers.
  • H needs to stop going to ground, be harder at the contest and provide better defensive efforts.

Was wrapped for Willow. While he didn't get a lot of the ball, I don't remember him making a mistake and looked good when he had it. It has been a tough year in the 2s playing taller than he should be asked to play and not being able to his strengths.

Dow's first quarter was great and was happy that he was able to get a bit of it in the last after being quiet in the 3rd. Can't wait for him to have a 4qtr game. Still needs to try to get more uncontested possessions. With his disposal improving team mates should have more confidence giving him the ball.

For all the talk of Freo having more shots, apart from Henry's 2 misses in the first, there were no super easy misses. Carlton would have more set shot misses for the game.
Was really impressed, with the club, felt they made him the general in defense of our ressies, it really shone through in this game.
Agree he didn't get it much when he did he did it with authority.👍
He's going to be a real important player for our club moving forward.

Back