Autopsy Rd 17 Blues lose to the bottom side after awful first half

Who played well in Round 17 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah we retire to the study to formulate a plan, generally it only takes us a quarter or so to come up with one. ;)

It is one of our strengths that Teague can usually engineer a significant momentum shift that gets us back into the game, we simply have to get better at absorbing pressure to limit the damage while we aren't in control and having on field leaders being able to engineer a momentum shift to reduce the time we aren't in control.
Our second half set up should be our plan A as it was last year and as it was against the Cats and Dogs, first half our half forwards refused to follow there man up the ground on fast breaks and it once again allowed the run on, second half we played how we did in the above mentioned games with our half forwards working up the ground defensively and then getting used on the way back which gets our running and handball game going, we also switched up the midfield mix using the power fast runners in Cunners and Gibbo, who were not sighted in the first half yet those 2 being used through the middle or as high half forwards along with fish got us back in the game with overlap run back towards the forward 50 that was then wide open for the talls to work because these players were working up and back.

This was how we played late last year and needs to be the base set up, it is better defensively and is miles better offensively as it gives the talls quick ball movement and space to work, which with Charlie back next year is a must, it also gets a player like McGovern into the play and doing things that suit his abilities rather than standing under the high ball clogging up space, his best use for us and him is as the high half forward connecter between defence and attack.

Teague needs to trust the half forwards and smalls to be able to push up the ground and still be able to work back and get to the crumb, this still allows for a forward press when we get it in but leaves space for the talls to work and speed of delivery.

I just hope this is the game style we continue to hone and practice because when we can get our half forwards into the game and being used in the chains heading forward we are a much more attractive and damn dangerous team to play.

Teague is learning and as you say his tactical shifts to get us going when down have been very good, also his ability to get us up from week to week has been very good, people piss and moan that we haven’t won 3 in a row while ignoring the fact that we also haven’t lost more than 2 in a row and that we have generally responded well to a loss, a few good on field and off field acquisitions in the off season and a tweaking of our game style and having the above style as plan a while still developing a plan b and we can go into next year with some genuine hope.

Dear Carlton Football Club.... You had one job. One job. One ******* job!
I had us with a pass mark for the this season. Never expected or predicted finals but a pass mark nonetheless.
That was put into question yesterday.

The problem is not mentally and weak or game plan or fitness it is that we are lacking some key players in the team and our lack of pace hurts all over the ground. No pace in the back line no pace forward and a real lack of pace around the ball. The players that do have pace cunners cotters fisher dow etc are just not up to it at this stage. Gov Eddie gibbo Cas will have there good days but one in every three or four is not enough. That's why we have to sell the farm for the likes of papley and Williams even though I think I heard pap is not interested in leaving the swans. When another team gets a run on we are unable to spread or get back quick enough but when the heat goes of our players are able to control the game.

Big difference between immaturity and mental weakness
Not disagreeing, but those in a fit of pique may choose a word indelicately and then not back down from it.

As I said I hate the term "mentally weak" when referring to elite athlete's who push themselves to the limit simply to get to AFL standard but I can see how some people are using the term as a catch all which includes being immature.

Not disagreeing, but those in a fit of pique may choose a word indelicately and then not back down from it.

As I said I hate the term "mentally weak" when referring to elite athlete's who push themselves to the limit simply to get to AFL standard but I can see how some people are using the term as a catch all which includes being immature.

I understand it too

But what is more surprising, how would any of us here know what a player is thinking

We can form an opinion of a physical act, is or isn't an elite kick, etc

But mindset?

Anyway, some healthy debate

Bring on next game/year

Deflecting? Being consistent with structures etc. takes focus and discipline (i.e. mental strength).

The fact that we’re capable at times yet falter in big moments suggests a mental frailty.
No it reflects inexperience with the game style which let’s be honest isnt exactly imbedded just yet and needs tweaking and adjusting especially in terms of changing gears when momentum starts to slide.

It takes mental toughness just to get out there week after week and it takes a lot of mental strength to be able to fight back after getting pummelled, do you see Melbourne fight back in games once a team gets a hold of them or Essendon, but our boys do not surrender under any circumstances they suck it up and fight on regardless of the scoreboard.

After watching this side fight and scrap this year despite tough circumstances for all, I believe they deserve a little better from there supporters than labelling them mentally weak.

No it reflects inexperience with the game style which let’s be honest isnt exactly imbedded just yet and needs tweaking and adjusting especially in terms of changing gears when momentum starts to slide.

It takes mental toughness just to get out there week after week and it takes a lot of mental strength to be able to fight back after getting pummelled, do you see Melbourne fight back in games once a team gets a hold of them or Essendon, but our boys do not surrender under any circumstances they suck it up and fight on regardless of the scoreboard.

After watching this side fight and scrap this year despite tough circumstances for all, I believe they deserve a little better from there supporters than labelling them mentally weak.

I really, really don't think we should be using Melbourne or Essendon as yardsticks in the mental toughness stakes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mental weakness takes so many forms..

Work ethic and drive are just one aspect.

Id argue that just about every player on our list has it in some form, some more than others. The sum of which all have a hand in our performances.

I do. Sure we can fight back, but we're giving ourselves an out, like falling over when you're chasing a player.

Playing for frees, arguing with umpires, head wobble chasing. All forms of mental weakness.

For those that will demand an explanation :

Taking the easy way out, fighting the unchangeable, worrying about what others think. All fall under the mental weakness umbrella.

Big moments?

Like coming back against the Dockers, Dons, Swans?

We are a mid table side in the 5th year of a rebuild. Our results, competitiveness, inconsistency, is similar to other rebuilding sides such as the Saints and Lions.

Immaturity? Certainly. Building continuity in the list and gameplan, Absolutely.

Mentally weak? I don't believe so

If we were losing all our close games, I would reconsider your concern, until then, I would focus on other areas
We are 5 wins and 3 losses in games decided by under 10 points.

This is all down to coaching.

Mentally weak side.

If this club had any sort of culture or leadership - where effort is non-negotiable - that first half wouldn’t happen.

But alas no, it happens...again and again, week after week.

To put that sort of pathetic effort against the bottom side shows just where we are at.

At a time with so much on the line....

But we are somehow mentally weak
That’s alright we know we are on the right track finally, even if morons like Damian Barrett dares to lump us and Teague in with North Melbourne, vindication is coming and it will be all the sweeter with the repudiation of the doubters.

I was actually heartened by the game style after halftime as we went back to playing the style that held us In good stead late last year.

Alright let me throw something out there and Arrow lets see if this bridges the gap between your side and others....

I am fortunate enough to be very good friends with a former tennis player who won multiple major titles. Through him I also was lucky to associate with a number of other tennis pros. I remember asking (this was probably 15 years ago) why do you practice so much? Like these guys hit balls 5-6 hours a day every day...His response (and others gave the same answer) - it is all about muscle memory. So you learn to just play on auto pilot. Your body knows when there is a short ball you come in and hit the forehand down the line and set for the easy volley. You train hard so you play on instinct and that removes the number of errors.

Can we agree that we perform at an A grade level fleetingly because we don't have the continued learned experience yet? We need to practice more and more together, get games into the group so when you hear the call you know to handball forward or kick to the top of the square because that is where xyz will be. We are at the stage of thinking through each move, rather than it being muscle memory yet.

That is akin to a Father running away from his children because it is too hard.

I have words to describe your ilk but I fear it may get me in trouble. Can someone tell me if I post what I think of this turncoat, is there a filter that will catch the words??
Stop behaving like a bully and pull your head in you sanctimonious twit

Back