Autopsy Rd 16 Blues pull off comeback victory from 7 goals down

Who played well in Round 16 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

fnm_just a man

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Was a fun win.

Sam Walsh is incredible. So much so, that he may actually be capable of transforming the mentality of the entire team.

The other worth mentioning in that regard is Newnes. He is prone to the odd howler, but I think he actually has that self-belief that the team (aside from 1 or 2) lacks, so brings an important quality to the team. He's an odd one in that way. But for that reason alone, I think he is best 22.

Gov is disappointing. I was super excited to get him (before there was even any talk of it, I had said to my mates 'how awesome would it be to add Gov to our forward line?!'). In his defence, the Curnow/Harry/Gov forward line has only played together in 6 or 7 games, so we really have no idea yet how it's going to function - especially when you consider a few of those games would have been players getting injured/returning from injury. The main concern, and something I wasn't aware of in his Adelaide days, is the avoiding of physical contact. Perhaps it's developed at Carlton? Definitely not against the idea of trying him in defence for a while to try and build some confidence. Between H and Gov there is a serious lack of physical presence up forward.

I'm a massive Cunners fan and even though he doesn't get the ball a whole lot, I still think we're a better team with him out there. He has qualities that the team lacks. I think the team needs to learn to utilise him more as well. I reckon he has Danger-like power, very clean hands and a great kick. Has to be one of our biggest introverts and/or most shy players since Doull.

Setters continues to perform. Started clean, finished clean - bit of rough patch in the middle. Was good to see him stand strong in the marking contest with Blakey bearing down on him. Could explode next year.

Was great to see TDK clunk the pack mark in the last qtr. Looking great and seems to have belief.

I liked what I heard from Cripps post-game, with the drive to win still strong.

Ultimately, not a whole lot to take out of it in terms of where we're at. It comes on the back of 2 very disappointing losses that continued our long trend of losing matches when there is something on the line. Still, a fun win is a lot better than a loss!

Graffy4242

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I watched the replay again tonight and I was absolutely blown away by Plowman’s game. When the ball came into defence he was EVERYWHERE!!

Tackling, marking, spoiling, out-running his opponent, kicking and handballing to advantage ……………he literally did EVERYTHING you wanted and needed a defender to do.

Massive kudos to someone who is, unfairly, a perennial whipping boy on this board.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
I watched the replay again tonight and I was absolutely blown away by Plowman’s game. When the ball came into defence he was EVERYWHERE!!

Tackling, marking, spoiling, out-running his opponent, kicking and handballing to advantage ……………he literally did EVERYTHING you wanted and needed a defender to do.

Massive kudos to someone who is, unfairly, a perennial whipping boy on this board.

I heard that his Uncle, I think, passed away the same day as the match too. Amazing performance from him.

Aug 17, 2016
GOLD COAST
AFL Club
Carlton
I heard that his Uncle, I think, passed away the same day as the match too. Amazing performance from him.
Whipping boy...haha
Was at game
Plowman had a good game...he mainly picked up Papley after first quarter .He covered the ground well (balanced and quick)and was clean/efficient
Typical Plowman game.......good
Carlton have improved a lot in the past year...Swans young small bodied team had a red Hot crack...it was no gimme
I was amazed at some of our ball movement ..was elite quick and clean at various stages
This a good group...probably up to the coaches if they can fine tune them
Really enjoyed this game👍

Last edited:
Just hitting that spot right now :D Nice controlled tempo football. Picking the targets with deliberation and then putting the ball into the danger spot!

I feel at times are too slow with moving the footy, allowing the opposition to get back and get numbers behind the ball. We need to develop gears, which will no doubt help us improve in 2021.

That is a fair point just not getting too high beating the 15th side. When we win a crunch game that propels us into the finals-I will be the first to say we are on the move. Maybe that will be the Brisbane game

I'd like to think we'll throw everything we have at the Lions. And then some more.
No Andrews hurts them badly with the forwards we have, and if Ed can do a reasonable job on Neale then I think we could be in for tight contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton

poty

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Walsh is just amazing.
Serious question - as it stands right now would you prefer to have Walsh or Smith?

Walsh in a canter.

Love the way Smith goes about his game, but while his preparation and workrate is elite I don't think he necessarily instills that in others. Not a selfish player, as such, but a professional athlete rather than a leader.

Walsh, on the other hand, seems to be the type that pushes his teammates to improve as well as setting incredibly high standards for himself (and meeting them).

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Was everyone else also getting annoyed at Dunstal's repeated confusion as to why Harry always plays on.
Clearly he gets the yips, if he takes too long or thinks about taking a set shot, so goes by natural instinct.
I would have thought blind Freddie could work that one out.

I was confused by his insistence that Fisher has finally found his role as a small forward, after starting his career as a defender who struggled due to poor disposal...

I don't even know who he was getting Fisher mixed up with. Presumably he just invented a back story.

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
I have been asked by ODN to track our whipping boy Mitch McGovern. Here are my observations:

In the first half he seemed to be under instructions to keep clear of McKay and/or Casboult and whether it was instructions or not but as the ball was coming into the forward line he seemed to retreat back to the goal square a lot (e.g Josh Jenkins) which effectively meant he was running away from the ball.

When he did lead or try and make the play he was no doubt a victim of our poor delivery into the forward.

