Review Rd 16 vs Sydney at SCG- Sat, 4.40pm.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
To see a Gold Coast team get bullied and pushed around by a team that represents the more elite Eastern Half of Sydney is very hard to take.
It's hard to take against any team of course. They didn't have Kennedy either.

The Rocket brigade blame the list.

Gee I don't know about that, I feel I keep seeing some real talents just have their confidence and fight eroded under his regime.

The NEAFL had 16 listed players today too and lost by over 100.

What a terrible mess. The fan base will not grow while they lack genuine fight. That I do know. They will just stick to their NRL teams or old AFL teams and stop watching us.

Wave that magic wand CEO Evans because u r seemingly our only hope.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With the team we had can't say the result is surprising at all. Sydney are at their best. MacPherson, Davis, Lemmens and Lonergan are all either not good enough or too young. Sexton down back?? Leslie, Ablett, Rischa, Hall all must come back next week.
It's good to see someone making sense in here. and not just blaming rocket for everything. Like some pain in the *** new members

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not sure what can be done to be honest it doesn't seem like a quick fix I.e. Sack the coach.
A combination of poor coaching and poor list management and poor recruitment.
Too many X factor players on our list not enough senior players to steady the ship and no game plan to combat teams game plan.

Best case scenario between now and next year. Will be to bring in a new coach and football management. Drop or trade these lesser lights from the club and bring in senior bodies experience. I don't care if Andrew Swallow is slow he'd try his guts out today which is more then half our team today.

Jun 10, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
It's certainly tiring watching our club go about it at half efforts. We have rarely been a good side without the ball, probably why we still haven't beaten Adelaide and Sydney in 7 years with their hard nosed culture and champion players they have had the past decade.

Rocket not to blame for the players not trying or up to standard. We have too few up to AFL standard in Terms of passion, application and work rate. You either have it or you don't, it's very tough to teach or coach.

I haven't even said anything about skills...

Positives were Swallow, Witts, Lyons, Martin, May and Lynch. Everyone else pretty much were below par

PokerChamp

Senior List
Mar 29, 2006
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With the team we had can't say the result is surprising at all. Sydney are at their best. MacPherson, Davis, Lemmens and Lonergan are all either not good enough or too young. Sexton down back?? Leslie, Ablett, Rischa, Hall all must come back next week.

Macpherson is on the young side.

But Davis, lonergen, lemmens are not young anymore, they just aren't any good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Macpherson is on the young side.

But Davis, lonergen, lemmens are not young anymore, they just aren't any good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's what i was getting at although, i'm not sure really what his x factor is. He's quite short so he really needs to be perfect with his disposals otherwise he's not bringing much.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Insipid again.
This time for 3 quarters.
A big improvement!
The insipid actually followed a quarter of hard yakka.
Usually the other way around.
Also, another 100+ points given up.

Nothing else to say.

..well, one more thing. How bad would we look without Witts and Lyons? How bad were we last year, without Witts, Lyons and Swallow? Shudder.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just watched the Eade post game press conference

How pathetic u would think we were competitive. We were weak, insipid and soft.

The whole AFL world knows it except for Fraud Rocket and the Rocket Booster Cheerleaders.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Same old excuses being wheeled out. Next week we'll have A,B,C,D coming back......
What we had out there last night was pretty much the future. What they dished up after quarter time was cringeworthy.
After 7 drafts with numerous high picks, we are thankful for Witts, Lyons & Barlow....
Says a lot about our club identifying talent and then developing it.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Same old excuses being wheeled out. Next week we'll have A,B,C,D coming back......
What we had out there last night was pretty much the future. What they dished up after quarter time was cringeworthy.
After 7 drafts with numerous high picks, we are thankful for Witts, Lyons & Barlow....
Says a lot about our club identifying talent and then developing it.

That's such a good point. The only ones showing grit and manliness are the recycled semi-unwanted players.

For all the Rocket Boosters out there I'm such a great bloke that I'm happy to let the old fossil have Marcus Ashcroft's position.

After all the true undisputed master of long term failure is Ashcroft. Rocket is just a champion of medium term failure. Nothing compares to Ashcroft's ability to survive misery Year in and Year out and not be accountable. He's the Silver Haired Cockroach, he will not be defeated.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
The problem is definitely the cattle right now. I look at the midfield we rolled out and looked at the midfield Sydney rolled out and we just didn't have the weapons. Our guys crashed in and applied terrific pressure and contest, but couldn't sustain it. That sort of footy just isn't sustainable for us yet. It's little wonder why guys like Lyons and Swallow and Witts were our best; they didn't fade away. They're a bit older and have the muscle and tank to keep going.

We're carrying a few players in my opinion. Lemmens no-where near it unfortunately. Cal also hasn't been the same since coming back.

Sexton a liability in the back half. He needs to learn to kick something that isn't a dump kick. I'd play him in the midfield at least. Didn't mind him when he was tagging oppo back flankers and getting forward himself, but not suited to a back pocket position.

