Preview Rd 17 Geelong V St Kilda Sat July 13 @ GMHBA 730 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy with those changes
View attachment 707461
We didn't drop a defender. Kolo had to go because of injury and, fortunately, we didn't bring in any other defender for him, which is good. It'll be intriguing going forward to see who they drop to bring Kolo back in. You would hope that it's at the cost of one of the under-performing defenders, like Henry, MOC or Bews.

We didn't drop a defender. Kolo had to go because of injury and, fortunately, we didn't bring in any other defender for him, which is good. It'll be intriguing going forward to see who they drop to bring Kolo back in. You would hope that it's at the cost of one of the under-performing defenders, like Henry, MOC or Bews.

We got a bit of preview of that decision by what they did 24 hours ago when Kolo was selected don’t you think?

Hi Guys,
Menegola....was he close this week?
does he come straight in or play in the 2's for some match fitness?

Big win coming for you guys this week!

He'd be three week away I'd think but definitely back. Our rubbish midfield performance most of the last couple of last couple of months (especially last 2 or 3 games) is screaming out for his ability and willingness to do the hard stuff.

Scarlett was interviewed on pre-game last week before the Dogs game and it was depressing to listen to, especially as it seemed to go against everything that's in the Cats bloodstream of playing the game.

TBH, I thought he said too much about our game-style, pretty much telling everyone how we will set up and play the game, which is also very reactionary. They prefer to see how the other team sets up, how the game unfolds early, etc. then go from there. It's no wonder we never seem to get off on a flyer. The Richmond game may have gone to their heads.

Pretty worrying when we are one of the most talented sides in the comp that now structurally has most bases covered. Have some basic systems in place for sure but anything else is overthinking and over complicating things for a group that specifically said after last season's poor exit they feel things should be kept simple with emphasis on winning one on one contests and backing themselves.

If Henderson is healthy and not selected ... it may be indicative of what the club has in mind for years end...

I'm not a huge fan but they may just be letting him put more games together. He has been in and out of our sides (mainly VFL obviously) a lot this year. And they may see him more of a Blicavs or Taylor replacement rather than a Kolo one which wouldn't be a bad call.

Game is even more important now with Collingwood knocking off West Coast, win this and we go 2 games and % clear again at the top.
I backed the Pies too. Have some big news regarding a few of their players.

Jack Steven too. Very good source but it'll wait for now.

I backed the Pies too. Have some big news regarding a few of their players.

Hmmm. Big news that would cause you to tip them against WC? Trying to imagine what that could possibly be but I'm struggling. I guess Grundy re-signing would count as positive news for them but I don't see why that would have inspired them to victory.

You've officially intrigued me sir.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bews has played two games since returning, the first on Betts, while keeping Betts goalless he kicked one himself and finished among our best, he was poor last week as were most of the team. O'Connor seems to have gone off the boil after being very good in the first ten games or so. In the season context I don't think "under-performing" is applicable to either.

Bews has played two games since returning, the first on Betts, while keeping Betts goalless he kicked one himself and finished among our best, he was poor last week as were most of the team. O'Connor seems to have gone off the boil after being very good in the first ten games or so. In the season context I don't think "under-performing" is applicable to either.

I don't disagree with your take here. But there is a concern for me with where MOC fits in the team at the moment if he's not playing back.

I currently don't see enough versatility in his game to play him further up the field. Really like him as a defender but think he looks lost playing through the middle or up forward.

To me, his accountability, one-on-one strength, elite fitness and willingness to run off and properly clear the defensive area are his biggest assets currently. I think he's exposed for his lack of accumulated footy nous (where to be, both with and without the ball) when he's not responsible for an opponent in D50.

Prior to 2019, I really didn't enjoy seeing Kolo pushed up onto the wing to maintain his place in the 22. Just seemed to limit his strengths and accentuate his weaknesses. And I fear this situation with Merrick could be heading the same way.

Will admit that the MC appear to see it very differently, though.

I don't disagree with your take here. But there is a concern for me with where MOC fits in the team at the moment if he's not playing back.

I currently don't see enough versatility in his game to play him further up the field. Really like him as a defender but think he looks lost playing through the middle or up forward.

To me, his accountability, one-on-one strength, elite fitness and willingness to run off and properly clear the defensive area are his biggest assets currently. I think he's exposed for his lack of accumulated footy nous (where to be, both with and without the ball) when he's not responsible for an opponent in D50.

Prior to 2019, I really didn't enjoy seeing Kolo pushed up onto the wing to maintain his place in the 22. Just seemed to limit his strengths and accentuate his weaknesses. And I fear this situation with Merrick could be heading the same way.

Will admit that the MC appear to see it very differently, though.
I think you are wrong. With O’Connor you are looking at someone still very early in
his career. Less than 3 years ago he had never played a game of Aussie rules and his
development is on a steep rise. Scott said earlier in the year that O’Connor may play
mid or forward this season and I believe he definitely has the class to be successful.
Going forward, I think his upside is huge and far greater than Bews who is only ever
going to be a small defender.

Gd thread open!!!

Get around it!!

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back