Autopsy Rd 17 2019 St Kilda 8 9 57 defeated by Geelong 12 12 84

Pretty sure more say he is the goat more than than the average player he is.

I thought you were one of the morally superior ones that never bag our players anyway?

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
I’ll take your word for it but I struggle to understand why people get so personal & throw such insults around over differing opinions. I want to say that this joint is going to s**t but in all honesty it’s always been the same with a few divisive posters where trouble seems to follow them around.

All I want is for our team to improve & many of us had high expectations of Acres. Apart from this year & the latter part of last year when he came back from a semi serious injury he was tracking okay. He was consistently averaging 20 touches a game & starting to influence matches more consistently.

Acres has had a poor year no doubt. Along with Sinclair & to a slightly lesser degree McKenzie he’s been the biggest disappointment of 2019. I can’t wait for this year to finish, get some closure on the coaching situation, get an injection of hope & go again next year.

Yeah well it is only one whom I never see now because they are on ignore.

I agree Sinclair and DMAC have been poor as well, Gres down and Newnes extremely inconsistent.

I reckon DMAC is worthless, Newnes FA and Gres just resigned and a much better performer so I reckon put Acres on the table.
Maybe if we dont offload him he may react like Lonie, if we do trade him, hopefully for the betterment of the team.

I think we can all agree things cant go on the way they arecwith both coach and list.

Jun 16, 2008
here
AFL Club
St Kilda
Despite his lack of height he’s a very powerful unit. He stands up in tackles, rarely gets caught holding the ball & has a quick 5-10 metre burst.

Last night he had 28 touches, 12 contested & 5 clearances. He was one of our best.

I think people are being too harsh on him, he’s the least of our concerns. He’s got his flaws but he’s tracking very good for a 21 year old.
One thing is he needs to do is not just kick quick, he rarely hits a target, needs some Hunter Clark poise. Blew me away last night how calm hes was in the middle of packs even while being tackled. He stayed calm and found the right option.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I thought you were one of the morally superior ones that never bag our players anyway?
I haven’t. Find a post. I call him average who has good and bad games. That’s not bagging. Bagging would be calling him a derogatory name. Morally superior expecting respect of ours. If you say so. Strange way of thinking I reckon.

Jun 16, 2008
here
AFL Club
St Kilda
Went to the game last night, really impressed with our first half, just missed some chances in that third quarter which would have kept us in it for longer. In the end, beaten by a better side, who certainly had some help from the umpires - 26-14, along with some shocking non-decisions (such as Danger pushing Coffield in the back, marking and goaling....)

By the way, Geelong supporters would have the most smug, biased and hostile towards opposition supporters I have ever experienced. Not a pleasant place to watch and barrack respectfully for your team....
I thought the umpiring was ok to that point, then it just turned on its head.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
One thing is he needs to do is not just kick quick, he rarely hits a target, needs some Hunter Clark poise. Blew me away last night how calm hes was in the middle of packs even while being tackled. He stayed calm and found the right option.

Clark was brilliant last night. It just shows that getting games into young players is worth its weight in gold & heavily contributes to development. Hunter is now getting use to the pace of AFL footy & it has really shown over the past fortnight. He also won himself plenty of tackles so he’s certainly got an appetite for the contest.

Gresham has very good vision & his hand balling in the contest is elite. Maybe he should be a handball first player but I think he’s trying to fill the void left by Steven. He’s still tracking very well & the balance between forward & midfield is yet to be defined. We probably need him to become our version of Lachie Neale.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Clark was brilliant last night. It just shows that getting games into young players is worth its weight in gold & heavily contributes to development. Hunter is now getting use to the pace of AFL footy & it has really shown over the past fortnight. He also won himself plenty of tackles so he’s certainly got an appetite for the contest.

Gresham has very good vision & his hand balling in the contest is elite. Maybe he should be a handball first player but I think he’s trying to fill the void left by Steven. He’s still tracking very well & the balance between forward & midfield is yet to be defined. We probably need him to become our version of Lachie Neale.
Gresh is a fantastic kick. Just gets under to much because he try’s to do to much. That is due to a weak midfield. Wait until he plays in a good one. As for Clark I think the time at sandy as a pure mid helps his vision when play half back. It’s a logical position for a younger mid to play especially with his body certainly not being ready.

