Autopsy Rd 16 Blues last quarter comeback ends in heartbreak

Who played well for the Blues against the Dees in Round 16?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Having said that, who doesnt love a chest mark 10ft off the ground rising from behind a pack of 5 players at a pivotal moment?
If you are referring to the one in the last qtr, that was after his opponent for the day had kicked 6 and was off the ground injured, The damage had been done. I love his athleticism and attack on the ball, but it needs to be better tempered and considered.

But then again how many times does he leave his man and take a saving mark. When it works its awesome, when it doesn't it kills us. He has to find the happy medium and when he has an off day he gets it wrong way too much.
He just needs to match up his desire to attack with the ability of his opponent to kick goals.
McDonald is really their only KPF that was likely to kick goals and has hurt us before = more accountable and less attack.

Liked Kennedy yesterday - gives us that lead-up forward.. Good mark and a good shot for goal. Reckon he can make it as a forward.

I wonder if having TDK in the side up forward would have made a difference yesterday ???

I like the way Teague will throw them around and try things. Setterfield forward just one.

I have always liked the list we are developing because it is talented and very flexible. Through the middle and forward it can be thrown around and a tough match up. We just need to bring more pressure.

Cripps Charlie Setterfield Kennedy Jack Stocker Cuningham Walsh Dow are all stars (some potentially) that can be damaging in both areas. It's why I like the addition of Martin

IMO it will be a massive strength in the future.

I agree Gab personal attacking etc is not acceptable particularly if someone disagrees.... like you I wait a bit post game

Also posting after the game pissed is not a good idea either and bleating about umpires ...it’s not going to end well

We all love our Blues that’s one thing for sure !
If I post pissed it's usually in the music thread...

Im rarely on bf after I've had a few tho, usually doing other things

Last edited:
Disappointing loss really, a bottom side, we had a chance to jump them on the ladder and played with no intensity or and lacked effort for the first half. Too many passengers and poorly skilled players in the side.

These poor starts and another loss to a bottom team, it's not helping the coaches chances of getting the job. The players need to lift, it's just not good enough.

Curnow - Always puts in, hard at it and lots of effort. Wasn't an overly prolific game but was ok.

Newman - He's a bit of a competitor but he's just an ordinary player. Would be a good player if he didn't butcher his kicks so often.

Silvagni - Awesome game. Hasn't been holding his overhead marks but this game he did. Was pretty good through the midfield, was the only player in there in the first half winning the ball. Clean hands and dishes off well. Kicked some nice goals and took some nice marks and hit his targets.

Walsh - Love how this guy player, just relentlessly competes and is very clean. Just needs to hit his targets better, breaks tackles but isn't always hitting his handballs. Still a really good player for us. Just goes hard.

Murphy - Really good game from Murphy, he's just got going again, cleared the ball well, made some nice tackles and wen't all day, was just not as prolific as he can be.

Kreuzer - He was ok, competitive, took a few nice marks but that's about it.

Thomas - He's a gun. Love the hardness and intensity and no fumble footy he's playing.

Setterfield - Some might say he had a good game, you look at the stats and it looks alright but it was not alright. Three goals is a good game but it wasn't, it was a stinker. Had the opportunity numerous times to win us the game and just didn't. Missed two shots from right in front and dropped the easiest of chest marks tight in front of goal which would have given us the lead. Played the first half in the midfield and struggled wo apply pressure or win the footy and was just ordinary. Good on him for kicking 3 and getting in the right spot a bit but it was not a good game. Should have kicked 6, I'm glad he kicked 3 but wasted his opportunities and was just so poor prior to that. Hopefully gets better. Keep him forward and hope he can tidy his game up.

Plowman - Fairly ordinary game. Did some poor things kicking the ball and was exposed for pace. Can defend alright but is a plodder. Good with the right matchup and he struggled for one.

Simpson - Tried hard but it starting to slow down a bit, still competed well and was alright in the end.

Casboult - Got out marked a couple of times but he kept presenting and putting himself in the right place and gave us a chop out in the ruck. He gave plenty to the team, just like him there and like his effort.

