Autopsy Rd 17 Blues lose to the bottom side after awful first half

Who played well in Round 17 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. Instead Teague will give them a nice talking to and make sure their feelings aren’t hurt.
Yes we have to tip toe through the tulip and make sure its all sparkles, rainbows and unicorns for them. We have to look pass the fact that they get paid a absolute butt load to play and play with heart and conviction. But what out lot churn out is def not worth paying for!

I understand it too

But what is more surprising, how would any of us here know what a player is thinking

We can form an opinion of a physical act, is or isn't an elite kick, etc

But mindset?

Anyway, some healthy debate

Bring on next game/year

There’s more than enough evidence to make a judgement on how this team deals with expectation.

Expectations of winning close games? 5 from 8 under 10 points I believe ?

Not to bad from a side that was bottom 4 last year and on the way up

It’s disingenuous to suggest that we weren’t pretty fortunate in a few of those.

If you’re pleased with our efforts this year, that’s fine. I’m not.

Fortunate in close wins, poor in close losses, fairly one sided

We were poor in a few of the close wins.
The Port loss was one of our better games for the year.

From a mental point of view, the Cats (last quarter), the Essendon and Sydney wins were all poor, as were the Melbourne and Giants losses.
You could probably put the North win in there too. 4 goals up at quarter time, got cute, stopped doing basics, let them back in.

We were poor in a few of the close wins.
The Port loss was one of our better games for the year.

From a mental point of view, the Cats (last quarter), the Essendon and Sydney wins were all poor, as were the Melbourne and Giants losses.
You could probably put the North win in there too. 4 goals up at quarter time, got cute, stopped doing basics, let them back in.

Yeah a s**t 7 wins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest indicator to me as to "what went wrong" was our attitude post-game. We didn't look like a team who had just thrown their finals chances, we looked like a team who never really expected to make finals and felt that we'd done enough this year.

The question is where that attitude came from.

Was it from the players themselves? A young group who are finding their way in a challenging year and are just relieved to not be in the bottom 3 again.

Or was it from higher up? A trickling down from the coaches that, no matter the result, "we're proud of what we've achieved this year", which took the wind out of our sails.

There's a pretty good chance that other results don't go the way we needed them to go, and winning this game and next may not have got us into the 8 anyway. It's still pretty ******* ordinary that we dropped the ball ourselves rather than giving it everything.

Maybe our players are just tired. Cripps absolutely is. Levi is. Betts is. Docherty is (and presumably shouldn't have played given he had a question mark over that calf during the week).

And the reality is - even if we'd busted our gut to get into the 8, with those players well below their best we'd have probably been demolished in week 1 of finals against either WC or Geelong (pending results next week).

Massive props to guys like Walsh, Murph, Ed, Newnes, Gibbons, Simmo, Weiters, Jones and Plowman - who have continued to put in strong efforts week in week out. Some of them would have like to have had more impact, but they never dropped their heads.

Going to be interesting to see how we approach the final round. Brissy have a top 2 spot sewn up, so not much for them to play for. We're out of the race, so not much for us to play for. Both sides have a strong case to rest senior players - either for a finals campaign or to eliminate the risk of injury before pre-season. If we come out and cough up a 5-goal start to an undermanned Brisbane side, I don't think I'll be able to force myself to watch us try and come back.

Unless we PLAY THE KIDS. Cottrell back in, Honey back in, Owies back in, O'Brien to have another run, Kennedy and Polson to play for their futures.

Rest Doc, rest Cripps, rest Murph, rest Ed. If Simmo or Betts are going on next year, rest them - if they're retiring then we should call it ahead of the game and give them a final run. Drop Gov.

Let the next gen take the reins for one dead rubber and challenge them to step up. Shake up the positions a little too.

