Autopsy Rd 16 Blues pull off comeback victory from 7 goals down

Who played well in Round 16 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Old Dark Navy's, can we please make this a weekly thing if people are willing? This type of insight is amazing given how specific it is to players, and even more so that most of us can't attend games this year.

I'd love to keep doing it if people are willing to put their hand up.

Or we can return to our old player buddy days where someone is responsible for updating a player's thread every week or whenever news is published.

I did have someone accuse me of trying to encourage derogatory posting about players by doing this, so wasn't sure how others were perceiving it.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Would it be hyperbole to say Walsh could be in AA squad considerations? His last month has been immense.

Just for the squad of 40.

The only problem with that is everyone in media seems intent on saying he's no good and shouldn't have been pick 1, which is bizarre.

Hope we stick with Walsh getting more true midfield time rather than wing moving forward...he's just such a gun and has such a big impact in there as a box-to-box, two way running mid who gets to so many contests.

Can have the likes of Cottrell/Murphy/Newnes on the wing more.

Walsh is clearly a better complement to Cripps/Setterfield/Curnow than Dow or Kennedy who aren't strong runners.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Hope we stick with Walsh getting more true midfield time rather than wing moving forward...he's just such a gun and has such a big impact in there as a box-to-box, two way running mid who gets to so many contests.

Can have the likes of Cottrell/Murphy/Newnes on the wing more.

Walsh is clearly a better complement to Cripps/Setterfield/Curnow than Dow or Kennedy who aren't strong runners.
Agreed, I said the same thing last week. If you want 2 of Cripps, Setterfield or Curnow on ball you need someone like Fisher or Walsh to complement them, otherwise we're too slow.

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton

Or we can return to our old player buddy days where someone is responsible for updating a player's thread every week or whenever news is published.

I did have someone accuse me of trying to encourage derogatory posting about players by doing this, so wasn't sure how others were perceiving it.
TBH, I saw your original post, and didn't expect people's posts to be so thorough and insightful.
Personally, I'd prefer the posts to be in the post-match autopsy so it's all in one thread.

TBH, I saw your original post, and didn't expect people's posts to be so thorough and insightful.
Personally, I'd prefer the posts to be in the post-match autopsy so it's all in one thread.

Maybe we can post in both so we have a record in the player thread once they retire.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe we can post in both so we have a record in the player thread once they retire.

Might be a bit too much work, I dunno, but I think the tidiest approach would be for the review to be in the player's own thread, and then have a list of links on the top page of the autopsy thread.

Would mean people who want to read them can use the shortcut list to open a bunch of tabs without having to trawl through a 50pg autopsy trying to find them.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

I think it's a great concept

I think it's a great concept

It is a great concept, but maybe hard to get 22 players involved each week.
It's made even harder to understand players' roles and overall value, when we only see 10% of the ground at most times.

Pity we don't have down the ground options to view from. It would make it so much easier. One camera behind each set of goals.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
It is a great concept, but maybe hard to get 22 players involved each week.
It's made even harder to understand players' roles and overall value, when we only see 10% of the ground at most times.

Pity we don't have down the ground options to view from. It would make it so much easier. One camera behind each set of goals.

Strange isn't, they actually have those cameras in place but rarely show it. Would be great to get a split screen view of the game

Clubs have access to it, make it happen for supporters

Walsh in a canter.

Love the way Smith goes about his game, but while his preparation and workrate is elite I don't think he necessarily instills that in others. Not a selfish player, as such, but a professional athlete rather than a leader.

Walsh, on the other hand, seems to be the type that pushes his teammates to improve as well as setting incredibly high standards for himself (and meeting them).

For the record, its Walsh for me as well.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
To be fair, as a 21 year old ruck, he may not have had that performance in him if he had to play on a 4 day break, and then a 5 day break.
Definitely should be our first choice ruck in 2021.
What impressed me the most was his ability to run the game out, got better the longer the game went. I remember the coaches commenting on how hard he worked during the Covid break to try and get ready to perform, shame he got that injury just after or we may have seen even more from him. A grade talent.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
With Walsh, I feel how hard he actually works is undervalued or not recognised externally.

Often he’ll sprint 80m just to create an option on the wing. This then gives the team time to set up. Without that effort we would have likely kicked the ball directly to the opposition or to a position where we are outnumbered.
Shout out to Martin who did the same, numerous times ran to provide a target or outlet kick.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
His kick to Walsh with 3 min to go was crucial in the lead up to Cott's goal. Amazing vision to spot Sam and then the perfect low-bullet pass!
One other thing that needs to be highlighted was Cripps running alongside Walsh giving him the protection, from wing to half forward, so the Sydney player couldn’t get to him which allowed Walsh to take his bounces take his time and kick a beautiful ball to Harry on the edge of the square, who should have got a free kick, just great running from the Captain late in the game.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I'm not sure there is a team at the moment that is playing perfect footy. Of course there are things to work on, and there are so many factors at play here that we are still a small chance to play finals with two games to play is proof to me that we are on the right track.
Plus at least we know what we have to work on to improve, being a Melbourne or Essendon supporter atm would be torturous as they have so many problems number 1 being sustained effort from week to week or weak to weaker.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Was everyone else also getting annoyed at Dunstal's repeated confusion as to why Harry always plays on.
Clearly he gets the yips, if he takes too long or thinks about taking a set shot, so goes by natural instinct.
I would have thought blind Freddie could work that one out.
Plus when he said Fish started his career as a running half back, idiot. 😂

I don't mind Dunstall. Got that one wrong but overall pretty reasonable commentator.
followed us as a kid in qld, actually loves us to death..........

Back