Lang - Did some nice things at times and ran to the right spots but didn't use the ball well and spent a lot of the game missing.

Kennedy - Really liking the footy he is playing. He's giving us a hard hitting ball winner up forward and he's got a nice long boot on him. He's playing some really hard footy and I love it. Getting to the right place, hitting the game hard and he had a few shots on goal plus a few nice kicks going in.

Fisher - Spent the first half of the game missing. Played midfield in the second half and was pretty good but needs to keep himself involved. Needs to add a physical side to his game and some hardness if he's going to go any further in this game. Little blokes who are good like him are really good at getting free kicks for high tackles and there's a reason why he isn't, doesn't go in hard and this is why he's been shifted off the ball by Teague.

SPS - Really disappointed with the footy he's playing. He's playing soft non-contact football. Just runs around getting easy uncontested kicks and won't go in when it's his turn to put the body on the line and go hard. Gets his 15-20 touches per game but there is a missing the 5-10 touches where he's not going hard at the contested ball. It's all well and good to run around and receive and gather lose balls and I like his disposal but he spent a lot of this game missing when it was tough and the heat was on. Same as Fisher, little blokes like him are usually good at getting free kicks for high tackles but he doesn't go hard and this is why Teague isn't playing him on the ball.

Gibbons - Does some ok things but he can't kick. He's just an ordinary player but he tries and he has a go and he's kicking a goal a game now and that is how he's hanging on in the side.

O'Brien - Missing for most of the game, a few touches late but he was uninvolved and I feel his opponent might have got a bit lose. Couldn't back up last weeks more prolific game.

Marchbank - He seemed to play alright without setting the game on fire.

Dow - Played mostly forward, struggled to get the footy, did some alright things, missed a pass by foot early in the game. Was lazy and in first gear when applying pressure as he always is. Just a really unimpressive footballer for mine and I know he's young but that is the reality of it. Should not be playing senior football.

Weitering - Was a quiet game from him before getting injured late in the game but I feel his injury restructured us and we looked better not being so tall.

McGovern - This guy can't get a kick. Doesn't look like he can run and get separation or doesn't know where to run too. He's another who should not be in the side. Looking like a wasted and pointless trade at this stage.

Jones - Early on he was shocking, getting a bath from everyone. Missed spoils, looked uncoordinated and just looked right out of place playing up the ground. Came good later in the game but it was a very very poor game from him.

You look at that team and there's just too many players who aren't up to it or don't play hard enough and it's our top few who carry the team every week. Our fitness also looks good, great we can come home strong but our starts are either a lack of effort or a lack of quality over the team as a whole. Hopefully we get some players back and can push a few back to the reserves.

It's a bit weird in here. We were ordinary for most of the match but with two minutes left we were in front, despite only playing a single quarter. It's one thing to acknowledge the reality of it - that, at the moment, we're pretty bad - but it's completely another for the number of 'Not good enough's and 'Horrific's and 'Player X must be dropped, never again's in here.

It's like people have forgotten what has come before, in pursuit of hitting harder. I don't get it. Would people prefer how things were last season? I can't see much difference in the language or the attitude really, nor do I see much point to it. I mean, we're here to support our team, so why so very many people that simply do not see the good for the bad? This mob belted us by 100 points last season; we played them yesterday without Cripps, or Charlie, or Harry. We played just about as poorly as we have over the last five weeks, yet we were 2 minutes away from having romped home with a six goal final term.

Also, there's next to nothing attractive in footy these days. Reading our responses in here, you'd be given the impression that plenty simply don't watch other games, because if they did they'd notice just how utterly rubbish everyone is this season. Geelong v Dogs was an ugly, ugly game. Collingwood haven't been attractive since late last year. There's a reason the Lions are everyone's darling, and that is entirely due to how aesthetically pleasing they are to watch; they won't win it, but they're at least playing pretty footy, the only side who is. Port are boring; Adelaide is s**t; Essendon is s**t; Hawthorn is s**t. There were pundits last week that described our game against Freo as the game of the season; hyperbole, sure, but it was attractive, pressure ridden but still sufficiently high scoring to make it interesting. The game is going through an ugly phase; if you don't like it, that's fine and neither do I, but don't attack Carlton for the sins of the competition as a whole.

