Autopsy Rd 17 Blues undersized and overwhelmed

Who played well for Carlton in Round 17?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Really, we lose two talls before the game and have to replace them with midsized players. And people were still expecting to win the game?

We have Casboult and Jones in, and we kick straight... we win... too easy yeah? Nope... the cats are an aging talented side.

As for sacking Teague... yeah nah.

Geelong had Cameron out, we have the colman medal leader, none of Geelong's big forwards fired and we got smashed because we still were not good enough. Because our skills let us down badly. Trust me Casboult’s 7odd hitouts and half a goal would have made no difference. Curnow would have.

I'm speechless if you think this loss had anything to do with mental toughness. Try putting things into perspective rather than reading from a rehearsed script after a loss.

When 13 of your first 14 shots on goal are points that’s between the ears, nothing to do with coaching or tactics or being undersized or playing players we shouldn’t or playing players out of position or any other reason you might want to come up with.

When 13 of your first 14 shots on goal are points that’s between the ears, nothing to do with coaching or tactics or being undersized or playing players we shouldn’t or playing players out of position or any other reason you might want to come up with.

And it's relevant only to us? We sit 12th for goal accuracy, had some great conversion games and poor ones, across all opponents

Demons 14th, Dockers last, are both these teams mentally weak?

Didn't mind the booing of Henderson personally. He didn't show much respect to the club in the way he left, so stuff him.

Didn't like it with Tuohy, though. We pushed him out and when he wanted to stay, booing someone in that situation is boorish.
Booing regardless of how and why a player left the club is odious. I called it childish but a child needs to learn how to be a tool from older people around him/her. Just don't. Only exception was Campo to *. Boo.

Didn't mind the booing of Henderson personally. He didn't show much respect to the club in the way he left, so stuff him.

Didn't like it with Tuohy, though. We pushed him out and when he wanted to stay, booing someone in that situation is boorish.

I'm glad you recognise this with Tuohy, he is on the record as saying he wanted to stay at Carlton:
It was sub-par, very sub-par. Almost insulting.
It made it virtually impossible (to stay). Perhaps I was a victim of circumstance. The club’s going in a certain direction and that’s been very clearly documented.
I was very happy there, but it was made clear to me that I might need to look at my options.

Geelong supporters love him, and I don't need to tell you guys that he's hard as nails, loves a goal and seems like the life of the party around the club. I always liked him at Carlton and am so happy we got him, but there's no doubt he would have liked the opportunity to be a one club player.

Booing regardless of how and why a player left the club is odious. I called it childish but a child needs to learn how to be a tool from older people around him/her. Just don't. Only exception was Campo to *. Boo.
Nah don't agree. It's part of the theatre of sport to me.

And it's relevant only to us? We sit 12th for goal accuracy, had some great conversion games and poor ones, across all opponents

In this game the players allowed the need to apply scoreboard pressure get to them. As you say they’ve had some great conversion games, the weekend wasn’t one of them. Early misses can compound on the next guy to take his shot, getting out of your own head is important.

In this game the players allowed the need to apply scoreboard pressure get to them. As you say they’ve had some great conversion games, the weekend wasn’t one of them. Early misses can compound on the next guy to take his shot, getting out of your own head is important.

That's true, it can have a flow on effect, for all clubs, so I wouldn't call it mentally weak

Just don’t get booing an ex-player for any reason. Get some may see it as parochial, but don’t see it that way.

Imagine if you saw someone you used to work with and they started booing you because you changed jobs. Be pretty strange. Think it’s time to move on from seeing players as something other than people making a living and wanting to be happy. They’re like the rest of us.

And for those that see it as parochial, on the one hand Hendo is booed yet Harry is praised. But if Hendo didn’t go there would be no Harry.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just don’t get booing an ex-player for any reason. Get some may see it as parochial, but don’t see it that way.

Imagine if you saw someone you used to work with and they started booing you because you changed jobs. Be pretty strange. Think it’s time to move on from seeing players as something other than people making a living and wanting to be happy. They’re like the rest of us.

And for those that see it as parochial, on the one hand Hendo is booed yet Harry is praised. But if Hendo didn’t go there would be no Harry.

There's not much to get it's just letting someone know we remember you turning your back on the club and trying to make you somewhat uncomfortable as a result. It doesn't go any deeper than that imo.

Comparing sport to everyday jobs in society is always a bad comparison, they're not the same as a normal workplace and we can't pretend they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's not much to get it's just letting someone know we remember you turning your back on the club and trying to make you somewhat uncomfortable as a result. It doesn't go any deeper than that imo.

Comparing sport to everyday jobs in society is always a bad comparison, they're not the same as a normal workplace and we can't pretend they are.