Lonergan is certainly done. Nearly every disposal he had (both handball and kicks) were direct turnovers. I've always been a fan, but there is certainly no chance he stays beyond this year. Good luck at a different club Jesse. Hopefully a change in scenery will reinvigorate his career. I would park him and bring Brodie in for the rest of the year. He needs games under his belt.

McKenzie absolutely torched. Tough day for the backman though. Hard to see how he stays in with Hanley due to return.

We desperately need to find more capable midfielders. Guys that can stay in there for 80% of the game time, like Lyons. Barlow and Rischa on their last legs and Ablett won't be here next year. At the moment I see guys like Lyons, Swallow and Miller as starting mids. Ideally Brodie will grow into that role too. But then there's nothing. Fiorini maybe? Bowes?

Playing guys like Davis, McKenzie and Lonergan from here on out is a waste. Brodie and Scrimshaw should play every game from here on out IMO. They need games into them ASAP to launch them into a pre-season.

I thought Bowes was okay, but he suffers from being so slight. I look forward to seeing what he can do with more muscle on his frame.

SunsBhoy

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The problem is definitely the cattle right now. I look at the midfield we rolled out and looked at the midfield Sydney rolled out and we just didn't have the weapons. Our guys crashed in and applied terrific pressure and contest, but couldn't sustain it. That sort of footy just isn't sustainable for us yet. It's little wonder why guys like Lyons and Swallow and Witts were our best; they didn't fade away. They're a bit older and have the muscle and tank to keep going.

We're carrying a few players in my opinion. Lemmens no-where near it unfortunately. Cal also hasn't been the same since coming back.

Sexton a liability in the back half. He needs to learn to kick something that isn't a dump kick. I'd play him in the midfield at least. Didn't mind him when he was tagging oppo back flankers and getting forward himself, but not suited to a back pocket position.

Lonergan is certainly done. Nearly every disposal he had (both handball and kicks) were direct turnovers. I've always been a fan, but there is certainly no chance he stays beyond this year. Good luck at a different club Jesse. Hopefully a change in scenery will reinvigorate his career. I would park him and bring Brodie in for the rest of the year. He needs games under his belt.

McKenzie absolutely torched. Tough day for the backman though. Hard to see how he stays in with Hanley due to return.

We desperately need to find more capable midfielders. Guys that can stay in there for 80% of the game time, like Lyons. Barlow and Rischa on their last legs and Ablett won't be here next year. At the moment I see guys like Lyons, Swallow and Miller as starting mids. Ideally Brodie will grow into that role too. But then there's nothing. Fiorini maybe? Bowes?

Playing guys like Davis, McKenzie and Lonergan from here on out is a waste. Brodie and Scrimshaw should play every game from here on out IMO. They need games into them ASAP to launch them into a pre-season.

I thought Bowes was okay, but he suffers from being so slight. I look forward to seeing what he can do with more muscle on his frame.

Good post Sunny , agree with everything , only thing holding back playing the future atm in Scrimshaw , Brodie etc is a coach in limbo , we either re-appoint him or else Rocket will keep on playing older/ mature harden bodies which you cant blame him . So as a club we are in limbo atm , we are out of finals contention and by right we should be getting games into these boys .

SunsBhoy

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You certainly cannot keep playing Lonergan at least. Davis was okay last week, but bad this week. So if they kept him in I wouldn't jump off a cliff. But Jesse has been woeful for two weeks in a row.

Yep , he has had 5 years and 52 games , his output should be greater than he is showing , is suppose to be a contested beast but in the last 2 weeks has only delivered 14 CP , Swallow had 18 on his own last night . As you said would love to see him be replaced by Brodie but will more than likely be replaced by Rischitelli.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Good post Sunny , agree with everything , only thing holding back playing the future atm in Scrimshaw , Brodie etc is a coach in limbo , we either re-appoint him or else Rocket will keep on playing older/ mature harden bodies which you cant blame him . So as a club we are in limbo atm , we are out of finals contention and by right we should be getting games into these boys .

That's why I keep on saying let's relieve Rocket of his duties, put in Solomon as caretaker and give him the explicit instructions of "play the kids and get the team to play with the same mongrel that u played with".

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I so wanted Lonners to come good
Has everything going for him other than the ability to play football
But Sunny's post is correct.
Eade can only work with what he's got
After Ablett Riska and Barlow go we will be relying on Swallow and Lyons as the midfield engine.
That's A grade for sure but it's not Selwood/Dangerfield

SunsBhoy

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That's why I keep on saying let's relieve Rocket of his duties, put in Solomon as caretaker and give him the explicit instructions of "play the kids and get the team to play with the same mongrel that u played with".

Yep , but you only have to say it once not every post you write , contary to belief what we say in this forum does'nt change anything at head office .

Back