It's not about being a 'realist' or an 'optimist' either. Realists see what is, and they acknowledge the relevance of the past. Our past is poorer than we are now, our trajectory is positive. I suppose I just don't understand the 'line in the sand' style rhetoric; sure, it makes you feel big and strong as though you're doing something, but the reality of the situation is that even if you had the power to evince change onfield there is all probability that what changes you would make would produce inferior results.

I don't get ranting, I suppose.

Seeing as there's an elephant in the room here, all I'll say on the subject of umpiring is that there are a number of players league wide who have forged careers out of convincing umpires that they were infringed upon, and Tom Macdonald is one of those players. If we're looking at umpiring, perhaps the onus should be instead on banning the types of play and players that seek to obtain unfair advantage via diving or seeking illegal contact. It's cheating, and that the AFL allows it weekly is as much a travesty as the umpiring itself ever is.

Last edited:
He has a never-ending motor doesn't he? I think he got caught trying to do a bit much in tight today when he would have been better suited hitting the first option. Nevertheless, what a superstar.
This is something I think he does actually do alot most weeks. Always looking for the best option whgen sometimes the first option is the best one. Thought he helped turn the tide today in the 4th

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not about being a 'realist' or an 'optimist' either. Realists see what is, and they acknowledge the relevance of the past. Our past is poorer than we are now, our trajectory is positive. I suppose I just don't understand the 'line in the sand' style rhetoric; sure, it makes you feel big and strong as though you're doing something, but the reality of the situation is that even if you had the power to evince change onfield there is all probability that what changes you would make would produce inferior results.

I don't get ranting, I suppose.

Seeing as there's an elephant in the room here, all I'll say on the subject of umpiring is that there are a number of players league wide who have forged careers out of convincing umpires that they were infringed upon, and Tom Macdonald is one of those players. If we're looking at umpiring, perhaps the onus should be instead on banning the types of play and players that seek to obtain unfair advantage via diving or seeking illegal contact. It's cheating, and that the AFL allows it weekly is as much a travesty as the umpiring itself ever is.

Good post. Reality is that football itself is somewhat boring and flaw-ridden - That's being a realist.
With that said, a club doesn't have to be brilliant but simply to be a little harder, cleaner and less flaw-ridden in order to be competitive in this competition.

Umpires in this game will always be seen to be either poor, or if one is receiving less frees, biased or corrupt. When has it been any different?
That's not to say they don't deserve criticism at times because they do, but when one draws up a 'We only lost because of the umps' then it's likely to be more a case of frustration than for reality.

I like your post.

Was thinking this myself. Both were slow to start and serviceable (at best) today.

I really love Dow. I know he’s much maligned for his kicking and disposal but he’s the type of player who just needs to keep developing. He’ll cone good.
Love this. Murphy was in our best half a dozen today (again) and dow was easily in our worst 5. Yet 1 gets praised and 1 gets criticised.
Go figure

Them scoring 12 goals from frees is a f*n joke but you can't blame the loss on that..turning up for a quarter and a bit of footy just isn't good enough. I love that we've been able to come back but hopefully the boys learn quickly that they need to be on from the first bounce.

Also, do we have a tackling coach? If yes, they need to be replaced and if not, we need one asap

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bring back the Melbourne Storm fella we had working with us on tackling.

Bring back the Melbourne Storm fella we had working with us on tackling.

Is it tackling or just strength? I don't know

I just know the times I have been in the rooms this year seeing Curnow or Cripps next to a Setterfield or a Dow the difference in body shape is incredible. The former look like hard tough men and the later look like underdeveloped under 18 players.

Disappointing loss really, a bottom side, we had a chance to jump them on the ladder and played with no intensity or and lacked effort for the first half. Too many passengers and poorly skilled players in the side.