We’ll need to agree to disagree on this one, C29.

It’s a workplace, playing AFL is a full time job.

And just don’t see the appeal in wanting to make someone feel uncomfortable for a bit of fun.

Stop trying to tell everyone what to do..

We're enough of a nanny state as it is..
You want to try and take away people passion for their club also?

If supporters want to boo Henderson & Tuohy, let them boo Henderson & Tuohy..
They didn't care they were laughing and got the last laugh on the day anyway..

Go Football!!!

Lol, you can be passionate without wanting to humiliate someone. Cheer when Harry kicks a goal etc.

Got nothing to do with being a nanny state.

But this is one where posters have set views so let’s move.

I like when everyone boos someone, it's obnoxious school boy behavior, brings me back to the good old days

Stop trying to tell everyone what to do..

We're enough of a nanny state as it is..
You want to try and take away people passion for their club also?

If supporters want to boo Henderson & Tuohy, let them boo Henderson & Tuohy..
They didn't care they were laughing and got the last laugh on the day anyway..

Go Football!!!

Geez, you rule easy, Kyle.

and 10 of those were basic shots under zero pressure that should be gobbled up by anyone prepared to get paid to play footy.. First quarter can not even blam fatigue.

Henderson was being pushed out by SOS to hit the first round hard and both parties agreed sitting it out was for the best.

Remember him being one of the few players at reserves watching the abomination of a team filled with Whiley, Jaksch and Watson getting pumped. Copped a bad rap in that terrible 2015 season

Resulted in us getting H so I am unsure why fans hold anything against him.

Coaches' Votes

10 - Samuel Walsh (CARL)
8 -
Zach Tuohy (GEEL)
6 - Tom Stewart (GEEL)
2 - Jacob Weitering (CARL)
2 -
Mark O'Connor (GEEL)
1 - Cameron Guthrie (GEEL)
1 - Isaac Smith (GEEL)

Can't believe Weiters only got 2

Coaches' Votes

10 - Samuel Walsh (CARL)
8 -
Zach Tuohy (GEEL)
6 - Tom Stewart (GEEL)
2 - Jacob Weitering (CARL)
2 -
Mark O'Connor (GEEL)
1 - Cameron Guthrie (GEEL)
1 - Isaac Smith (GEEL)

Can't believe Weiters only got 2
O'Connor??? Guess Chris Scott doesn't have any Maccas vouchers to hand out for encouragement. Got 13 possessions and held Crippa to 4 possessions less than his season average. Those votes belong to Weiters.

Interesting both coaches thought Tuohy's game was better than Stewarts. Not my thoughts at the ground but after watching the replay I would agree.

I dislike comparing down. Why not aspire to being inside the top 4 for shot conversion, instead of sitting inside the bottom 6?
Yes.

Demons have only just gotten out of their funk, realised that they're strong. They've still a distance to be as good as they should be, and they've dropped games due to inconsistent kicking at goal.

We have seen, twice, that Fremantle are mentally weak. They got pulverized against us early in the season because Fyfe and Lobb were out and they were away; each excuse they had for the result battered away at them like a gale, and they dropped their heads and kicked themselves out of the game.

Against us, with finals on the line, they proceed to kick 4 behinds in the first term and 8 behinds before their first goal. When we kick like that, we are criticized and criticize ourselves; why should they be any different?

One more thing...

This is an eminently fixable thing. It requires hours of extra training per player during preseason and during the season, but goalkicking does not need to be high intensity for it to work. The reason why players like Eddie and Fev (and Dunstall, and Gunston, and Breust; I can go on) were such good shots and had such magnificent goalsense isn't because they're freaks or have a supernatural ability to know where the goals are. It's because above other players and outside of regular training, they practiced it. Trick shots. Ranges. Snaps. Bananas. Torps. Dropkicks. Into the wind. With the wind. Hundreds to thousands of shots.

So, why don't clubs do it? Because there's other demands on their time, and because they feel that other factors can solve the problem. It isn't as though clubs don't practice goalkicking, and our club is as you say not the worst; it may simply not be seen as the colossal ******* issue it is, or at least not as much of an issue as other things.

But goalkicking has actively lost us games we would otherwise have won. Dot the I's, cross the T's, then worry about such complexities as a zone defense.

Gary Lyon says he's never seen a defender play Hawkins as well as Weiters did...

Weitering played him from behind … and he would either hold that position and hold him under the ball and mark or spoil or, and this is what I loved most about it, and you could see it at the ground, at the right time he would just dart around from the back to the front.

“That one was one of his great skills. He would have back position on Hawkins, read the ball in flight and be so quick to get around the front. It was great to watch.

And yes, in THIS instance we care about Gary Lyon's opinion... :p

Back