Preview Rd 17 - West Coast Eagles v Sydney Swans @ DS Sun 4:40 - #haawneyforheeney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Lads, ladettes, loyal minions and Tasmanian devils – let me introduce to you the Round 17 Sydney V. WCE Official* preview thread. Or rather – The #haawneyforheeney Round 17 Sydney vs. WCE Preview thread.
*pending AFL/Eddie-approval.
Let me preface this by saying that I don’t do serious. I’m sorry if you wanted this to be 100% serious, but I’m following the 2015 Sydney guide and only going half-arsed because that is #swanslike.

Ladder Positions
At the start of the year, West Coast Eagles VS. Sydney would not have been highlighted on many people’s calendars as an important game, but here we are, sitting (dangling) on fourth position, with this game being absolutely pivotal to our Top 4 aspirations. A quick look at our fellow Top 4 and Top 4 wannabes (WCE/Hawthorn/Not-Richmond because lol Tigers) shows that this game is crucial to securing Top 4 at the pointy end of the season.

This is a strange season indeed. Those hovering closest around the top 4 aren’t the names we are use to and probably won’t be the ones in Round 23 – but let’s have a quick look at their line-up anyway.

WCE: Sydney, Suns, Tasmania (DS), Fremantle, Western Bulldogs

Richmond: Fremantle, Tasmania, Adelaide (AO), Suns, Collingwood, Essendon

Western Bulldogs: Collingwood, Essendon, Power, Melbourne, WCE

GWS: Didn’t want to waste the space on Greater Waste of Space.

Split the win/lose as you wish, but IMO the Top 4 will contain Fremantle, Hawthorn, WCE and one of us/Richmond – so winning this may be the difference in the end between third, fourth or fifth.

Form – Sydney do you even AFL?
Perhaps the most uninspiring 11-4 team in the history of the V/AFL, Sydney have a hell of a lot to prove next week. Following an 89 point demolition at the hands of Tasmania, West Coast will prove to be a huge challenge in Perf. From the most boring win in history (Brisbane) to the most embarrassing loss in history (Tasmania), it’s been a strange year for Sydney fans. 2015 Sydney rarely show up for four quarters, or even one quarter, but have been able to escape scrutiny by facing bottom 8 sides or having someone concussed at the right moment (see: Luke Rd 1, Richards Rd 16.) Most Sydney fans will tell you not to believe the hype – others will tell you this team won’t win a premiership. Some think we are in second gear. I’m not getting in to that, so I’ll just post this:

WWLWL

Form – Weagles’ wonderful (w***er) web.
Watching the Weagles this year, they have been the definition of excitement and efficient. An average list, with an awesome gameplan, Simpson has been fantastic in executing an offensive style of football that relies heavily on locking the ball into the forward 50 and placing less reliance on a depleted backline. Admittedly I’ve only seen a few WCE games for the year, but the statistics as well as what I’ve seen have underlined that this team (barring 1st half v. Freo) are a real smokey for the flag and not to be taken lightly – especially at DS as their gameplan relies not on an individual firing, but a team set-up in which almost anyone can go and kick a goal. At times I personally go back and forth between thinking they’re front runners, but then their scoring power, only beaten by Tasmania, means they are never really out of a game. Ahh, to have an actual gameplan. I envy this.

WWWWW

Sydney Backline VS. WCE Forward Line
Considering the ball is in the forward fifty every second minute, the Sydney backline consisting of pensioners and four-year deal superstars, will be under immense pressure. With Richards doing the world a great service by taking Mitchell high, he will either get the week off courtesy of the MRP, or Horse (dropped.) This should pave the way for Laidler to return if fit, and join UnShaw, Rampe, Grundy, Smith and one of Jones/McPoint/Jetta/whoever is chilling at our HBF line in turning the ball over and giving up crucial goals.

In all seriousness, the Sydney backline, often with the assistance of hard-running midfielders have been statistically brilliant. Conceding the second amount of goals after Fremantle whose gameplan revolves around stopping goals by boring their opponents to death, this figure glosses over cracks that result from brain-farts and form drops. Like any team in the league, the Sydney backline looks vulnerable when placed in a one-on-one situation, and WCE have the gameplan and forwards to lock the ball in. I hate to say it again, but we need to rely on our midfielders to go back and provide assistance, because an unaccounted for Kennedy (53), Cripps (25) Hill (25) & LeCras (29) will result easily in a WCE win. You have no idea the amount of sadness I felt looking up how many goals they kicked and realising that our next best (Tippett 25) is merely on par with them.

