Autopsy Rd 16 Blues lose a harsh one by 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the replay very closely late into the last quarter, Sheahan under pressure, handballed directly to a Melbourne player, who in turn handballed to Melksham, who kicked the goal to put Melbourne in front. And we never recovered from there. Sheahan has to be better than that. :(
Fair point and both very disappointing but Sheahan in a contested situation the bloke has played under 10 games, daisy had more time and space then try's to handball over the top of 2 Melbourne players, with 200 games experience, I expect more

Fair point and both very disappointing but Sheahan in a contested situation the bloke has played under 10 games, daisy had more time and space then try's to handball over the top of 2 Melbourne players, with 200 games experience, I expect more

What was interesting about Sheehan is that his AFL footballing instinct when under extreme pressure was to handball anywhere at all costs when about to be caught holding the ball - including forward of the play. Over recent times you can see pretty much all AFL class footballers when under extreme pressure handball backwards knowing there is more chance than not that their teammates are on the defensive side of the stoppage.

That play showed Sheehan doesn't have that instinct in that moment. If he did it again in the coming weeks then I dont think he makes it at AFL level. So harsh but it's an important aspect of the contest and AFL level footy. Doch, simpson etc all look to move the ball behind if under the cosh...Sheehan showed an aspect there that is well short of what we are looking for.

Watched the replay very closely late into the last quarter, Sheahan under pressure, handballed directly to a Melbourne player, who in turn handballed to Melksham, who kicked the goal to put Melbourne in front. And we never recovered from there. Sheahan has to be better than that. :(
Fair suck of the sav Burger, he's not an AFL experienced defender. I'd like to know where our other defenders were and why there wasn't someone there supporting Sheehan to receive the handball and provide an outlet.

Fair suck of the sav Burger, he's not an AFL experienced defender. I'd like to know where our other defenders were and why there wasn't someone there supporting Sheehan to receive the handball and provide an outlet.
I think they were passed out, exhausted further up the ground. I've posted it earlier. Gus should have held onto the ball. A free kick was a better option.

What was interesting about Sheehan is that his AFL footballing instinct when under extreme pressure was to handball anywhere at all costs when about to be caught holding the ball - including forward of the play. Over recent times you can see pretty much all AFL class footballers when under extreme pressure handball backwards knowing there is more chance than not that their teammates are on the defensive side of the stoppage.

That play showed Sheehan doesn't have that instinct in that moment. If he did it again in the coming weeks then I dont think he makes it at AFL level. So harsh but it's an important aspect of the contest and AFL level footy. Doch, simpson etc all look to move the ball behind if under the cosh...Sheehan showed an aspect there that is well short of what we are looking for.
Sheehan playing his 8 th game of AFL had 12 months out injured 2nd game back at the level, I think he should be given a bit of leeway but at the end of the day you might be right. Be interesting to see if he holds his spot this week.

Just watched some highlights and the most disappointing play of the day for me was Daisy's trying to handball to Simpson in the final 2 min of the game, absolutely no composure from a veteran at that stage in the game.
Yeah could of just kicked it around his body 40 metres and give us the run of the ball, I can think of about 5 things Daisy done that cost us and I haven't even watched most of the first half yet,,,,

Sheehan hasn't had a lot of luck but at the end of the day time has run out. 27 at years end and he doesn't have a feel for the games instincs. Some people have it (like Casey) and some don't. It's just the way it goes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sorry to intrude once more guys, but why did Sheehan get a game ahead of Byrne? Thought they were very similar players?

One decision which was a double edged sword was our kick out of full back (last quarter?), a Melbourne player jumped on the back of one of our boys (Plowman?) to mark but did not make contact with the ball, the ball then rolled out of bounds. As no one had touched the ball from the kick out, a free kick was awarded to Melbourne.
Thought that was quite amusing as the boundary ump has indicated the ball was not touched but the field umpire, all 3 of them would not rule the interference from the Melbourne playing jumping on Plowmans back. (Unrealistic attempt to mark- I think they call it)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones was basically out the door never to return as a fwd, may as well try something. Weitering was a gun back in his first year and is now half the player he was last year, don't think the fwd/back swapping is helping him and was no need for it. Two pretty different scenarios (hopefully works out in the long run)
Weitering was a great forward in his junior years...this theory of yours still doesn't add up for me.

One decision which was a double edged sword was our kick out of full back (last quarter?), a Melbourne player jumped on the back of one of our boys (Plowman?) to mark but did not make contact with the ball, the ball then rolled out of bounds. As no one had touched the ball from the kick out, a free kick was awarded to Melbourne.
Thought that was quite amusing as the boundary ump has indicated the ball was not touched but the field umpire, all 3 of them would not rule the interference from the Melbourne playing jumping on Plowmans back. (Unrealistic attempt to mark- I think they call it)

Melbourne player had a good chuckle about it too, and seemed to say "bad luck" to Plowman when the free was paid to Melbourne.

On balance, I think the game was under-officiated if anything, with quite a few potential and probable frees not paid to both sides. We had enough opportunity to ice this one that a few missed calls can't really be blamed - if we were good enough (and if we hadn't been belted with the injury stick) this one was ours to win, and we've only ourselves to blame.

What I like seeing though, is how much our boys hurt after these close losses. Melbourne at their lowest point, Brisbane in recent years, Gold Coast every second week, the impression is that the players are resigned to the loss post-game. Bolts seems to be developing a group of players who hate losing, so these close ones will be channelled into faster and better development in the immediate future.

Melbourne player had a good chuckle about it too, and seemed to say "bad luck" to Plowman when the free was paid to Melbourne.

On balance, I think the game was under-officiated if anything, with quite a few potential and probable frees not paid to both sides. We had enough opportunity to ice this one that a few missed calls can't really be blamed - if we were good enough (and if we hadn't been belted with the injury stick) this one was ours to win, and we've only ourselves to blame.

What I like seeing though, is how much our boys hurt after these close losses. Melbourne at their lowest point, Brisbane in recent years, Gold Coast every second week, the impression is that the players are resigned to the loss post-game. Bolts seems to be developing a group of players who hate losing, so these close ones will be channelled into faster and better development in the immediate future.

I try not to get into blaming umpires for a loss as it cuts both ways and I feel the AFL are doing very little to help them by changing rules and changing interpretations of the rules from season to season as well as during the season.
Just felt that the incident I described above was quite funny as it was a ruling over sight leading to a free the opposite way. So maybe the field umpire thought the Melb player on Plowmans back did touch the ball so allowed the contest but then the ball goes out of bounds and the boundary umpire awards a free because no one has touched the ball.

hey guys. Correct me if I'm wrong, but have I missed the link to the Carlton only Highlights?
if they are there can someone send me the link. thanks in advance.

Callum chambers used to run a lot, doesn't mean you are a good footballer
Would definitely take Kerridge over Chambers. Big bodied midfielder, who can do a run with role & as evidenced by his efforts in the last quarter on Sunday, can play some very good football (how good was his one handed pick up during a period of play where the pace was frenetic & sure hands were the exception rather than the rule?)

Well said! He'll learn (has learned) under extreme pressure to make the percentage play - he didn't, they ultimately goaled! He'll review his mistakes with the line coach and learn from that - think he's 26-27 years old now, but still very inexperienced as an AFL player. He has been very rusty these last two games but needs one more run in the seniors before we make a judgement on him. He's a strong body and a great kick - reckon he'll be a lot more assured when we get ASOS back there to direct the defence! I really like what ASOS brings to the team beyond the stats!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back