Review Rd 16: Freo holds on against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox spent a lot of time talking to the docs through the 2nd quarter and during ht. Playing sore
Clearly hampered. Could barely run to try and touch that goal on the line in the 3rd.

Anyone saying that was a s**t game clearly didn't go to the 2014 SF when Port broke our hearts.

We really owned that game for the majority of it and blitzed out to 40 pts - Port would be in the Top 8 right now if they hadn't completely bungled their start to the year.

We have had the misfortune of catching a couple of teams on their last finals-chance this year - Hawks threw the kitchen sink in their last chance to reignite and Collingwood sniffed there chance to become a contender again this year. It's now going to happen non-stop as we're playing the Saints, Sydney, Richmond and the Dogs at critical periods of their season.

This has to be the making of us.
Agree 100%. This was a Ken Hinkley special. I fully expected this being as close as it ended up being, and was marvelling at the fact we were up by so much at 3QT. But like you I had memories of Port's overruns, both in that game in 2014 and other matches I've watched them play. Hinkley seems to think that he can shuffle names on a whiteboard and pinch games at the death. This has worked for him multiple times but we didn't allow it here. We should not be so down on this performance, it was a good one, against a team that was top four last year and is desperately pressing for finals. We just knocked them out of the race.

And for those hating on Fyfe, demanding he be dropped. 21 touches and a goal is immense from a half forward. You need to break the mindset that his benchmark is Brownlow medal winner. His benchmark is whatever helps the team and he did that in spades today. Our second best forward.

And for those hating on Fyfe, demanding he be dropped. 21 touches and a goal is immense from a half forward. You need to break the mindset that his benchmark is Brownlow medal winner. His benchmark is whatever helps the team and he did that in spades today. Our second best forward.

Exactly. Not a single CBA apparently and spent the whole game playing fwd. You don't drop a forward who had 21 disp 1 goal and 26pa

I agreed with this last year, but is one more year of Lobb better than 10+ years of Jackson? Decent chance this is the only shot of getting Jackson because he seems hell bent on heading home and WC will at least pay him well. If you dont rate Jackson at all I suppose I understand but I think given you make michelin star level lemonade out of lemons if you have the chance

Not really sure it's fair to say it's a choice between Lobb and Jackson. Reality is that we're not going to get much for Lobb in a trade and we're going to have to shell out a king's ransom for Jackson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't a gotchya question but it's one to highlight the point of his value.

... who are the better marking key forwards/part time full ground rucks in the league?

Not many. Melbourne should be happy with him and a second rounder for Jackson. Rory looks like he could play for another four years

Really impressed with Logue up forward. He can be the lead up forward. He can play 3rd Tall, then when the ball hits the ground he turns into a small forward and competes fiercely.

He's not confident kicking for goal yet. But I think he can get it in time. His kicking is generally pretty smooth he just needs more time & confidence At the moment we are getting away with it because his pressure and ability to put others in scoring position.

It's been an unpredictable few weeks.

Still scratching my head about freos midfield just laying down to Carlton with little resistance.

Yet Carlton lost to the saints. Freos midfield dominated that 2nd and 3rd quarter yet became stagnate in the 4th.

Our worst footy is absolutely garbage 🗑️. Our best footy on the day can beat anyone on any ground

Not really sure it's fair to say it's a choice between Lobb and Jackson. Reality is that we're not going to get much for Lobb in a trade and we're going to have to shell out a king's ransom for Jackson.
Yeah but that wasnt the discussion I was having. You're right though, it's not a choice between Lobb or Jackson but Lobb is leaving whether we like it or not, whether it's this year or next. So therefore, are we better off with Jackson or the draft picks? I think we are comfortably better off with Jackson

Oh dont get me wrong, I think Lobb has 4 years of playing how he is this year, just think he's absolutely committed to leaving for whatever ******* reason that is (it shits me as well). Think if we dont trade him this year, he absolutely leaves next year, and he's probably a bit shitty about it as well tbh.

Does literally anybody know why? His family are thrilled he's back. He's on good money and the club is trajecting upwards. Bizarre.

The west said she came back to Perth recently. But regardless I maintain freo should hold Lobb to his contract unless they have a readymade replacement coming in. If freo are having a tilt at a flag than the last year of his contract is almost princeless to freo.
Fook it, the club pays for Rory's tinder platinum and hosts speed dating seshes at the ARC. I don't understand the logic of putting your career first when your partner earns 5× what you earn.

The west said she came back to Perth recently. But regardless I maintain freo should hold Lobb to his contract unless they have a readymade replacement coming in. If freo are having a tilt at a flag than the last year of his contract is almost princeless to freo.
Seemed to be only temporary. is back in melb now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back