Autopsy Rd 16 Blues last quarter comeback ends in heartbreak

Who played well for the Blues against the Dees in Round 16?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Called out both Dow and MM kicks as being poor. Yes, Dow did kick a nice set shot. Setters was a bad miss in terms of a chest mark, but he is building

Might seem harsh on Dow, but it wasn't a difficult kick from any player being that clear.

I think they either have to play him as a very deep forward pocket with some time on the ball, or back around the contest
Sigh, I didn't say you didn't call out both, just that I couldn't believe that Dow got his and McGovern missed.

I did say that I found it harsh you called out Dow for missing McGovern but ignored him hitting Gibbons with a much harder kick.

To me his kicking is improving (many have mentioned his change in style) and I think we should back that improvement to continue and get him in position to keep attempting those kicks rather than hide him away.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Sigh, I didn't say you didn't call out both, just that I couldn't believe that Dow got his and McGovern missed.

I did say that I found it harsh you called out Dow for missing McGovern but ignored him hitting Gibbons with a much harder kick.

To me his kicking is improving (many have mentioned his change in style) and I think we should back that improvement to continue and get him in position to keep attempting those kicks rather than hide him away.

It is improving but I still believe it was a kick he should of made. IMHO, the kick to Gibbons was easier and he hit the target, so why would I highlight players doing the basics well.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Arrow, the stat was that 11 of their 15 goals had a free kick in the scoring chain, ie came from free kicks, not that the 11 shots were free kicks.

For example in the 3rd quarter, in the middle but forward of centre for us Petracca (I think) was tackled and dropped the ball, a blatant free kick to us. Instead the umpire paid him holding the man. The ball went straight into their forwardline for a goal.

That’s not to say they were all wrong, but there were 3 shockers in the 3rd quarter which had a huge influence on the result of the game.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
It is improving but I still believe it was a kick he should of made. IMHO, the kick to Gibbons was easier and he hit the target, so why would I highlight players doing the basics well.
Because you are potting him for doing the basics poorly.

No one is arguing he shouldn't have made the McGovern kick, I am simply observing it is harsh to focus solely on his mistake when he also later did the skill well (as well as slotting a key goal).

As for Gibbons kick being easier, you can think that but the margin for error was very small given the boundary line.

Anyway, no doubt you will misinterpret this comment as well in order to create an argument so I will move on.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Arrow, the stat was that 11 of their 15 goals had a free kick in the scoring chain, ie came from free kicks, not that the 11 shots were free kicks.

For example in the 3rd quarter, in the middle but forward of centre for us Petracca (I think) was tackled and dropped the ball, a blatant free kick to us. Instead the umpire paid him holding the man. The ball went straight into their forwardline for a goal.

That’s not to say they were all wrong, but there were 3 shockers in the 3rd quarter which had a huge influence on the result of the game.
The third quarter did seem to have some crucial mistakes, by us and the umps that resulted in goals to the dee's just when we seemed to be getting some momentum but the first 4 goals of the game came directly from our turnovers (most under minimal pressure) which had a much bigger impact. We need to focus on what we can control.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Because you are potting him for doing the basics poorly.

No one is arguing he shouldn't have made the McGovern kick, I am simply observing it is harsh to focus solely on his mistake when he also later did the skill well (as well as slotting a key goal).

As for Gibbons kick being easier, you can think that but the margin for error was very small given the boundary line.

Anyway, no doubt you will misinterpret this comment as well in order to create an argument so I will move on.

