Preview Rd 18 2017 Sydney v St Kilda @ SCG - Saturday 22 July (preview on page 8, post #191)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
The faltering Saints take on the rampart Swans in the pride game Saturday night at the SCG.

----------------------------------------------------

Preview thanks to brad cooper:

Link to original post
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-page-8-post-191.1171583/page-8#post-51405849

Where SCG
When Saturday Night 7.25pm est

Having grown up not far from the Saints old home ground at Moorabbin, I must admit i have a slight soft spot for them. After all they gave us Plugger and Hall which in the case of the latter probably gave us the 2005 premiership. A soft spot is only just that though, it only means that of the 17 other clubs, I hate them the least.

Although we still haven't played Fremantle, Geelong or Adelaide we meet the Saints for the 2nd time this year (The week after playing GWS for the second time), the AFL fixture just never ceases to amaze.

The SCG hasn't been a happy hunting ground for the saints of late having not won there since 2009, coincidently the last time we didn't play finals. Is this an omen? I think not the Saints were 19 and zip when they played us on that occasion and I'm almost certain there will be no late Andrew McQualter heroics to stop the rampant swans on this occasion.

Both sides are on 36 points with the swans sitting 6th and the saints 9th. Stating the obvious this is a massive game for both sides. A win for either team means they're one step closer to September, a loss one step closer to booking the end of season trip away.

Teams

Potential Swans outs
Reid (groin or potentially any other body part)
Rohan (hammy)

Swans ins
Aliir
Aliir
(That's for you Ceasar 88)

Saints outs
Gilbert
(Potentially a few others given the hiding they just copped)

Saints ins
Who cares

Key Match Ups

Josh Kennedy vs Jack Steven

Buddy vs Jake Carlisle

Sir Dane vs Nick Riewoldt (probably for the last time)

Summary

If the Saints show up they can cause problems for the best of teams, so please Swans no first quarter no shows like we did vs Gold Coast, Collingwood or Hawthorn. We need a big first quarter and the game is ours. Looking forward to what should be a comfortable win.

PS Cause I was board I tried to make up a team of players that have played for both teams. Help me out if you can think of any others.

B. Neil Dempster Melesso
HB. P Morwood Gray Strooper
C. Daniels OBrien Campbell
HF. TDL Hall Walsh
F. Membrey Lockett Everitt
FOLL. Cazaly Stewart (c) Schneider

Last edited by a moderator:

This is a huge game considering we are equal 6th with them and 2 other teams. We need to win this.

Especially with away games to Geelong and Adelaide to come. We might win both of those games, but they are tough away games...and we have the ever annoying Hawthorn next week too!

Especially with away games to Geelong and Adelaide to come. We might win both of those games, but they are tough away games...and we have the ever annoying Hawthorn next week too!

Yep, I reckon we can drop 2 more for the season, maybe 3, and this isn't one we want to use it up on. Geelong, Adelaide and Hawthorn are the ones if any.

This is a game we should win but we need to bring the same intensity as last week. Members missing for them helps us.

Has anyone got a firm update on Reid yet?
This may sound crazy but if Reid is injured Dawson might be worth a look. By all reports he played as FF after Tippett went down kicking 4 goals. It would mean we have a small forward line

This may sound crazy but if Reid is injured Dawson might be worth a look. By all reports he played as FF after Tippett went down kicking 4 goals. It would mean we have a small forward line

I'd prefer Hayward but I'm wary of him only playing a half in the reserves. Then again we played McVeigh off a limited game in the reserves. Just worry about playing Dawson up forward when he is a mid basically.

Yep, I reckon we can drop 2 more for the season, maybe 3, and this isn't one we want to use it up on. Geelong, Adelaide and Hawthorn are the ones if any.

Look I have us dropping the Crows game but beating Geelong, but we can't drop any other games. If we win all those 3 away games we are coming top 4 believe it or not.

I'd prefer Hayward but I'm wary of him only playing a half in the reserves. Then again we played McVeigh off a limited game in the reserves. Just worry about playing Dawson up forward when he is a mid basically.
We recruited him as a high forward role and only recently moved him into the midfield. At 190cm tall he's not too short

We recruited him as a high forward role and only recently moved him into the midfield. At 190cm tall he's not too short

It's more that he's looked a lot more comfortable in the middle. Kicking 4 in our NEAFL team when we are beating sides by 60+ most weeks doesn't change this. I'd rather if we went that way to play Parker forward and Dawson in the middle or something along those sort of lines. I do firmly believe that players when they come into the AFL side are most confident and stable if they are playing in their natural position, for mine Dawson is as a tall mid.

It's more that he's looked a lot more comfortable in the middle. Kicking 4 in our NEAFL team when we are beating sides by 60+ most weeks doesn't change this. I'd rather if we went that way to play Parker forward and Dawson in the middle or something along those sort of lines. I do firmly believe that players when they come into the AFL side are most confident and stable if they are playing in their natural position, for mine Dawson is as a tall mid.
Completely agree, play players in their best position but if Reid is down we're missing a forward either way. Aliir's name has been thrown about but his game on the weekend wasn't as good despite also playing down forward for bug parts of the game.

The only other player I would consider is to bring Sinclair back in. Wouldn't even flinch at keeping him as a stay at home forward and keep Towers pinching in the ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely agree, play players in their best position but if Reid is down we're missing a forward either way. Aliir's name has been thrown about but his game on the weekend wasn't as good despite also playing down forward for bug parts of the game.

The only other player I would consider is to bring Sinclair back in. Wouldn't even flinch at keeping him as a stay at home forward and keep Towers pinching in the ruck

We probably have to wait to see what Reid's prognosis is to be honest. Is it likely to be just a 1 weaker or are we looking at 2-3-4 weeks. If it is just a week I'm happy to give Sinclair the position. AA was ordinary on Friday and I see no point in putting him in and dropping him next week for Reid. We can also go small and play Parker up forward. The other option would be for a 1 week injury would be to move Mills forward- and bring Laidler in who has been close to our best reserves player this last month.

Dawson as a KPF? No thanks. The way we bomb long we need someone big enough to not be able to stand up to a KPD and compete. Not fair on Dawson.

If Reid can't play, it'd have to be Aliir surely.

tenor.gif

Dawson or Hayward as a KPF? No thanks. The way we bomb long we need someone big enough to not be able to stand up to a KPD and compete. Not fair on either to ask them to do that.

If Reid can't play, it'd have to be Aliir surely.

I just am not sold that AA is ready, and what I mean by that is whether he is 100% confident in his knee. He was fairly pedestrian on Friday in the NEAFL too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back