Autopsy Rd 17 Surging Blues beat Swans on their own turf

Who played well against the Swans in Round 17?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed.
At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old person (not aimed at you, Thy), I want more baulking and less “candy”.

And it’s not candy. It’s lollies.

And when I was a kid you got 10 lollies for an echidna, which was what we called a 5c piece ...
Was that back in the day when Shelbyville was called Morganville & men tied onions to their belts?

Not necessarily. It was a club wide plan to pump games and experience into the young players. Outside pressures changed that. We lost a few games we were entitled to win and if we did, everything would have been different.
True, the only thing I have against Bolton was his match day strategies. U see the new coach moving the magnets around. Bolts just didn’t seem to have much match day awareness?
I don’t know, I loved Bolts but was he the coach to take us to 17 or just the coach to create a tightly knit group?

Just looking at the Carlton 2019 Fixture and reflecting on the 4 wins we have notched up.
And wondering if we could add another 3.
Suns - 80% chance of win
Crows - 50/50
Eagles - 50/50
Richmond - 50/50
St Kilda - 70% win
Geelong - loss
It's so good to be at Round 18 and have so much too look forward to.
Knowing we are a real chance to win each game.
Getting our best players back in.
Looking forward to seeing De Luca, TDK and eventually Doc back on the park.
Who we draft in through the trade period.
Who will be confirmed as coach.
Good time to get on board, Blue Baggers.
First job, beat the Suns !!!

Congratulations on the hard fought win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players started as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 21 Bounces

E.Curnow 19 (2w)
Murphy 18 (3w)
Cripps 17
Walsh 15 (8w, 7i)
LOB 14 wing
Setterfield 13 wing
J.Silvagni 4
Fisher 3
Lang 1 wing
SPS 1 wing

Rucks:
Kreuzer 20
Casboult 1

Centre Clearances (per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
E.Curnow 3
Murphy 3
Cripps 1
Kreuzer 1
Walsh 1
LOB 1
Simpson 1

1st Half - 10

E.Curnow 9 (1w)
Murphy 9 (1w)
Cripps 8
Setterfield 8 wing
LOB 7 wing
Walsh 7 (4i, 3w)
J.Silvagni 2

Kreuzer 10

Final Term - 7

E.Curnow 7 (1w)
Murphy 7 (1w)
Cripps 6
Walsh 5 (4w, 1i)
LOB 3 wing
Setterfield 3 wing
J.Silvagni 1
Fisher 1
Lang 1 wing
SPS 1 wing

Kreuzer 6
Casboult 1

Sydney aren't much of a side, they have some good players but overall they didn't look much chop. That being said we applied good pressure, won the contested ball, used the ball ok. We won most stats which was good but we were wasteful in front of goal and going inside 50. Still very good to get a win.

Good to see we didn't give the opposition a lead this time and we started the game well. We didn't rotate the center group a lot which can be good and being the small SCG perhaps this was a fair thing to do but I don't see this being a good thing if we continue this way.

We probably could have blown them away a bit early but they defended well and our forward entries were a bit off.

It was another tick for teague, he won the game and we solved a problem of letting the opposition get up on us.

Newman - Had a few sloppy moments but played a really good game. He's a smart footballer, knows his way around out there and he's pretty hard at it. Good to see him have a good game.

Murphy - He's having a god run of form, he's looking a bit stronger and really fit. Playing some great footy.

Curnow - Just doing the grunt work in there and winning the hard ball and laying some solid tackles. Like him playing the ball hunting and close minding roles.

Kreuzer - They went in without a genuine ruckman and we made them pay, Kreuzer fairly dominant in there and found a lot of footy around the ground. He's going nicely at the moment.

Casboult - He's just looking really fit and playing good footy. Dropped a couple of sitters but took some rippers and his kicking was ok.

Walsh - Just keeps winning the footy, his kicking wasn't top shelf and he made a horrible decision to kick blindly up the middle from defence but overall his game was good. Showed the speed that he has and the genuine inside/outside complete package he will be.

Cripps - He was a bit rusty but he moved well. Finished the game with plenty of disposals.

Plowman - Thought he was pretty good. He and Newman were able to get lose in defence and cut the ball off pretty well at times.

Setterfield - Thought he looked miles off fitness wise and didn't handle the footy well. Like his intent to tackle and he laid some good ones. Needs to get himself fit.

McKay - Did some really good things but he was rusty.