Jun 16, 2008
here
AFL Club
St Kilda
Gresh is a fantastic kick. Just gets under to much because he try’s to do to much. That is due to a weak midfield. Wait until he plays in a good one. As for Clark I think the time at sandy as a pure mid helps his vision when play half back. It’s a logical position for a younger mid to play especially with his body certainly not being ready.
Clark looked bigger last night, he is tracking well for a place in the mid field next year.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

I think Gresh has very good vision when kicking/hand balling & kicks extremely well around the corner however his straight line kicking & execution in match conditions is about average. It’s a stretch to call it fantastic. When I think of fantastic kicks I think of Dal Santo, Pendlebury, Bont & Billings.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I think Gresh has very good vision when kicking/hand balling & kicks extremely well around the corner however his straight line kicking & execution in match conditions is about average. It’s a stretch to call it fantastic. When I think of fantastic kicks I think of Dal Santo, Pendlebury, Bont & Billings.

Probably meant from hard positions. Very clever.

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United
Just saw on Fox at half time of the twilight game that Clarkson was fined 20k, with 15k suspended for comments against umpires. I think Richo was more diplomatic.

Sure, ideally not a great look making it public, but I hope that the clubs can engage in some constructive dialogue behind closed doors and it's not just that any discussion will be immediately shut down.

Having said that, I enjoyed Richo saying it.

Agreed mate aside from Marshall, Hunts has been our best over the last couple of weeks. Oddly I was laughed at for thinking he was in our best couple against Richmond, he then backed it up with a tough go against North, and showed it again last night. For all the frustration about Richo not playing the high picks, toiling away in the 2's seems to be working. Marshall Clark Battle absolutely enormous for us this year.

No doubt the nickname was tongue in cheek, but the love was real.
Oh yeah well he has alot of potential so naturally people will get excited about the prospect of him really coming on. Hopefully the next coach gets the most out of him.

Pretty sure more say he is the goat more than than the average player he is.

Do you really think that people on here who watch footy religiously and are pretty knowledgeable actually think he is, or is going to be the GOAT?

It’s much more a case of seeing a player who has the potential to offer so much more than he currently is giving and hoping he can become a GOAT - or really, at least, just a very good player.

We are so desperate for a GOAT in the team that it really is a severe case of wishful thinking and hoping and a bit of fun.

Having said that, many of us (if I can speak for others) do believe that the way he has been played over the years has hindered his development.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Agreed mate aside from Marshall, Hunts has been our best over the last couple of weeks. Oddly I was laughed at for thinking he was in our best couple against Richmond, he then backed it up with a tough go against North, and showed it again last night. For all the frustration about Richo not playing the high picks, toiling away in the 2's seems to be working. Marshall Clark Battle absolutely enormous for us this year.

I noticed SENs u21 team has Battle lined up at CHB. Good to see him getting some respect.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Oh yeah well he has alot of potential so naturally people will get excited about the prospect of him really coming on. Hopefully the next coach gets the most out of him.
But maybe that is his best. Some very good games. Mostly average games and then poor games. It doesn’t help that you aren’t a naturally smart footballer. Hope you are right though.

StKing11

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2015
Tasmania
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United, LeBron James
I was pretty happy with last night's game, probably the best case scenario we could've realistically hoped for.

A lot of Acres/Sinclair talk, I have been a big fan of both for years and it hurts to see them both having such disappointing seasons. Not sure how much of the blame is to be placed on our terrible coaching/development and how much on the players in question. Sinclair used to be so classy and a great kick, that has disappeared over the last 12+ months. Acres used to be full of X-factor, unpredictability and excitement, that has disappeared this season. Plus he looks like he can't be assed at the moment, he's best mates with Dunstan and Steele, why can't some of the intensity they play with rub off on him. Despite being a big fan I've long feared that he'll just be a tease that never puts it all together and perhaps it's headed that way. Only way that I would trade him is if it helped us land someone like a Brad Hill for example, otherwise on current value he'd only be worth a late 30's/early 40's pick in which case I'd rather just keep him and hope he gets his s**t together.

I thought the only reason McKenzie was still in the team was because he was our main small defender with Geary and Webster out, but then he played forward this week so f*** knows how he's getting a game. It's harsh but we might as well have played with 21 rather than him up forward, 4 touches in 83% TOG. Newnes 10 turnovers from 18 disposals. Hind and Paton not doing enough, how White can't get a game at the moment I have NFI. Lonie looked well short of a gallop, probably could've used another week in the VFL after so long out but I don't blame us for picking him with our small forwards struggling.

Great experience for Clark and Coffield to have the opportunity to play on the actual GOAT Ablett at times. Clark was fantastic again, his last 3 weeks have been so encouraging. Looks a great mix of inside/outside, capable kick on both sides, sharp clean hands, poised in traffic, tenacious and brave. Really like him. Coff is going pretty well too just need to pump games into him for the rest of the year.

