Autopsy Rd 17 Blues undersized and overwhelmed

Who played well for Carlton in Round 17?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

3rd quarter was inexcusable, lazy garbage that really cost us the game.

The other 3 quarters and the effort was mostly fine by me, but it goes back to the question as to why we cannot play 4 quality, consistent quarters undrr Teague.

Hopefully the Internal club review can spot this problem and hopefully get the people and systems in place to rectify it.

I am really feeling crestfallen though, despite our late losses, I expected better from the boys today.
Am I too naive or optimistic?
Naive and optimistic as a good Blues supporter should be

Has Kemp been playing in the midfield at VFL level? Probably the obvious replacement for Setterfield.
Key back, and has been doing really well, just closes players down and looks very confident with the ball. Shame they didn't play him instead of Jones today & Honey instead of Setters. Think it would have been a better-balanced side & Honey is on form. Carroll has also had a couple of great games lately, but might be a little undersized still

Not a bad read this thread. Some good robust debate.

Geelong are superbly strictly coached. Their style sucks but it beats shitty/flakey teams like Carlton fairly easily.
Think this is spot on. Walsh was very good. Weitering won his matchup but imo you played into our hands.

Allowing the +1 behind the ball made getting through us very hard. When you got through the zone scoring was easy but we managed to stop the supply. Reckon our ground ball prolificacy made it hard for Teague.

He mentioned it at HT so even up our +1 and you lose the +1 at the contest or in our forward line and given how we were winning the ball at secondary contests and were getting it in more often that’d be a hard risk to take.

Reckon a fit and firing Curnow up forward is the key for you guys. McKay is performing very well as the lone target. Having a good foil will make you and him so much more potent.

Loss surely means Teagues career is done if Clarko is available
Clarko seemed quite emphatic this week he would be at the Hawks in 2022. Interesting all the talking heads in the media think he is 'gettable'.

Key back, and has been doing really well, just closes players down and looks very confident with the ball. Shame they didn't play him instead of Jones today & Honey instead of Setters. Think it would have been a better-balanced side & Honey is on form. Carroll has also had a couple of great games lately, but might be a little undersized still

Size doesn’t matter much if we are playing Carroll (or Ramsay) off a wing.

Reckon one has to come in for Setterfield next week.

Lots of posts about players I want to agree with, until they add the dumbest line “so so should never wear the navy blue again”. I think you lose some cred for writing that, Setters, Levi, Martin don't pick themselves the MC do, if we actually had a credible match committee; perhaps the players would actually be worried about being dropped etc due to lack of effort.

Hawthorn look likely to finish 2nd last this season.

Is Clarkson really the coach we need if we part ways with Teague ?

If we have to make a change, I am very very keen on Adem Yze.
I am not sure we would go down the path of an untried coach again.

This is true.

Apparently we have a bunch of players we simply can't play (Honey, Ramsay, LOB, Kemp, etc) so Setterfield has to come in.

Yet last year we moved on Goddard, Kreuzer, Macreadie, Silvagni and Moore. To replace them we added Oscar McDonald and... Parks, who is massively undersized. Then Mirkov who is a long term project midyear.

Goddard and Moore would have played today.
Moore would not have played today

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This is true.

Apparently we have a bunch of players we simply can't play (Honey, Ramsay, LOB, Kemp, etc) so Setterfield has to come in.

Yet last year we moved on Goddard, Kreuzer, Macreadie, Silvagni and Moore. To replace them we added Oscar McDonald and... Parks, who is massively undersized. Then Mirkov who is a long term project midyear.

Goddard and Moore would have played today.

Cannot speak on behalf of the other players, but I firmly believe that the club's conservative approach to Kemp is the right one.

A kid with as much talent and upside as him, we as a club simply cannot rush him in prematurely until we know for sure that he is physically (and mentally) ready for AFL games. I will back the club's call on Kemp.

Hawthorn look likely to finish 2nd last this season.

Is Clarkson really the coach we need if we part ways with Teague ?

If we have to make a change, I am very very keen on Adem Yze.

Still developing decent young players, but I reckon we need to go in another direction.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we take a coach that is outside the few we have been talking about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a bad read this thread. Some good robust debate.

Think this is spot on. Walsh was very good. Weitering won his matchup but imo you played into our hands.