Silvagni - Not much time in the middle this week but he played a fair bit of time height and he wont a lot of the ball and had a few shots. Just real clean with his hands, stands up in tackles well and dishes the ball off well. Very much one touch. I liked his game.

Fisher - Played better than he has but he needs to start running straight lines at the footy. Every time there is another player coming the other way he avoids the contact and fails to take possession of the footy. Needs to get this out of his game. He was ok but the physical side of his game needs to come on. A guy like him needs to learn to take the tackle and draw free kicks.

Simpson - Played a good game, seemed to be on Papley a bit and he just did really well.

Gibbons - Got up the field a lot but he just does not kick the ball well and IMO this is why it's taken him so long to be drafted.

Thomas - Was really good and really clean as he has been all year. Really like how he plays.

SPS - Don't mind him in defence. He's still too light physically. His ball use at times as good and he laid some good tackles.

O'Brien - Did some nice things but wasn't hugely involved.

Lang - Did some nice things but his tackling is terrible. Let quite a few blokes go.

Kennedy - Played mostly forward and it just didn't come his way. Wasn't a great game but it went to other players a lot.

Dow - Just not that much involved. Did a couple of nice things and I liked seeing him hit the footy hard at one point but his involvement in the game is really low.

Jones - Didn't start that well but he had a good game.

Goddard - Didn't get much of a sample size of him.

Watching the replay for the second time and have learnt the following:

The subscriber drop off after GOT has resulted in Foxtel trading their HD cameras for the Channel 7 cameras from the seventies. Could not tell who was who until they zoomed in.

Blakey is a deap ringer for Ephialtes the hunch back cripple from 300 ( the battle of Thermopylae). Will be a player.

Rampe cannot have a free paid against for arm chopping or holding a forward no matter what he does.

SCG is a terrible venue for footy. Should just be reserved little league.

Walsh has very little upside from here. Will just get coaches votes in 80% of his next 300 games

Carlton's run, handball and fast ball movement has a future

Grinding out an ugly win on the back of 22 players out working the opposition with no real stand out players is a big sign for the future.

Can't stand that the guy is put on such a pedestal when he is in reality a rule-breaking hack.

Credit to him for making a career out of it; bloody good at what he does.
Yes, there's a bit of the old clumsy Dustin Fletcher about him I reckon. Mauls a guy but makes it look like he has no control over his own limbs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, the only thing I have against Bolton was his match day strategies. U see the new coach moving the magnets around. Bolts just didn’t seem to have much match day awareness?
I don’t know, I loved Bolts but was he the coach to take us to 17 or just the coach to create a tightly knit group?
Great Bloke, loved by all, but how long can a group remain tightly knit if they dont experience victory. Eventually the enthusiasm drops and they go into self preservation mode.

Sydney aren't much of a side, they have some good players but overall they didn't look much chop. That being said we applied good pressure, won the contested ball, used the ball ok. We won most stats which was good but we were wasteful in front of goal and going inside 50. Still very good to get a win.

Good to see we didn't give the opposition a lead this time and we started the game well. We didn't rotate the center group a lot which can be good and being the small SCG perhaps this was a fair thing to do but I don't see this being a good thing if we continue this way.

We probably could have blown them away a bit early but they defended well and our forward entries were a bit off.

It was another tick for teague, he won the game and we solved a problem of letting the opposition get up on us.

Newman - Had a few sloppy moments but played a really good game. He's a smart footballer, knows his way around out there and he's pretty hard at it. Good to see him have a good game. was BOG for me, he wasn't manned up for a lot of it but you can only beat what you're put up against and he made the most of it. glad he stuck it up his old side. for mine, Jake Lloyd looks like the most overrated footy player in the country. Finds heaps of the ball but wouldn't say his disposal is much better than Newman (if at all).

Murphy - He's having a god run of form, he's looking a bit stronger and really fit. Playing some great footy. Murphy so good atm. Has to go on surely.

Curnow - Just doing the grunt work in there and winning the hard ball and laying some solid tackles. Like him playing the ball hunting and close minding roles.

Kreuzer - They went in without a genuine ruckman and we made them pay, Kreuzer fairly dominant in there and found a lot of footy around the ground. He's going nicely at the moment.

Casboult - He's just looking really fit and playing good footy. Dropped a couple of sitters but took some rippers and his kicking was ok.

Walsh - Just keeps winning the footy, his kicking wasn't top shelf and he made a horrible decision to kick blindly up the middle from defence but overall his game was good. Showed the speed that he has and the genuine inside/outside complete package he will be. Super game overall in tough conditions.

