Autopsy Rd 16 Blues keep their season alive with 16 point win over Dockers

Who played well in Round 16 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Glad Nic Newman is getting votes. One of my favourite playes. Always plays with ticker and I certainly believe he provides the composure and mature decision making our young kids/players need. Terrific recruit.

The only criticism I've got on him is that he seems to regularly ignore short targets even if there isn't a better target available long. He'll get a player open 25m up field, ignore them, and spend 5 seconds propped or joggling slowly waiting for a long target to open up. When it doesn't (which feels like most of the time) it just ends up being a long kick down the line to a contest.

Not sure if it's him or if he's being directed to make the most of his long peg, but it can be a little frustrating to see what could be a simple chain of possession end in a dead ball on the wing. Quick decisions and execution seem to me to be a better option than holding up the play and allowing the opposition to set up their defense.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Coaches' Votes

7 -
Sean Darcy (FRE)
7 - Jacob Weitering (CARL)
5 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
5 - Samuel Walsh (CARL)
4 -
Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
1 - Paddy Dow (CARL)
1 - Jack Silvagni (CARL)

Can't argue with Darcy getting that many coaches votes, he almost single handedly (along with Brayshaw) won the game for Freo.

Happy Jack got a vote. Son of Steve gets a bum wrap amongst opposition flogs and sadly some Blues fans, but I love watching him grow and develop as a player.

Had his kicking boots on Sat Night too happily for us.

Would be delighted if Jack can reproduce that form more often, the Silvagnis are Carlton Royalty after all

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Decision making?
He loves to turn it over in the backline under no pressure.

He takes risks, no doubt, but I don't mind that in a defender. Take the game on, kick it on, instead of the usual boring chip chip, sideways kicks that go nowhere.

In light of Doc's absence, he provided a steady hand down back last weekend, least from where I watched the game in the Olympic (still haven't watched the replay)

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Coaches' Votes

7 -
Sean Darcy (FRE)
7 - Jacob Weitering (CARL)
5 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
5 - Samuel Walsh (CARL)
4 -
Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
1 - Paddy Dow (CARL)
1 - Jack Silvagni (CARL)

That's a weird spread of votes, trying to wrap my head around it.

Something like:

Coach A:
5 - Darcy
4 - Brayshaw
3 - Weitering
2 - Walsh
1 - Dow

Coach B:
5 - Cripps
4 - Weitering
3 - Walsh
2 - Darcy
1 - Silvagni

Coach A being Longmuir, Coach B being Teague who may have rewarded Cripps playing through injury as captain?

Jeremysiron

Cancelled
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Defensive structures are poor and still need a lot of work..

But...
How good is it actually having a midfield that actually clicks and works together...
Walsh, Dow, Cripps, Kennedy, SPS, Curnow, fogarty & Newnes all worked great together tonight
and the best thing they lowered their eyes going forward and connected with our forwards...

hallelujah!!!

You’re kidding right??

They had a good first quarter.

Then the midfield got belted for almost the next 3 quarters straight. Lost almost every single ball up. Comprehensively.

They got a few clearances but they were scrappy bombs. When they weren’t losing 9/10. Part of that is due to the big freo ruckmans dominance, but it was disappointing to see the midfield line up, time after time, at every ball up and watching freo waltz away with it.

The lack of ability or desire to get first hands on the ball is a serious concern.

Can you please watch the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters and tell me how the midfield played well? Watch how many times they get first possession.

we were lucky they didn’t kick straight, and our defence played really well. That was a 6 goal loss if they kicked straight.

I do agree, it was fantastic to see them try and hit leading targets, a big improvement from the bomb it long all the time strategy.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
He takes risks, no doubt, but I don't mind that in a defender. Take the game on, kick it on, instead of the usual boring chip chip, sideways kicks that go nowhere.

In light of Doc's absence, he provided a steady hand down back last weekend, least from where I watched the game in the Olympic (still haven't watched the replay)

He had a pretty good game, but decision making isn't one of his strengths.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
That's a weird spread of votes, trying to wrap my head around it.

Something like:

Coach A:
5 - Darcy
4 - Brayshaw
3 - Weitering
2 - Walsh
1 - Dow

Coach B:
5 - Cripps
4 - Weitering
3 - Walsh
2 - Darcy
1 - Silvagni

Coach A being Longmuir, Coach B being Teague who may have rewarded Cripps playing through injury as captain?

Potentially Brayshaw could have gotten 2x2, with Cripps and Walsh both getting 5-0

Jeremysiron

Cancelled
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Wondering what people think of development after tonight

Dow, Kennedy, Stocker, SPS, JSos

SPS drilled a couple of blinder kicks….and squibbed it on 3 seperate occasions, every time it was his time to go. Also couldn’t get near a contested possession when in the middle. Not even close,won’t even try to win a contested ball - watch the game again, it’s why he was tried at half back, and he only ever win 12-15 touches, all soft receives. Martin showed more on one leg.

Stocker - love his toughness - desperately what this team needs - another 10 of him. Can’t wait to see him fit enough to play midfield. Gun.

Kennedy - another good game, kicking has improved -he’s slow, so needs quicker players around him - not sure him and cripps together work.

dow - great improvement in almost all areas, still went missing, most likely due to fitness - needs to get fitter and a lot bigger. Great improvement in skills. Would like to see less of the hot potato handballs, he’s good enough to take the game on and do something good with it! Have confidence!

JSOS- always gives 100%

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
SPS drilled a couple of blinder kicks….and squibbed it on 3 seperate occasions, every time it was his time to go. Also couldn’t get near a contested possession when in the middle. Not even close,won’t even try to win a contested ball - watch the game again, it’s why he was tried at half back, and he only ever win 12-15 touches, all soft receives. Martin showed more on one leg.

Stocker - love his toughness - desperately what this team needs - another 10 of him. Can’t wait to see him fit enough to play midfield. Gun.

Kennedy - another good game, kicking has improved -he’s slow, so needs quicker players around him - not sure him and cripps together work.

dow - great improvement in almost all areas, still went missing, most likely due to fitness - needs to get fitter and a lot bigger. Great improvement in skills. Would like to see less of the hot potato handballs, he’s good enough to take the game on and do something good with it! Have confidence!

JSOS- always gives 100%

SPS was at HF, not the middle. Could you point out when he squid 3 contests and I will have another look

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton

:oops: :rolleyes: :thumbsdown:

Jeremysiron

Cancelled
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
SPS was at HF, not the middle. Could you point out when he squid 3 contests and I will have another look

sure!

9:30 to go in the first zero physicality

7 to go in the third…amazing physicality

And the start of the 4th…should have taken the mark or crunched the bloke coming back with the flight…instead goes arms only.

he played 2/3rds of the game wing and midfield and was in at plenty of bounces.

he’s a ripper human and a great happy human, which is great. I’m not having a go at him, I’m having a go at our coaches and mc for poor development and low standards by giving him games, when he’s got so much to work on.

but he plays bruise free footy, and has for 4+ years….it’s an indictment on our development that we haven’t trained that out of him, or made him earn games in the twos to get his physicality to the needed level.

If he’s going to be only soft and outside, then he should have been in the twos building a tank like isaac smith or gaff or Brad hill type players….he’d be bottom 1/4 in fitness at the club

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Vote for Walshy (GOTY)

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Vote for Walshy (GOTY)

Look, it was a terrific goal, but I don't think it's the goal of the year.

Back