No argument from my end, we have differing opinion, which is fine

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Re-watched the game

1st Qtr - Our hands, disposal by hand and foot was putrid. Dow in the open kicking to a leading McGovern was poor, ball slingshots to the other end an Demons convert. If he is to remain in the side it can't be as a high HF, a deep leading pocket player would suit better. Walsh's attack on the ball was beyond his years. Levi's kicking has continued to improve.McGovern from 20 metres out, needs to convert from those shots. Umpires did not directly contribute to any of the Demon's 4 goals

2nd Qtr - Again our decision making and disposal was poor, many times when players were out, we couldn't hit them. Levi's continued to be good by foot, Jack was also clean again and our best player for the half, followed by Weitering how controlled the aerial contests. Again, Umpires did not directly contribute to any of the Demon's 3 goals

Not sure how we were so close at half time, our workrate to run defensively was poor, amazingly Demons outnumbered us in the forward half when they spread

3rd Qtr - Awareness and composure was again poor, panicking around stoppages with one handball then a kick rather than releasing the ball through a series of handballs, again this stems from players not being on the move to get in the clear for the next handball receive. Levi again kicking straight. Who would have thought we would be calling for 2 Jack's, one forward and one on the ball. Setterfield is starting to move more freely, especially sideways, his kicking will start to improve dramatically. Of the 7 goals Demons kicked only 1 was directly from an umpire decision to McDonald when Jones planted his foot in his lower back in a marking contest, but failed to touch the ball, free kick was accurate

4th Qtr - All of a sudden we are a different side. Now 2 or more handballs from congestion to a player on the outer, kicking with more penetration to leading targets, 2 way running, spread and turning around a 38 point deficit to hit the lead. Then when the game is there to be won, needing composure in pressure moments, we cough the ball up. Walsh shoots a ball out by hand back into play that hits no one, while SPS was clean hiting Newman, he too fumbles, SPS again and hits Simmo by hand who stupidly tries to hit a short target inside rather than either releasing to the outside by hand or foot. The rest is history, even though McGovern could have squared the scores with a freak attempt

This game was lost in the first 3 quarters, poor intent and attack on the ball and player, apart from players such as Kruezer, SPS, Jack, Weitering and the best of them in Walsh. Our 2 way running, especially defensively cost us. What was also glaring is how many times we were pushed off the ball, or not able to stick tackles. All this could be attributed to most of our younger players needing another preseason.

Jack was clearly our best, when many around him fumbled or lacked composure, Jack seemed to buck that trend.

Kruezer while not outstanding was vital. SPS worked his way back into the game and guys like Kennedy, Setterfield are building nicely. Levi stays on the list, even as a mere backup for injury next year and get rid of Lobbe and Phillips, target a 23-26 year old ruck/forward. Newman is a good kick, but he is biting off too much in critical periods. Dow either plays as a hard leading forward pocket if he is to remain forward, rather than a high HF. Perhaps needs to spend some time each quarter back on the ball.

As for the umpires, not sure what game many of you were watching, even people stating that Demons kicked 12 goals from there 15. I only counted 1 to McDonald and IMHO it was a correct call.
You’ve just completely made up your umpire comments.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
You’ve just completely made up your umpire comments.

Go watch the game again. One free kick to McDonald, his 1st goal of the second half, which was there from a contest with Jones.

No other frees to the Demons that was a direct shot on goal

Us on the other hand, at least 3 free kicks, with a direct shot on goal

The melts regarding the umpiring were completely unjustified

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Go watch the game again. One free kick to McDonald, his 1st goal of the second half, which was there from a contest with Jones.

No other frees to the Demons that was a direct shot on goal

Us on the other hand, at least 3 free kicks, with a direct shot on goal

The melts regarding the umpiring were completely unjustified
I’ve watched it twice. Your summary is rubbish.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Q1: free kicks against SPS and Ed Curnow complete rubbish. Part of continuing field position advantage to them. Salem 50 bullshit. Plowman spoil was fine against Brayshaw bullshit free. Free against Weiters to Weidemna a joke. Free against SPS again rubbish. Free against Gibbons rubbish.

That’s Q1. We played rubbish but it wasn’t helped by continual crap umpiring that reinforced their field position advantage way more so than it should have done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
So can’t find an argument with me you can win? You said the umpiring was fine. I said you made it up. I’ve re-watched one quarter. Just to humour you. The umpring was rubbish. Not cheating. Just crap. I had already rewatched the whole game. And posted on that previously. If you don’t understand footy well enough to realise what field position and repeat entries does to probability of scoring then that’s your issue.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
So can’t find an argument with me you can win? You said the umpiring was fine. I said you made it up. I’ve re-watched one quarter. Just to humour you. The umpring was rubbish. Not cheating. Just crap. I had already rewatched the whole game. And posted on that previously. If you don’t understand footy well enough to realise what field position and repeat entries does to probability of scoring then that’s your issue.

