Autopsy Rd 16 Blues last quarter comeback ends in heartbreak

Who played well for the Blues against the Dees in Round 16?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW- reckon you might be underselling McLean a little although I agree with Fisher’s approach being preferred.

Dylan Grimes is another he drops the knees to draw cheapies but has mongrel in spades
I might be underselling him but I simply can't stand him. I just have a real issue with player who prefer to deliberately get hit in the head in the hope of getting a free than actually play football.

Nobody does clangers quite like Nic Newman, my word can he butcher it.

funny, to me it looked like he had changed his ball drop. looked to me like he was imitating Suckling. It was horrible.
But I still think he has been our best mature age recruit this year and we should cut him some slack...… and perhaps D. Teague should tell him he IS NOT MAT SUCKLING!!!:(:(

Last edited:
1000 percent this. I’ve been a broken record about it I know. He doesn’t value chasing. Or if he does it certainly doesn’t show. He stays in second gear defensively. We can’t just casually dismiss it as fitness. If it was fitness you’d see him sprint defensively 4-5 times and offensively 4-5 times. Instead we literally NEVeR see him sprint defensively. But we do see him sprint offensively. Eg sps. He sprints both ways equally. Loving his effort at the moment. Not Dow. Its NOT fitness. Fitness would increase the total number of efforts. Not the ‘distribution’ of those efforts. Which at the moment are all one way.
This makes no sense. One explanation would be, the ball goes forward Dow sprints forward, he is then knackered and can't sprint back but when the ball goes forward again he has recovered and can sprint again.
Another explanation would be that he is good over 10-15m but not 30m plus and you need to run further when chasing.
Another explanation is a lack of fitness causes mental fatigue - you need to build a tank to be able to build you concentration levels.

Another general point is; he is a second year player who hasn't had a full preseason - basic logic tells you he won't have an AFL level tank, especially not in the back half of the season when he was asked to do so much i the first half.

He doesn’t chase. He supervises. He has zero defensive intensity. I’m not saying that won’t chnage. I hope it will. It’s just not been there at all and it hurts us.
And the reason for all of that is FITNESS!!

You mention SPS he is not only a year older but has had much better pre-seasons the past 2 years. Dow had the traditional limited first pre-season and then injury ruined most of this one.

Everything he has shown demonstrates he is working extremely hard on his game (going with Cripps to see Diesel, the noticeable improvement in his kicking) the idea he simply doesn't want to defend but still gets picked every week while Jack, Kennedy, O'brien & Setterfield go back to the 2's is laughable.

I reckon it may be accurate for the moment Neese

He's just a kid without the fitness base required. Needs to show 2 way running a nd frankly contribute more to warrant a place in the 22 IMO.
He's 19 and has obvious developmental needs, no one doubts he is committed and has worked on areas identified.

The question is whether his development is better served in the ones or the twos

I reckon it may be accurate for the moment Neese

He's just a kid without the fitness base required. Needs to show 2 way running a nd frankly contribute more to warrant a place in the 22 IMO.
He's 19 and has obvious developmental needs, no one doubts he is committed and has worked on areas identified.

The question is whether his development is better served in the ones or the twos
His development is best served in the ones, after a week or 2 off to get his body right again.

You mention SPS he is not only a year older but has had much better pre-seasons the past 2 years. Dow had the traditional limited first pre-season and then injury ruined most of this one.

Everything he has shown demonstrates he is working extremely hard on his game (going with Cripps to see Diesel, the noticeable improvement in his kicking) the idea he simply doesn't want to defend but still gets picked every week while Jack, Kennedy, O'brien & Setterfield go back to the 2's is laughable.
It’s not true that injury ruined most of this preseason. I went to a lot of sessions. He barely missed any. Had a slight problem. Scream louder, doesn’t bother me. He doesn’t chase. The end.

It’s not true that injury ruined most of this preseason. I went to a lot of sessions. He barely missed any. Had a slight problem. Scream louder, doesn’t bother me. He doesn’t chase. The end.
there's no way to know one way or an other. I'm giving dow the benefit of the doubt to say that it is his fitness that's the problem because his second and third chases are noticeably terrible and i can't see how he could not have been dropped if it was just purely a effort issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His development is best served in the ones, after a week or 2 off to get his body right again.

Not sure. Mostly Seniors but is it worth him going back to the 2's for a week or so and playing as a pure mid with the goal or working hard both ways?

Walsh has improved even further since going into the middle. I struggle a bit with Dow as a pure forward

The discussion covers my thoughts on the game pretty well but I have an observation I'd like to make.
I don't think we have an adequate midfield/defensive strategy to nullify the quarterback.
Often Melbourne had Jones coming off half back to take possession from his midfield and provide the set up kick for their forward movement. He didnt ever have a defender near him and had plenty of time to survey his options.
It annoyed me immensely as we let Caleb Daniel's do exactly the same thing in our loss to the Bulldogs.
I reckon a tag on the quarterback at centre clearances would help us significantly.
Just a thought.
CB

He probably shouldn't be playing then. Put him on ice for the rest of the year, tell him to take a holiday and set up a mattress in the weights room in the off-season. He looks tired, skinny and short.

Just watched the full game as i only caught snippets here and there whilst sitting in the display home yesterday. Knowing the result allowed me to have a more relaxed and analytical view. I wont bore anyone with BS like umpiring and player assessment's etc. Just consider No Crips, no Doc, Cunningham, Charlie and again we came back fro 38 points down late in the 3rd with skill errors galore..

Cooler more experienced heads in the last 2 minutes would have iced the clock. Regardless, ladies and gentlemen, with a full Russel supervised preseason, a couple of decent recruits and natural maturity We are final 8 bound in 2020. Take it to the Bank. Heart and character wins game. And these kids have it in abundance. Give them time.

I am pumped!!!

Pretty hard to get anything done offesively when 4 of our 6 defenders are all bad kicks and turning it over consistently. weiters is a good kick and simmo is ok but not elite. they others would be considered poor
how many turnovers did newmand and plowman have in the first qtr?
Plowman is pathetic by foot. Having good skills isnt just about the physical execution of the skill but also the mental ability to make the correct decision.. maybe he has a role as a lock down defender but we need to get some class around him (doc, willo, stocker & SPS) and have designated kickers

Attending and training at top intensity are 2 different things. Most players are at most training sessions, what they do varies greatly.

The fact you think having basic logic pointed out is screaming at you is as hillarious as the fact you think the outcome ("he doesn't chase") is what is being discussed here.

He probably shouldn't be playing then. Put him on ice for the rest of the year, tell him to take a holiday and set up a mattress in the weights room in the off-season. He looks tired, skinny and short.
Rest of the year is a bit much but I am happy for him to have a rest for a couple of weeks.

Not sure. Mostly Seniors but is it worth him going back to the 2's for a week or so and playing as a pure mid with the goal or working hard both ways?

Walsh has improved even further since going into the middle. I struggle a bit with Dow as a pure forward
Last 3 weeks 14 Score Involvements, 3 goal assists and 3 goals is a handy enough return while he learns a craft that will come in handy in a deep midfield in years to come.

I love his strong hands in the marking contest as well.

He doesn’t chase. He supervises. He has zero defensive intensity. I’m not saying that won’t chnage. I hope it will. It’s just not been there at all and it hurts us.
I'm a massive fan of Dow but i totally agree with you on this very part of his game his chasing efforts from start to finish is very ordinary even taking into account his poor preseason due to injury...

Back