Even forgetting about individuals, WCE over in Perf have gone BANG. Want statistics? Here’s some statistics for you. WCE are 2nd in goal assists, 2nd for marks inside 50 and 2nd for inside 50s (851 to our 810). This have allowed WCE to have perfected the rare art of actually kicking a goal – a process whereby the ball is put through the middle sticks by any AFL football team that is not coached by John Longmire.

250024-0917635e-ee03-11e4-a82d-68ff75e6542c.jpg

Kennedy celebrating at the thought of versing our backline.

Sydney Midfield VS. WCE Midfield
Oh, to have a midfield as good as the media think we do. We smashed Tasmania in handballs, disposals, possessions, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, tackles and broke even on all the other key numbers. Hell – we even won clearances AND centre clearances as many on this board bang on about every second day. Traditionally we have been a low clearance team but this effort in conjunction with our Richmond effort has shown that clearances really don’t matter. In fact – just to highlight how much it doesn’t matter, Carlton are also 5th alongside us.

‘The four pillars’ as now coined by me – Kennedy, Hannebery, Good Lukeing & Jack have been in fluctuating form. With Mitchell sharing the load with Kennedy, the influence of the latter has been reduced in the centre, even if the numbers aren’t significantly down. Arguably his best games have been in the forward line, and as a target he did a better job than both Luke or Jack (who apparently are small forwards because pure midfielders are too mainstream.) Ignoring this, the WCE midfield are efficient around the centre, with the added bonus of actually being able to kick, whether around the field or at goal. WCE are 2nd behind Tasmania for disposal efficiency (74%) while we're 9th (72.8%.)

(Fun fact - did you know all the games we've won, our efficiency has been over 70%? All losses this year have come from efficiency under 70%.) Priddis, Gaff, Masten are all within the top 10 disposal getters to our Hanners, Kennedy & Luke. Priddis, despite the ridicule at winning the brownlow, is immense for them, and leading the league in tackles (followed by Cripps.) If we are to win, Sydney will need to make sure that he is well accounted for.

Luke+Parker+AFL+Rd+23+Sydney+v+Richmond+QJjQ7GZlAYrl.jpg

A picture of Luke that adds nothing to this discussion because it's not a thread made by me without #goodlukeing. mmmm. brb.

However, allow me to contradict myself to say it’s too simplistic to say that statistics don’t matter at all. Whilst WCE are 10th in clearances, they are 1st in centre clearances, whilst we are 5th and 10th respectively. We all know NicNat is an awesome ruck while we have a thing against having a proper ruckman so this leads to the next key matchup.

WCE Ruck Vs. Sydney Lols
NicNat VS. Pyke/Tippett/Nankervis – take your pick.
I would write more here but it’s clear as day any of these three options will get schooled, so I’ll leave that discussion for the actual preview thread. I would go on about how important winning hitouts to give our midfielders first use of the ball is (WCE 2nd in this after Freo), but I will save myself the space considering WCE are first in centre clearances while we’re 10th and don’t know what an effective clearance looks like and probably won’t within the next 6 days.

th

NicNat preparing to line-up against our makeshift ruck division.

WCE Backline Vs. Buddy Franklin/Sydney Forward Line
Who would have thought WCE would have better forward figures than us at the start of 2015? Not I. Sydney are 9th in goal assists, with the majority of the team wondering how many more inaccurate kicks to Buddy they have to execute to raise the figure higher. While WCE are second for marks inside 50, we’re left wondering what the hell an actual mark inside 50 is, with no real target barring Buddy.

Maybe someone can write this section better than I because I struggle to actually name what our forward line is given it changes week in week out between Tippett and Nankervis and Buddy and Rohan and Reid and Goodes. Oh and add Cunningham from last week too.

Luckily for us, the WCE backline are in shambles and tall forwards trouble their makeshift line-up. For this reason I’m hoping that in addition to Buddy firing, something resembling a forward line will be used. Either Tippett (25 goals) or Reid (not enough goals to bother typing, but has great hands) moved into the forward line if Goodes isn't used there, or maybe even (JP)Kennedy to take advantage of their inexperience. I know I'm putting way too much to our midfielders, but we need them to lift and provide goals. A 3 goal haul from a Hanners, Kennedy or Luke and a firing Buddy may just be enough to win it.

th

Our only actual player sulking at the realisation he has nearly another decade of receiving our s**t kicks to him (or the guy next to him, who even knows where they are aiming.)