Re-read my post, 1 out of 15 goals, from a direct free kick, which was accurate. As for around the ground free kicks, they were a 2 way streak.

Stop sooking, we lost due to our poor disposal and decision making for most of the game, not umpire decisions

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
So can't find a free kick that resulted on a direct shot on goal?

It’s not just direct shots on goal. It’s the terrible frees that lead to those shots. Like the example I already gave, holding the ball against Petracca (I think) in the 3rd, instead paid holding the man. So instead of us kicking inside 50, they’re kicking into an open forwardline for a goal.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Re-read my post, 1 out of 15 goals, from a direct free kick, which was accurate. As for around the ground free kicks, they were a 2 way streak.

Stop sooking, we lost due to our poor disposal and decision making for most of the game, not umpire decisions
I re read your post. You said that. And you also said the umpiring comments were rubbish. Just because YOuR poor analysis says that poor umpring can only be ‘direct shots on goal’ doesn’t make you right. Just because you’re corrected on your poor analysis by people like me doesn’t mean we are sooking.

I can do this all week tiger. You game?

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s not just direct shots on goal. It’s the terrible frees that lead to those shots. Like the example I already gave, holding the ball against Petracca (I think) in the 3rd, instead paid holding the man. So instead of us kicking inside 50, they’re kicking into an open forwardline for a goal.

Was it the umpires fault that their forwards were free and our backman had poor position? What would have happened if he broke the tackle and moved the ball quicker, than having to regather the ball after the free kick, which gave our backman even more time to gain a better position?

Stop blaming the umpires

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I re read your post. You said that. And you also said the umpiring comments were rubbish. Just because YOuR poor analysis says that poor umpring can only be ‘direct shots on goal’ doesn’t make you right. Just because you’re corrected on your poor analysis by people like me doesn’t mean we are sooking.

I can do this all week tiger. You game?

So can i sport, so did we have any favourable free kicks, that resulted in direct shots on goal and or forward 50 entries?

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Was it the umpires fault that their forwards were free and our backman had poor position? What would have happened if he broke the tackle and moved the ball quicker, than having to regather the ball after the free kick, which gave our backman even more time to gain a better position?

Stop blaming the umpires
Are you really that analytically inept? Let me ask you this, if a person is extremely overweight and it’s MOSTlY due to their eating, but they ALSO don’t exercise, do you think the lack of exercising plays a role? It IS actually possible we played very poorly AND the umpires didn’t help. It is possible MOST of the reason we lost is that we played poorly. Which we all agree with. BUT for a lot of the first three quarters we did not get the run of a lot of 50/50 frees which hurt our field position and momentum. And that made us further behind than we ought to have been.Just because YOU don’t get that or don’t agree with that doesn’t make you right.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Are you really that analytically inept? Let me ask you this, if a person is extremely overweight and it’s MOSTlY due to their eating, but they ALSO don’t exercise, do you think the lack of exercising plays a role? It IS actually possible we played very poorly AND the umpires didn’t help. It is possible MOST of the reason we lost is that we played poorly. Which we all agree with. BUT for a lot of the first three quarters we did not get the run of a lot of 50/50 frees which hurt our field position and momentum. And that made us further behind than we ought to have been.Just because YOU don’t get that or don’t agree with that doesn’t make you right.

So rather than answering the question you choose to deflect and now continue to play the man? But happy to entertain you. How about you stick to the facts rather than your frustrated opinion, due to the loss of the game.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
So can i sport, so did we have any favourable free kicks, that resulted in direct shots on goal and or forward 50 entries?
Oh God you thought I was serious.. Dear oh dear arrow. I’d rather pull nails out of my feet than talk footy with you. Have a good one!

Back