Autopsy Rd 17 Blues lose to the bottom side after awful first half

Who played well in Round 17 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
I found it weird but when you think about it, it was a nice thing to do. Would have been no issue if we won and that is the big issue isnt it. If we win, none of it matters (im not sure the club would make a big issue of it, just express to the players exactly what i said - the optics of it can be questioned by others when we dont turn up to play. Play well and win and no-one can question it)
Absolutely, but we had planned to do it before the game so what were the players supposed to do spit the dummy because we lost and not do it, would have made us look petulant and like the biggest bad sports in the history of the game, people need to concentrate on the game itself not the aftermath.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Sadly my Dad passed away last night
The most passionate one eyed Carlton supporter every year he was full of optimism
Lived through our greatest eras
Always says the 72 grand final was the best and most pure football game he ever saw
I know when we finally get that 17 you’ll be up there having a few beers and singing the song.
Da da da da da ...
That’s tough mate hope your doing ok, I lost my father on April 1st and I’m still suffering, he was a Cats supporter although he did buy himself, me and my brother Carlton memberships when we were younger just so we could go to the footy together, the game against the Cats was a very tough time for me as we always watched it together and while the win was sweet it was unfortunately bittersweet not having him there with me.

I’d love to tell you it gets easier but I’m just not there yet, anyway my condolences and just keep a hold of the good times you had together mate.👍

Earls Smother

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
How could it possibly have been a surprise, I’m locked away in my home with minimal contact with anyone and no contact with the club and yet I heard they were planning on chairing Gibbs off after the game, so how could anyone at Carlton possibly of been surprised by it.

An Adelaide poster said it had been discussed with Sloane and he was fine with the Carlton blokes carrying Gibbs off.

So yes, the players knew what was going on. Stuff the rest of the hierarchy who think they are more important than they actually are. The game is about the players, they have given up a lot to keep us all entertained this year, let them carry their mate off.

As long as they win the following week ;)

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
We saw in the second half against the Crows the game structure that suits McGovern and when he plays his best footy, a crowded forward 50 and high press is not the set up for McGovern nor will it be for Charlie which gives me hope that it will revert to the set up of late last year when we run out in Rd 1 2021.
I have a feeling we will see that more attacking style when it can be reinforced in training, when players display an improved level of effectiveness by foot and we have more speed!

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
I do, i hate it when we are down or playing sh*t and a player kicks a goal and celebrates like his sh*t dont stink. FFS, you've played sh*t all day, celebrate with your teammates and try and get the team going rather than twirling your fingers at the fans and telling them how good you are.
1600145570600.gif

Triniboy

All Australian
Sep 26, 2011
Caribbean
AFL Club
Carlton
You need to read my post in the context of replying to Arrow's post below:

Has nothing to do with mentality, it is coaching and structure

Could players be frustrated with aspects of the gameplan? Absolutely

But you can't have mental weakness one weak and then mental strength the following after winning, coming from behind after being 7 goals down

In fact that suggests the side believes that it can beat anyone on a given day

This starts with Teague

I was simply stating that there can be a mental aspect to poor performance, rather than it all being on the coaching and structures. We quite obviously came out flat - more mentally than physically - as we won the second half by 5 goals.
Agree with most however ya don’t have 22 players switched off mentally at the same time.
when you have a player (Gibbs) on his own collecting easy possessions and creating drive, midfield getting smashed and forwards falling over each other...ya make changes...nothing forthcoming from the coaches box in the first quarter...wtf..
It’s all about minimising your opposition ball time and scoring opportunities.
Both teams have equal numbers on field, if yr getting smashed try to at least change the tempo by everyone manning up or load the back 70m to minimise damage...not many goals are kicked from outside 60.
I feel our coaching staff are deficient...

Back