Preview Rd 16: Changes Vs the Demons - MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Cherry ripe for the upset win this week against Demons. Coming off a loss, an MCG rehearsal, it's just the type of game that Leon can motivate the boys for an UPSET WIN

It doesn’t really matter if we win or not. The problems continue as they always have been these last couple of years. Can’t play dangerous footy. Can’t stop the opposition from scoring… it’s mind bending how easily some sides can exit the ball against us.
That’s never changed under Leon. Some coaches have mastered zone defence and how to navigate it through offence. I reckon Leon is weak in this area. More importantly, the evidence clearly shows us that.

I will get shouted down for this but Mumford needs to come in to support the mids and provide that big body and aggression in the contest that the team is missing
MDB to tag Oliver as this will provide some thing positive from him as he does not offer enough as a defensive forward
Green and Ash to come back in and hopefully this helps around the contest and with the ball movement and Idun although ok defensively he needs to work on his run and ball movement

The club so desperately needs an experienced coach and I cant see this happening with the soft cap where it is and trying to get a Vic person to move to Sydney in this environment

I will get shouted down for this but Mumford needs to come in to support the mids and provide that big body and aggression in the contest that the team is missing
MDB to tag Oliver as this will provide some thing positive from him as he does not offer enough as a defensive forward
Green and Ash to come back in and hopefully this helps around the contest and with the ball movement and Idun although ok defensively he needs to work on his run and ball movement

The club so desperately needs an experienced coach and I cant see this happening with the soft cap where it is and trying to get a Vic person to move to Sydney in this environment
Have a listen to last weeks footy Phil if you get a chance. In it he really clearly articulates how MDB tagging takes midfield minutes off others. He mentioned in the Carlton game the flow on was Greene almost exclusively forward and TT had more forward time than any other game this year as a result
He makes a pretty convincing argument as to why we can’t have Mdb tag AND greene in the midfield rotation

I must be Daniel Lloyd's only fan on this board. Continually hits the scoreboard.

Would love him at NM (along with Riccardi!).
Nah mate lloyd is golden

I’m a big fan too
Nah, I've been on board since last year. He just does everything well enough other than get a heap of the ball because he doesn't win it himself. Stick him on a wing or flank and you'll get really dependable disposal, tackles that stick, running all day, and goals from 50m+ out. I hate seeing him dropped for another inside mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, I've been on board since last year. He just does everything well enough other than get a heap of the ball because he doesn't win it himself. Stick him on a wing or flank and you'll get really dependable disposal, tackles that stick, running all day, and goals from 50m+ out. I hate seeing him dropped for another inside mid.
He’s an okay player in a mid-table team. Would need to contribute more to be best 22 in a top 4 team.

He’s an okay player in a mid-table team. Would need to contribute more to be best 22 in a top 4 team.
You still have role players in top four teams - I'd take him at the Lions in that 19-22 range for example, where we have Robertson, Prior and Ah Chee. Lloyd even played regularly when we (GWS) were a top four team.

You still have role players in top four teams - I'd take him at the Lions in that 19-22 range for example, where we have Robertson, Prior and Ah Chee. Lloyd even played regularly when we (GWS) were a top four team.
I agree with you about role players. The Tigers the last 4 years have been the benchmark.
Unfortunately his role doesn’t fully play to his strengths. Lloyd is a beautiful field kick, but the Giants game plan doesn’t really encourage attacking kicking. I won’t go on too much about that as there’s another thread discussing coaching.

Unfortunately his role doesn’t fully play to his strengths. Lloyd is a beautiful field kick, but the Giants game plan doesn’t really encourage attacking kicking.
Oh no, I definitely agree with this. We don't look to spread much beyond the first handball (if that, given the chop kick out of congestion) where Lloyd would be a fantastic option. He would be great as a dedicated winger designed to hold off the ball and pressure/tackle/shut down an opposition ball win or send the ball inside 50.

Been very impressed by the two youngsters Flynn and Briggs for you. Think you'd be nuts not to keep giving them games while they are proving more than capable and bringing in Mumford who has looked finished for the past two years.

I don't think any of the 3 returning names will make the lineup this week but we dont see what the coaches do so my changes would be

In: Mumford, Ash, Green
Out: Flynn/Briggs/Idun/Kennedy/MDB/HH/TOJ

Idun needs a rest like Buckley but he will be needed this week and any of the others deserve some time in reserves and I may be harsh on the rucks but the difference with the Hawks rucks was a reason for the loss imo

Taylor in for Buckley (been great but needs a rest I reckon). Hogan for Finlayson.
Greene for DeBoer.
Cogs to play in reggies. Had a long break with toe and ankle surgery.

DeBoer has to be dropped. I’m pretty sure he tagged OMeara and I think Omeara had 23 and a goal. DeBoer had 12 disposals.
I think his days are nearly done. His return game against North was a shocker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back