Autopsy Rd 17 Blues undersized and overwhelmed

Who played well for Carlton in Round 17?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Suppose at this point, we have nothing to lose by playing kids. The club should have an idea by now whether Teague is the coach for us going forwards or not, and let him prepare the squad accordingly, by playing more kids etc.

Having this current question mark around the coach and his future in limbo is not a healthy place for the club to be in.

Finals are now off the table, we can still salvage something from the season, but a lot of it depends on the status of Teague and his position for next year etc ?

As long as Teague is in limbo, he will still be I coaching survival mode and not play as many kids as we hope.

At that early stage of the rebuild you need to get currency (you can’t rely on just 3-4 picks a year per draft) and SOS didn’t have many options as much of the list didn’t have currency - so he did what he had to do

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That would be good if he used that currency in the draft, we then traded for two injury prone players and what do you know, one was gone after two years and the other will have played 41 games in 5 seasons for us.

Haven't had time to watch much VFL this year, but several keen stalwart VFL watchers seem very keen on Honey, Ramsay, and Kemp etc.

But as I say, its hard to see them getting games whilst Teague is fighting for his coaching future.

We have to drop the likes of Setterfield and Martin, i have to admit my faith in Teague will be shaken if both of them are in the seniors next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive seen this line thrown around a bit, Saads contract according to the media (who like to exaggerate) is $650,000 per year, how is that elite midfield dollars?

$650,000 is not huge money at All.

Saad is top 5 in our BnF at the moment. It really is a crapshoot after Walsh and Weitering. He is certainly worth the money he is on.

Haven't had time to watch much VFL this year, but several keen stalwart VFL watchers seem very keen on Honey, Ramsay, and Kemp etc.

But as I say, its hard to see them getting games whilst Teague is fighting for his coaching future.

We have to drop the likes of Setterfield and Martin, i have to admit my faith in Teague will be shaken if both of them are in the seniors next week.

And that shall be the reason of Teague's downfall.

Even if Teague wins all remaining matches( excluding Port) and we miss finals, he will be in trouble.

Win all remaining match and or make finals and he might survive
That’s never gonna happen … this group just cannot win against half decent opposition …

We can’t play Setterfield, Kennedy and Cripps in the same team… because Setters was brought in as a second option to Cripps to give Cripps a break now and then and Kennedy was brought in to be back up for Cripps or Setters in the middle of the ground.
Add curnow to that four and there is no point of difference -- except intensity .

Saad is top 5 in our BnF at the moment. It really is a crapshoot after Walsh and Weitering. He is certainly worth the money he is on.
Probably only behind Jones as our most consistent performer .. if Mackay took his opportunities and showed more intensity when the ball hit the
Ground throughout the season he'd be third for mine -- I do believe he prefers roaming up the wing as the get out kick and coming back with the play than running out of the goalsqaure . Looked good last night running up wing impacting the game but due to circumstances left no target to kick to

Ive seen this line thrown around a bit, Saads contract according to the media (who like to exaggerate) is $650,000 per year, how is that elite midfield dollars?

$650,000 is not huge money at All.
I think that he is talking about Williams... whose contract is also subject to being exagerated in the media. If we paid our players what the media trots out as their salaries, the AFL would be kicking down the door looking for our books.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if Teague wins all remaining matches( excluding Port) and we miss finals, he will be in trouble.

Win all remaining match and or make finals and he might survive
Ross Lyon has said a number of times it's about the support crew and he would hand pick his team of elite guys he know he can work with .... with the shambles our football department and development seems to have been over the last few years it makes me think of the club will take the easy option and let Lyon take over and secure staff etc set it up ... no saying I think this is the way but may be the easiest option for the board to sell.. What you think ?

Agree - and the Saad vs Nick Hind (Ess) comparison in the media continues to be overblown with most of the media falling over themselves to state how Carlton got dudded and Essendon have the next Bruce Doull.

I liked the exchange on 3AW a few weeks back where Matthew Lloyd was rating his best pickups for the year. Of course he included Hind and trotted out the line that 'he's been so much better than Saad'.

Sam McClure immediately called him out on it and said 'do you reckon ? You think Hinds been better than Saad ?'.

Lloyd then backtracked and sheepishly said 'Ok - well they've been equally as good for their new clubs".

Ross Lyon has said a number of times it's about the support crew and he would hand pick his team of elite guys he know he can work with .... with the shambles our football department and development seems to have been over the last few years it makes me think of the club will take the easy option and let Lyon take over and secure staff etc set it up ... no saying I think this is the way but may be the easiest option for the board to sell.. What you think ?

I'm a Ross Lyon guy. Bring him and he'll bring his crew, which may involve Lenny.

Stated my view on the Teague situation and I believe Lyon would currently be the number 1 contender

I'm a Ross Lyon guy. Bring him and he'll bring his crew, which may involve Lenny.

Not if there's a risk that our average scoring rate in games becomes 50-70 points. Don't care whether you get a couple of more wins, that's not Aussie Rules to me, may as well go and watch a soccer game. I don't want to be seeing defensive slogs every week. Boring.

Not if there's a risk that our average scoring rate in games becomes 50-70 points. Don't care whether you get a couple of more wins, that's not Aussie Rules to me, may as well go and watch a soccer game. I don't want to be seeing defensive slogs every week. Boring.

Elite defence is beautiful to watch. With his strongest lists, he had a great balance of offence and defence. Only goes ultra-defensive with s**t lists, and pulls of pretty decent results.

Personally, I just want to be a team that wins more than they lose and play finals. Whatever the cost, whomever must be sacrificed.

Having time on the sidelines watching games and even the progression of swans through ball movement -- I doubt he would go all defensive if he had the cattle -- he does seem to have been a great motivator over the journey ..

Elite defence is beautiful to watch. With his strongest lists, he had a great balance of offence and defence. Only goes ultra-defensive with sh*t lists, and pulls of pretty decent results.

I know that you need a balance but for me that should be tipped in favour of attack. I really don't care what the opposition score is as long as we score more than them. I'd rather see Harry kick 5 goals from a team total of 15 than see him kick 2 of 7. Scoring is what brings the game alive. It's what always made Aussie rules a more exciting game than the others. We had a very unique game at one time.

All i know is that I'm happier to win 110-100 than 70-60

I know that you need a balance but for me that should be tipped in favour of attack. I really don't care what the opposition score is as long as we score more than them. I'd rather see Harry kick 5 goals from a team total of 15 than see him kick 2 of 7. Scoring is what brings the game alive. It's what always made Aussie rules a more exciting game than the others. We had a very unique game at one time.

All i know is that I'm happier to win 110-100 than 70-60

That's fair, although given we are currently 6-10, the circumstances are extenuating.

I'm also disappointed in the MC (again...) for disrespectful selection and a lack of overall integrity.

We lose Levi Casboult pre-game so Setterfield is chosen? Why? On the back of no matches in 4 weeks and a dodgy hand.

That's disrespectful to guys who have been toiling away like Honey, Ramsay and Kemp. Let alone Fisher who is infinitely more talented and useful on the wing.

Will. Setterfield. Is. Not. An. Automatic. Selection.
7 fit blokes to choose from.

- Cotts
- Honey
- Ramsay
- Kemp
- Fisher
- Carroll
- LOB

Which would you pick?

That's fair, although given we are currently 6-10, the circumstances are extenuating.

I can't argue with that, Just really pointing out a preference, at the end of the day we end up having to accept the direction the club takes us in. If he was appointed coach I'd then back him because really, you have no other choice other than hope you get some success. I'm not doubting his capabilities as a coach here, just a style.

Back