Ins & Outs - Sydney
Do not worry, fellow posters. One of McVeigh, Jack or Horse will promise us a performance like that won’t happen again, and meaningful changes like B.Jack in for Towers will occur.

Predicted Ins & Outs (will edit with actual when teams are named.)

IN: Laidler (if fit), Isaac ‘God’ Heeney
OUT: Richards, B.Jack

Note: Don’t think Jetta will be suspended so I went with this.

WCE
McGovern was injured yesterday with a hamstring, which means no more #mclovernformcgovern. (coined by yours truly, amirite QS.) This should make way for Barrass – who admittedly I know nothing about (but can read a changes thread so woohoo.)

Here's a Best 22 stolen from Fivey. FiveStrings I hope you will lend me copyright.

B: Barrass, Schofield, Sheppard
HB: Hurn, McGovern, Wellingham
C: Gaff, Priddis, Masten
HF: LeCras, Darling, Sheed
F: Cripps, Kennedy, Sinclair
R: Naitanui, Shuey, Yeo
I: Selwood, Hill, Rosa/Ellis
S: Ellis/Rosa

Prediction
I’ve had the time of my life slagging off our wonderful team, but I don’t know what else to type after being schooled by Tasmania. It really is hard to write a preview regarding set-ups and matchups (which I have omitted given I have no idea regarding possible backline suspensions, (Richards/Jetta) and injuries and/or recoveries (Tippett, Laidler, Pyke.) In addition, the team don’t bother playing players in a position for longer than two weeks (See: Reid, Tippett, Buddy, Goodes everyone) so if they can't have consistency then neither shall I in this preview write-up.

But... forget all about the figures. Forget about this doomsday preview thread in which WCE school us in just about every single important statistic. This week is unlike any other. This is the week we finally see the return of Heeney. With the presence of this god, no mere mortal can stand up. Buddy will kick 17, Tippett will kick 12, Reid will kick 10, Shaw will win AA backline off one performance, and Luke will win the brownlow - such is the influence of Heeney.

20150420_heeney_p.jpg

Heeney about to fire off a kick at 100% disposal, to lead the Brownlow.

WCE (134) – Sydney (3) + Heeney (1,300) = Sydney by 1,169.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're going to get smashed.

None of this pessimistic s**t ITT please. You're either #haawneyforheeney this coming week and ready to watch us smash WCE, or you're on the wrong thread.

None of this pessimistic s**t ITT please. You're either #haawneyforheeney this coming week and ready to watch us smash WCE, or you're on the wrong thread.
I am ready for Heeney's return, in fact that's one of the light positives heading into this week otherwise we're seriously going to get smashed, let's be realistic. WCE are Hawthorn 2.0 this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I guess leaving the s**t week aside, we desperately need to win this. We can do it ofc. it is a matter of whether we will actually turn up to play or not. Season definitely on the line her imo, we lose this and top 4 is gone, top 2 is already gone.

Nah i think we will win

Dont rate the eagles at all

I don't think it'll be as bad as some are fearing but they are in better form and their midfield is working harder than in the past. It might be the game we finally throw caution to the wind. Maybe it comes off, maybe it doesn't.

Against Hawthorn we had 6 players with <50 games experience (Mitchell, Jack, Lloyd, Cunningham, Nankervis, Jones). They had just 2 (Hartung and Litherland). That is not a position we can afford to be in if we want to compete for a premiership this year.

It will be interesting to see how we compete against West Coast, because their team is younger than ours and will have 5 players with <50 games experience. Can we match it with a team that is younger and has less experience on average?

I don't think it'll be as bad as some are fearing but they are in better form and their midfield is working harder than in the past. It might be the game we finally throw caution to the wind. Maybe it comes off, maybe it doesn't.

I think we are in the bunch behind hawthorn with freo wce richmond bulldogs and maybe gws

We may be last in that group, we are capable of first

Despite the s**t we can still pull this off

Agree, but we have to change things

Oh well

Watched a doco last night on an nfl player

Took a year off in his career when his wife got breast cancer then came back when she beat it etc

She battled it 6 times, died eventually, left 4 kids

Not relevant really our side is still poor last night except for me its a bit of clarity

This is footy, we ride the highs and lows but theres worse things than a side sitting 11-4

Not excusing them but i dunno bit of clarity for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back