Cripps - He was a bit rusty but he moved well. Finished the game with plenty of disposals. Playing his role well. Dominates, forces the opposition to change and then frees it up for the others to win it (who he can actually rely on consistently now as Curnow/Murphy are very dependable).

Plowman - Thought he was pretty good. He and Newman were able to get lose in defence and cut the ball off pretty well at times. Yep Plowman is a see-saw for mine. played great but some weeks he comes across as "a" idiot.

Setterfield - Thought he looked miles off fitness wise and didn't handle the footy well. Like his intent to tackle and he laid some good ones. Needs to get himself fit. what a beast tackler though. damn son!

McKay - Did some really good things but he was rusty. could have 10 shots at goal when he's on. needs to do a Levi and go see Sav to fix his kicking.

Silvagni - Not much time in the middle this week but he played a fair bit of time height and he wont a lot of the ball and had a few shots. Just real clean with his hands, stands up in tackles well and dishes the ball off well. Very much one touch. I liked his game.

Fisher - Played better than he has but he needs to start running straight lines at the footy. Every time there is another player coming the other way he avoids the contact and fails to take possession of the footy. Needs to get this out of his game. He was ok but the physical side of his game needs to come on. A guy like him needs to learn to take the tackle and draw free kicks.

Simpson - Played a good game, seemed to be on Papley a bit and he just did really well.

Gibbons - Got up the field a lot but he just does not kick the ball well and IMO this is why it's taken him so long to be drafted.

Thomas - Was really good and really clean as he has been all year. Really like how he plays.

SPS - Don't mind him in defence. He's still too light physically. His ball use at times as good and he laid some good tackles.

O'Brien - Did some nice things but wasn't hugely involved.

Lang - Did some nice things but his tackling is terrible. Let quite a few blokes go. Terrible tackler. Iffy disposals. Seems like he's got a good attitude though.

Kennedy - Played mostly forward and it just didn't come his way. Wasn't a great game but it went to other players a lot. I think he's done well last few weeks but really it's nothing games from him until we see him play as a big-bodied mid like we need him to. There are better marking forwards on our list so I'm still hoping he can go into the midfield a bit more.

Dow - Just not that much involved. Did a couple of nice things and I liked seeing him hit the footy hard at one point but his involvement in the game is really low.

Jones - Didn't start that well but he had a good game.

Goddard - Didn't get much of a sample size of him. hope he stays on

Indeed.
At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old person (not aimed at you, Thy), I want more baulking and less “candy”.

And it’s not candy. It’s lollies.

And when I was a kid you got 10 lollies for an echidna, which was what we called a 5c piece ...
love the sentiment ralph but never heard of the echidna term - in keeping with both our thinking, how about you avatar with a good old aussie tv character?

Just looking at the Carlton 2019 Fixture and reflecting on the 4 wins we have notched up.
And wondering if we could add another 3.
Suns - 80% chance of win
Crows - 50/50
Eagles - 50/50
Richmond - 50/50
St Kilda - 70% win
Geelong - loss
It's so good to be at Round 18 and have so much too look forward to.
Knowing we are a real chance to win each game.
Getting our best players back in.
Looking forward to seeing De Luca, TDK and eventually Doc back on the park.
Who we draft in through the trade period.
Who will be confirmed as coach.
Good time to get on board, Blue Baggers.
First job, beat the Suns !!!
Even the Geelong game might be a 50/50. The cats are two games clear on top of the ladder, going into rd 23 it could be an absolute dead rubber for them with their sights firmly on finals.

love the sentiment ralph but never heard of the echidna term - in keeping with both our thinking, how about you avatar with a good old aussie tv character?
Fair point re the Australian tv character. I’m thinking maybe Claude the crow. I’ll get on to it later.

As for the echidna, I made that bit up. I was lucky to even see a 5c piece when I was a lad. Couldn’t tell you what animal was on one.

Cue “we were so poor ...”

Even the Geelong game might be a 50/50. The cats are two games clear on top of the ladder, going into rd 23 it could be an absolute dead rubber for them with their sights firmly on finals.

They wouldn't want to lose momentum.

With there being a bye before finals now, there is no need to rest players and tinkering with your set up may be a recipe for disaster heading into the first final.

without looking I think it might be the echidna on the 5c piece - claude the crow - absolutely perfect - he was an utter bastard! can you live up to his image?
Now you got me hankering to divebomb Mrs Fitzsimmons washing.....ahh those where the days of imagination
Norm The
Ol' Poss
Shirl
Liz

Sssssssstanley

Back