Allowing the +1 behind the ball made getting through us very hard. When you got through the zone scoring was easy but we managed to stop the supply. Reckon our ground ball prolificacy made it hard for Teague.

He mentioned it at HT so even up our +1 and you lose the +1 at the contest or in our forward line and given how we were winning the ball at secondary contests and were getting it in more often that’d be a hard risk to take.

Reckon a fit and firing Curnow up forward is the key for you guys. McKay is performing very well as the lone target. Having a good foil will make you and him so much more potent.
Always nice to have a thoughtful opposition poster, rather than a s**t-stirrer etc. Enjoy the win; good luck come finals

Course he is, Hawks want to clear the air and save $1.2m
My gut feel is he goes somewhere (hopefully to us)
Well if he is not at Hawthorn next year i hope he is at Collingwood.

Wow who voted for Setters he was awful. No desperation, doesn't attack the ball and overall has gone backwards.

Match committee and coaching a huge worry replacing cas and jonesy with 2 small/med types bizarre.
Good effort and first half was pretty good despite poor kicking. Last half not great.
Walsh and Weiters outstanding.
Setters, Martin, Fogarty, Willo all up for commission. Kemp, Ramsay, Parkes, Honey all should be considered. Setters hasn't done enough in ressies to deserve a game and again games gifted and not deserved.
We need to overhaul coaching stafg

Well if he is not at Hawthorn next year i hope he is at Collingwood.
Pretty likely I reckon. I know little about him as a person/coach, great that he's won so many premierships - but he also ruined the game with the zone defence stuff. Use to be so much better to watch in the 90s/early 2000s.
Will be interesting to see how he goes for the rest of his coaching career

Putting our tactical issues to one side, the coaching of fundamentals at the Blues has been very poor over a number of years and was highlighted tonight.

We clearly don't train at match intensity as we consistently were broken down under pressure.

How many passes floated in and were picked off? How many handballs went to someone already hot? Too many players can only kick with one foot? No proper set shot routines.

Don't even talk about off the ball, Harry going 1 on 3, no-one was blocking for him.

On a positive note the mid field structure has improved since Barker left. Tackling and intent has improved since Barker left.

Note to review committee:
- Please sack the Match Committee
- Don't replace the head coach until you can get a top 4 level coach eg Clarkson.
- Get Mark Williams as senior assistant asap to teach fundamentals.

CB

Last edited:
If SPS continues not to defend and not apply any defensive pressure then he will be dropped again and more than likely not at Carlton next year

I think SPS won't be at Carlton next year myself. And he will probably star at his next club FML

If you need to blame someone for the loss today you can put it at the feet of list management.

Jack Silvagni was our backup ruck today FFS.

We've lacked tall defenders on the list for years. No, Marchy is not a key defender. We went into the season knowing Charlie was out most of the year. Pittonet broke down.

Casboult was injured and has been the sticky tape holding it all together - backup key defendee, forward and backup ruck.

At some stage the sticky tape was bound to run out of sticky.

This loss isn't on Teague. It's higher than that.
I suggested a number of KPP players, one of whom could also pinch hit in the ruck. Instead the club, knowing our deficiencies, went with a raw ruckman (injured) and a small defender (injured) at the MSD. That's at, as you say, the feet of our list management team.

As for tall defenders, we delisted 3 last year. Macreadie, BSOS, and Goddard. While hindsight is a wonderful thing, we wouldn't have put money on Marchbank going down injured again and our PSSS player going down with a stress fracture to his back early on in the season and being out for most of the year regardless.

If you need to blame someone for the loss today you can put it at the feet of list management.

Jack Silvagni was our backup ruck today FFS.

We've lacked tall defenders on the list for years. No, Marchy is not a key defender (even if he were healthy). We went into the season knowing Charlie was out most of the year. Pittonet broke down.

Casboult was injured and has been the sticky tape holding it all together - backup key defendee, forward and backup ruck.

At some stage the sticky tape was bound to run out of sticky.

This loss isn't on Teague. It's higher than that.
Sounds more like injuries than list management.
Regardless, I’m not looking to blame anyone for tonight’s performance. And I certainly wouldn’t blame the coach for eleven straight behinds.
My angst is on a much broader level.
I blame him for being incapable of getting this very talented side to play at their best for four quarters, week in week out. We’re an ordinary side due to a very ordinary coach.
Not the list.

Back