Plowman, Jones, Polson
Cottrell, Weitering, Williamson
SPS, Setters, O'Brien
TDK, Walsh, Fisher
Cunners, McKay, Newnes
Owies, Casboult, Honey
I/C: Kennedy, Gibbons, Simmo*, Betts*
*only if retiring, otherwise look to Ramsay, Philp or Phillips.
I wouldn't drop gov I'd make him play half back and work his arse off

My Dad who is one eyed Carlton has seen every flag live since 68 and used to go to every single game when we lived in Melbourne including practice matches has had a major stroke tonight and may not make it through the next 48 hours 😭 Stuff you Blues you couldn’t let him enjoy one last win. 😡 I was hoping he would get to see one more flag, doesn’t look like it now 🙁
Sorry to hear, my Blue friend. Best wishes to you and your family at this difficult time.

We need cripps to go back to winning the ball and stop complaining about free kicks etc. He has been putrid this year (for his standards)
We need to put some speed and skill around him so he feels like his contested wins will have some further benefit downfield.

id prefer dow take the set shot over cripps these days - or just let the full back get a ball out of the bag and take the kick-in.
On this .. we know we are a terrible set shot Side -- how do we let sides score or get to a scoring position so easily from kick ins -- surely player are setting up for that scenario early ..

Coronavirus restrictions has essentially meant mid-forward connection cannot be trained
And it’s ordinary for almost every team. Dew conditions at northern grounds aren’t helping anyone. Almost every game is Groundhog Day: slippery, scrappy football in the contest with quick handballs and kick and hope tactics.

No I don't think so. Did you see Teague's press conference? He was not impressed by it. That was very clear.

I loved Gibbs. But if I was in a senior position at Carlton I would be tearing up any contract Murphy and Simpson have for 2021. That was putting their friendship with a player over the club. You don't do that after a loss. Particularly after losing to the bottom team to end your finals hunt.

Go do that at Clarko's Hawks or Leigh Matthews Brisbane. Matthews threw players across the locker room for a lot less.
There is no way this was spur of the moment. It would have been discussed beforehand, not necessarily appproved by all, but discussed.

Yeah but players in general don't care as much as they used to, that's the reality of it. They are all mates with the other teams, they have lives outside of footy, they request trades to rivals and prioritise themselves, that's just the reality of this generation.

Richmond tell jokes at 3QT and never seem to take life too seriously, they win a lot.

I think the playing for the jumper and sulking after a loss mentality is gone in 2020.
Permeates all sports, go to the biggest paycheck and best opportunity to capitalise on your brand off field/court. There is too much at stake to be a pig or unsociable anymore.

The Richmond example is a trained mindfulness strategy, live in the moment and don’t stress about what has already happened. Seems to work for them, failed for Essington.

Winners are grinders.

Absolutely you can if you are affected by mental fatigue.

The recent part of the fixture has been our worst. We have played:

Sunday - 4 day break - Thursday - 5 day break - Tuesday - 5 day break - Sunday. The crows on the other hand have played:

Bye - total of 9 days break - Tuesday - 7 day break - Tuesday - 5 day break - Sunday.

Whilst both teams were coming off a 5 day break, the lead up to that was very different. It just added up to us being as flat as a sh*t-carter's hat mentally.

We saw the signs last week of mental fatigue in the first half. Luckily our physical fitness got us out of jail. Again yesterday, our physical fitness saw us run out the game better and win the second half by nearly 5 goals.

Jimmae (how do I tag him?) wrote a post at half time in the Swans game about CNS fatigue which I think he must have deleted later as I can't find it. It's no surprise that guys like Gibbons and Cuners looked sharper than most others, having not played all the games.
We would have seen this coming and staffed the games accordingly. Fyfe has rested forward, loads of players managed, Neale and Pendlebury are freaks with deep midfield support, players have ‘enjoyed’ resting while injured like DeGoey and Treloar, Bryce hasn’t played anything

You cannot tell me that the likes of Murphy can’t have been more effective on Sunday-if they were rested in other games and we trusted some of the young fellas to lift. This was a failure of the MC that I hope they learn from. There is every likelihood that 2021 will be COVID influenced or that the AFL will fall in love with the Footy Festival idea.

Back