These poor starts and another loss to a bottom team, it's not helping the coaches chances of getting the job. The players need to lift, it's just not good enough.

Curnow - Always puts in, hard at it and lots of effort. Wasn't an overly prolific game but was ok.

Newman - He's a bit of a competitor but he's just an ordinary player. Would be a good player if he didn't butcher his kicks so often.

Silvagni - Awesome game. Hasn't been holding his overhead marks but this game he did. Was pretty good through the midfield, was the only player in there in the first half winning the ball. Clean hands and dishes off well. Kicked some nice goals and took some nice marks and hit his targets.

Walsh - Love how this guy player, just relentlessly competes and is very clean. Just needs to hit his targets better, breaks tackles but isn't always hitting his handballs. Still a really good player for us. Just goes hard.

Murphy - Really good game from Murphy, he's just got going again, cleared the ball well, made some nice tackles and wen't all day, was just not as prolific as he can be.

Thomas - He's a gun. Love the hardness and intensity and no fumble footy he's playing.

Setterfield - Some might say he had a good game, you look at the stats and it looks alright but it was not alright. Three goals is a good game but it wasn't, it was a stinker. Had the opportunity numerous times to win us the game and just didn't. Missed two shots from right in front and dropped the easiest of chest marks tight in front of goal which would have given us the lead. Played the first half in the midfield and struggled wo apply pressure or win the footy and was just ordinary. Good on him for kicking 3 and getting in the right spot a bit but it was not a good game. Should have kicked 6, I'm glad he kicked 3 but wasted his opportunities and was just so poor prior to that. Hopefully gets better. Keep him forward and hope he can tidy his game up.

Plowman - Fairly ordinary game. Did some poor things kicking the ball and was exposed for pace. Can defend alright but is a plodder. Good with the right matchup and he struggled for one.

Simpson - Tried hard but it starting to slow down a bit, still competed well and was alright in the end.

Casboult - Got out marked a couple of times but he kept presenting and putting himself in the right place and gave us a chop out in the ruck. He gave plenty to the team, just like him there and like his effort.

Lang - Did some nice things at times and ran to the right spots but didn't use the ball well and spent a lot of the game missing.

Kennedy - Really liking the footy he is playing. He's giving us a hard hitting ball winner up forward and he's got a nice long boot on him. He's playing some really hard footy and I love it. Getting to the right place, hitting the game hard and he had a few shots on goal plus a few nice kicks going in.

Fisher - Spent the first half of the game missing. Played midfield in the second half and was pretty good but needs to keep himself involved. Needs to add a physical side to his game and some hardness if he's going to go any further in this game. Little blokes who are good like him are really good at getting free kicks for high tackles and there's a reason why he isn't, doesn't go in hard and this is why he's been shifted off the ball by Teague.

SPS - Really disappointed with the footy he's playing. He's playing soft non-contact football. Just runs around getting easy uncontested kicks and won't go in when it's his turn to put the body on the line and go hard. Gets his 15-20 touches per game but there is a missing the 5-10 touches where he's not going hard at the contested ball. It's all well and good to run around and receive and gather lose balls and I like his disposal but he spent a lot of this game missing when it was tough and the heat was on. Same as Fisher, little blokes like him are usually good at getting free kicks for high tackles but he doesn't go hard and this is why Teague isn't playing him on the ball.

Gibbons - Does some ok things but he can't kick. He's just an ordinary player but he tries and he has a go and he's kicking a goal a game now and that is how he's hanging on in the side.

O'Brien - Missing for most of the game, a few touches late but he was uninvolved and I feel his opponent might have got a bit lose. Couldn't back up last weeks more prolific game.

Dow - Played mostly forward, struggled to get the footy, did some alright things, missed a pass by foot early in the game. Was lazy and in first gear when applying pressure as he always is. Just a really unimpressive footballer for mine and I know he's young but that is the reality of it. Should not be playing senior football.