For example his first quarter read like this

• Lead to the pocket and ball delivered over head and outbodied and outmarked by Melican
  • Cunningham fast break under pressure. MCG lead to Cunningham’s left – Cunningham ignored Gov and kicked to CHF to pack of Swans players.
  • Fast break through centre from Murphy who kicked to CHF. I think McGovern may have lead initially but then retreated back and ball went to straight to Swans. MCG needed to lead harder and commit to the lead but tried to wait for the ball to come over the back.
  • Lead to the pocket to Caz but ball kicked to his feet , Mcg fumble and cleared by Melican.
In the 2nd half the instructions seemed to change and he was playing up the ground more and at least we presenting but ball delivery was still poor and the ball was slippery.

Summary –

In fairness it was a terrible night to be a forward – particularly a third tall given the slippery conditions, the Swans flood and our terrible ball delivery and strategies going into the forward line. This really needs sorting out – it’s poor.

Having Harry, Caz and MCG basically trying to play the same role isn’t working. Harry or Caz are more demanding of the ball and I think McGov is just second guessing himself and trying to not get in the way. He’s a player who needs to get a good run at the ball but at the moment he is just stopping and starting and not sure where to run. Doesn’t help when our ball movement is slow and Swans could flood back. Regularly looked like 10-12 players at the fall of the ball in the hot spot so bigger bodied Harry or Caz more likely to hold ground and mark or it just gets spoiled.

Whilst he didn’t set the world on fire he looked much more dangerous running more freely up the ground in the second half.

Some more negative points – he didn’t hold his ground well against Melican and was outbodied several times. He has very little second efforts but seemed to openly try to do better at this in the second half. Personally, I think he would do well playing up high half forward/wing and being a target for us down the line or when coming of the half back line. He has the creativity to do this.

Playing his type of role you are going to get nights like that where you basically don’t get a look at the ball but in that case he needs to get some more strings to his bow, get fitter and work harder to tackle and create more pressure – in the words of John Kennedy “at least do something !!”.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Unfortunately, if Teague doesn't start pushing him up around the pill more, we might not see enough of it

Cuners has all the tools to rip a game apart, but really is lost as a HF

Get him round the pill

Would also like to see him tackle with his body more so than his arms.

That probably holds true for most of our team, to be honest. Lots of corralling and throwing a lazy arm out in the hopes we can get a fistful of jumper.

Jack Martin is one of the few who seems to ignore whatever games his opponent is trying to play and just drive straight for their center of gravity.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

So much love for Plow! :thumbsu:

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
I have been asked by ODN to track our whipping boy Mitch McGovern. Here are my observations:

In the first half he seemed to be under instructions to keep clear of McKay and/or Casboult and whether it was instructions or not but as the ball was coming into the forward line he seemed to retreat back to the goal square a lot (e.g Josh Jenkins) which effectively meant he was running away from the ball.

When he did lead or try and make the play he was no doubt a victim of our poor delivery into the forward.

For example his first quarter read like this

• Lead to the pocket and ball delivered over head and outbodied and outmarked by Melican
  • Cunningham fast break under pressure. MCG lead to Cunningham’s left – Cunningham ignored Gov and kicked to CHF to pack of Swans players.
  • Fast break through centre from Murphy who kicked to CHF. I think McGovern may have lead initially but then retreated back and ball went to straight to Swans. MCG needed to lead harder and commit to the lead but tried to wait for the ball to come over the back.
  • Lead to the pocket to Caz but ball kicked to his feet , Mcg fumble and cleared by Melican.
In the 2nd half the instructions seemed to change and he was playing up the ground more and at least we presenting but ball delivery was still poor and the ball was slippery.

Summary –

In fairness it was a terrible night to be a forward – particularly a third tall given the slippery conditions, the Swans flood and our terrible ball delivery and strategies going into the forward line. This really needs sorting out – it’s poor.

Having Harry, Caz and MCG basically trying to play the same role isn’t working. Harry or Caz are more demanding of the ball and I think McGov is just second guessing himself and trying to not get in the way. He’s a player who needs to get a good run at the ball but at the moment he is just stopping and starting and not sure where to run. Doesn’t help when our ball movement is slow and Swans could flood back. Regularly looked like 10-12 players at the fall of the ball in the hot spot so bigger bodied Harry or Caz more likely to hold ground and mark or it just gets spoiled.

Whilst he didn’t set the world on fire he looked much more dangerous running more freely up the ground in the second half.

Some more negative points – he didn’t hold his ground well against Melican and was outbodied several times. He has very little second efforts but seemed to openly try to do better at this in the second half. Personally, I think he would do well playing up high half forward/wing and being a target for us down the line or when coming of the half back line. He has the creativity to do this.

Playing his type of role you are going to get nights like that where you basically don’t get a look at the ball but in that case he needs to get some more strings to his bow, get fitter and work harder to tackle and create more pressure – in the words of John Kennedy “at least do something !!”.
The Old Dark Navy's, can we please make this a weekly thing if people are willing? This type of insight is amazing given how specific it is to players, and even more so that most of us can't attend games this year.

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Unfortunately, if Teague doesn't start pushing him up around the pill more, we might not see enough of it

Cuners has all the tools to rip a game apart, but really is lost as a HF

Get him round the pill

I'd love to see Walsh/Martin/Cunners used in the middle more to support Cripps/Setters/Curnow...I think it gives our midfield a really good balance.

Diesel was right about Dow...just doesn't impact contests/games enough. Still have hopes for him but for the near future I don't see him in our best 22 and would prefer we use the above through the middle. Dow had zero impact in his 2 games, while Walsh gets more mid time and was everywhere and BOG.

Back