Steele and Dunstan had 17 clearances between them, both got a lot of the footy and Steele nullified the Brownlow favorite Kelly. Gresh got plenty of it along with 8 inside 50's and 7 tackles. Billings was good again and has averaged 7 tackles over the last 5 games, becoming a more well rounded player. Marshall is low key one of the form players in the AFL right now. Billings-Marshall-Steele would be our top 3 in the B+F right now for my money and all 3 of them are 23 with their best years ahead of them which is encouraging at least. There's something to work with for the future, just need to find the right coach to make it happen.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Do you really think that people on here who watch footy religiously and are pretty knowledgeable actually think he is, or is going to be the GOAT?

It’s much more a case of seeing a player who has the potential to offer so much more than he currently is giving and hoping he can become a GOAT - or really, at least, just a very good player.

We are so desperate for a GOAT in the team that it really is a severe case of wishful thinking and hoping and a bit of fun.

Having said that, many of us (if I can speak for others) do believe that the way he has been played over the years has hindered his development.
No I don’t think they think he is the goat. It’s obviously a joke. Every single person would know that but I reckon it’s safe to say those saying he is the goat think he is special. I don’t think longer was ever going to be called the goat.

And I think those who think he is being hindered are looking for excuses. To me his best position is as a utility. There are better players for other positions suggested. And he does play in the positions suggested and either doesn’t touch and is moved or does well. His problem is he is very inconsistent but more average than good.

I noticed SENs u21 team has Battle lined up at CHB. Good to see him getting some respect.
I'm just as bullish as you are about the list. I counted off the top of my head about 15 players that we can build from. Marshall Battle Clark Coffield Wilkie Lonie King Gresham Billings Steele Dunstan Carlisle Long Parker Sinclair Membrey Bruce. There's actually quite a decent nucleus there. Dunstan was trade bait 3 months ago but geez has he turned it around or what.

With the inevitability of Richo leaving I'm actually more optimistic now than I have been for a while. I don't think we are THAT far off it. 2 years I'd say. A year embedding a new gameplan and pushing on from there in 2021.

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great to see Clark doing great. He's been able in the last couple weeks been able to move through congestion in the ways he was trying to last year but at the moment he it is working. His work through traffic is really really advanced for someone his age. The other thing with him is that I think the pre season he had which was supposed to have run a 3km time to play midifield has coincidently really helped his ability to play off half back. Whilst he may not be ready to run through the guts his added running power means that he seems advanced in his running for a defender. This I think has shown in his disosal numbers and also his decision making.

Also on Coffield I think he has and was much better defensively. He's starting to use his the athleticism and reach to be really good at spoiling in marking contests.

luca77

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2010
Japan
AFL Club
St Kilda
A few sad thoughts about the umpiring.
There are definitely rules for stars and rules for the rest when it comes to htb decisions. Given we lack stars, we're always going to be on the wrong end of that ledger.
When you get tackled immediately and don't have prior, and there's no clear way out it might be best to cop the tackle and go to ground. Trying to break that tackle, getting wrapped up in the next and next even though you can't get rid of it McKenzie style gets you in trouble. That happened at least 2 or 3 times yesterday.
When it comes to holding the man, it'll be nice when we're the ones being held instead of holding on and trying to negate. No idea when that'll be.
Finally, someone else said it a while back. HTB is rarely paid these days and the tacklers are the ones giving away frees more often than not. Even if they don't give the free away, it seems that when the ball spills free the tackler is in a poor position to take advantage. It's clear that the AFL is simply working against the style of play that coaches like RTB brought to prominence and Richo subscribes to. That's not to say you can't apply pressure e.t.c, but building your game around that and not much else is probably not the best idea in this climate. Sure, our pressure keeps us in games when we're up to it, but if that's the best thing you can say about our team it's pretty piss poor. And that's about the best thing I can say about our team, sadly.

Anyway, someone was talking about Bruce being prominent coinciding with Membrey not getting near it. Maybe they've been defending Membrey pretty well, and it'll swing back to a focus on Bruce now that he's in pretty good form. Also, the narrow ground at Geelong could have resulted in Membrey getting squeezed out a bit. It does seem unlikely there'll be room for Membrey, Bruce and King up there let alone Marshall (Paddy's not even in the conversation of course). With King coming in and having the right of way up there, it might still be worth trading Bruce if he's unable to perform without making the forward 50 his own. I used to think Richmond would never win a flag with J.Riewoldt up forward for that reason - but he turned himself into a really selfless player.
Anyway, just some next day thoughts...I was too deflated and frustrated to write anything last night.
Oh and credit where credit's due - I was impressed with Ross yesterday in that he didn't completely suck and he actually tried to think his way through things when he had the ball. Not saying he was great or among our best or anything, but if he keeps doing that it would be nice. Our best players have already been duly praised so just thought I'd throw that in. Also, I'm still wrapped with what Hind is bringing and would be pretty damn annoyed if he wasn't a lock at this stage. And go C and C you good things, make yourselves undroppable.

Back