Weitering - Was a quiet game from him before getting injured late in the game but I feel his injury restructured us and we looked better not being so tall.

McGovern - This guy can't get a kick. Doesn't look like he can run and get separation or doesn't know where to run too. He's another who should not be in the side. Looking like a wasted and pointless trade at this stage.

Jones - Early on he was shocking, getting a bath from everyone. Missed spoils, looked uncoordinated and just looked right out of place playing up the ground. Came good later in the game but it was a very very poor game from him.

You look at that team and there's just too many players who aren't up to it or don't play hard enough and it's our top few who carry the team every week. Our fitness also looks good, great we can come home strong but our starts are either a lack of effort or a lack of quality over the team as a whole. Hopefully we get some players back and can push a few back to the reserves.
SPS - "He's playing soft non-contact football." And yet he is averaging 4.7 tackles a game this yer and 42% of his possessions are contested.

On Fisher - Toby McLean is a little bloke who gets a lot of high contact free kicks, but it isn't because he goes in hard, it is because he drops his knees looking for a free every time he goes near a contest. I would prefer to have Fisher who is always looking at making space and finding a team mate than McLean who is simply happy to take the tackle and hope for a free kick.

So you're accusing the umpires of cheating?
Nope. Not at all. Just a statement of fact that you and Thy can’t get your head around. The umpiring hurt us in the first three quarters. So did our s**t skills. One fact doesn’t invalidate the other. Both contributed to our 3/4 time deficit. Certainly our skills contributed more. As did Jones inexplicable decision making. But the umpiring hurt us. Period. Moving on from that now. It’s a no win topic with a few here.

Some posters have suggested that statistically his pressure acts numbers are solid. My issue with Dow is that he has a change of gear offensively where he will burst through a stoppage, but when chasing a bloke he never reaches that same gear. That is a mentality issue for me, why is the defensive side worth less energy expenditure? Also a fitness issue, he doesn't trust himself to get through a game without saving himself? Possibly.
1000 percent this. I’ve been a broken record about it I know. He doesn’t value chasing. Or if he does it certainly doesn’t show. He stays in second gear defensively. We can’t just casually dismiss it as fitness. If it was fitness you’d see him sprint defensively 4-5 times and offensively 4-5 times. Instead we literally NEVeR see him sprint defensively. But we do see him sprint offensively. Eg sps. He sprints both ways equally. Loving his effort at the moment. Not Dow. Its NOT fitness. Fitness would increase the total number of efforts. Not the ‘distribution’ of those efforts. Which at the moment are all one way.

SPS - "He's playing soft non-contact football." And yet he is averaging 4.7 tackles a game this yer and 42% of his possessions are contested.

On Fisher - Toby McLean is a little bloke who gets a lot of high contact free kicks, but it isn't because he goes in hard, it is because he drops his knees looking for a free every time he goes near a contest. I would prefer to have Fisher who is always looking at making space and finding a team mate than McLean who is simply happy to take the tackle and hope for a free kick.

FWIW- reckon you might be underselling McLean a little although I agree with Fisher’s approach being preferred.

Dylan Grimes is another he drops the knees to draw cheapies but has mongrel in spades

???? SPS had 13 contested out of his 17? Hardly cruising around. 4th in pressure acts. I think he had a real go.

1000 percent this. I’ve been a broken record about it I know. He doesn’t value chasing. Or if he does it certainly doesn’t show. He stays in second gear defensively. We can’t just casually dismiss it as fitness. If it was fitness you’d see him sprint defensively 4-5 times and offensively 4-5 times. Instead we literally NEVeR see him sprint defensively. But we do see him sprint offensively. Eg sps. He sprints both ways equally. Loving his effort at the moment. Not Dow. Its NOT fitness. Fitness would increase the total number of efforts. Not the ‘distribution’ of those efforts. Which at the moment are all one way.

Yep 👍 pisses me off no end. Seems to make costly errors too.

Ideally Paddy should spend a couple of games in the twos just getting his hands on the ball to lift confidence but also showing some 2 way effort

Kids 19 FFS

Back