Autopsy Rd 18 Blue skies as the Suns go down - 2 in a row

Who played well for the Blues in Round 18 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO...we won, but only because they were bad... Not nearly as good as last week....but we got the points. Big day for crow pie next week!
Too harsh. Except for a 15 minute period of the 3rd Quarter it's the best I've seen our forwards work as a collective for a long, long time. Wasn't always clean and wasn''t often pretty, but whenever we got it Inside 50 you felt we were a chance to score. Loved most of what we did in defence given we were smashed around the stoppages. Only the 2nd win I've seen live this year, so was happy to see them find a way.

Kreuzer was best on ground just a game ago... but sure we better put him out to pasture... :drunk:
You obviously rate Aliir Aliir's expertise and skill as a ruckman more than I do.

Kreuzer was absolutely pantsed, terrible effort.
The sooner TDK is ready the better. Kreuzer tries but let's be honest he's never been a consistent topliner and his best days look behind him. I know Witts is a fair bit bigger but Kreuz just failed to find a way to impact the game.
Kruezer was shocking and allowed Witts to dominate and give them clearance domination.
Smashed in the ruck today. Hoping TDK comes on and quick!
Krooz was awesome against Freo and Sydney. Alir Alir aint much of a ruck but sheesh talk about short memories.
Witts gave them silver service today, the centre clearances showed this, i hope like hell they sort their team defence out a few times they just cut us to pieces which was really worrying. The plus today was we went above melbourne thats all i can think of
No shame in Kreuzer being thrashed by Witts.
The fact that Casboult had 14 hit outs to Kreuzer’s 19 shows how badly Kreuze was smashed by Witts. That he’s apparently playing injured certainly explains how bad he was today.
I’m not sure what you mean, thought Kreuze was really poor despite obviously trying hard (as usual). Not allowed to comment on a bad game?
We got flogged at centre bounces today (which I why our rate our back half today) as Kreuz lacks the leap to match the taller Witts.
Watching it on telly, he hardly got hands to the tap outs, and when he did they were rarely to advantage (and often to the opposition any way). Footy Wire tells me he got 19 hit outs (Levi helping with another 14) to Witts 46. Cant remember the last time I saw him have his colors lowered like that.
I reckon the tractor needs a bit more hydraulic fluid and a full tank of diesel. Looked underdone today
I can never Question Kreuzer's effort whenever he's taken the field, but he has been soundly beaten by pretty much every proper ruckman he's come up against this year. Struggles to get off the ground these days and the opposition ruckmen don't fall for his "step around" move any more. Not really an effective target around the ground either. Unfortunately bringing in Phillips or Lobbe presents more problems than it solves. Yet to be convinced that TDK has the tank to be a full-time ruckman yet.

If the club is fair dinkum about getting the most out of Cripps, Setterfield, Kennedy, Dow, Stocker, SPS, Fisher, Gibbons and Cuningham then its an issue SOS needs to address this trade and draft period. I'd have a look at trying to snaffle Oscar McInerney, who's still on the Lion's Rookie List and maybe draft a Nick Bryon with a later pick who we can develop over 3-5 years.

Going to be interesting next week with Dow & Cunners available...who makes way? Deluca would be one i suspect, but the other? I actually think i'd prefer Lang over Dow right now...Kenndy/JSOS/Gibbons are locks.
Dow needs some time in the VFL to find form and confidence. Second time this year Cuningham has missed multiple games this season. Would prefer he comes back via the VFL.

Feel sorry for David Swallow and Touk Miller...2 guys who are very good players and try hard. Harbrow too. Commend their loyalty but for the sake of their careers, probably should have gotten out like guys before them. I'm sure Peter Wright would be a far better player right now in a semi-decent team...has all the tools.
Watching Stewie Dews post match presser.. He has a certain vulnerability that makes me feel for him. I think he is a good coach, he had just been handed a s**t sandwich.
Personally I think you're both well off the mark and need to stop believing the line of BS the media are peddling. Like us, they are a young team and 18 months behind us in development. They have a senior core of Witts, Hanley, Swallow, Miller, Thompson, Martin, Sexton and Wright, who's just beginning to coming into his own as a KPP. Add to this their 2015-2018 draftees including Bowes, Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Brodie, Crossley, Collins (mature), King, Rankine, Lukosius and McLennan and in time there's a pretty good base to work with. Unfortunately for GCS half of that lot were unavailable this week. Add another couple years at the draft and a few Free Agents and they'll be just fine. I don't think they need priority picks etc, just a bit of patience......like another team I've been watching over the last 4 years. FWIW I was impressed with contributions made by Jack Lukosius and Ben King yesterday as 1st year KPPs. Their list is no more of a s**t sandwich than ours was 12 months ago.

Another positive day for Teague. Really like SPS off HB. Who thought of that? :p
One of the things I like about Teague is that he's not afraid to try different things in order to achieve some output from his players when things don't go to plan. However, like Garlett, it's not a position I'd like to see SPS play often. Had absolutely NFI where his opponent was most of the time.

PS Will Brodie impressed me. Be very good in Navy Blue
Won't happen

If McGovern wasn't watching this game and thinking I better get off my ass then he is not for us.
Totally agree. Can play but IMO there is no excuse for his lack of professionalism. I’m very hopeful this is the wake up call he needed
Spot on Soapy and by the time he does regain fitness he'll be behind all of Charlie, McKay, Casboult, TDK & SOSOS, so there's no guarantee he'll get another game this year.
I really like him. Think he is a real talent and will be a great addition for us. Special player but his attitude and professionalism has been poor and I will never tolerate lack of effort. It’s also Russell stamping his authority on standards which I think is great
I think this where the appointments of Brad Lloyd and Andrew Russell are worth their weight in gold. Doubt much escapes their trained eyes.

lang might be a player like gibbs or brock who just couldn't carry niggles..........not ideal.........
I'd actually put McGovern in that category. If the opposition so much as ruffles Gov's hair he's looking to spend the rest of the game on the bench.

Jacob Wolverine is starting to do what he does best too, read ball, strong mark and great kick.
Yeessss......I was thinking the exact same thing.

Too harsh. Except for a 15 minute period of the 3rd Quarter it's the best I've seen our forwards work as a collective for a long, long time. Wasn't always clean and wasn''t often pretty, but whenever we got it Inside 50 you felt we were a chance to score. Loved most of what we did in defence given we were smashed around the stoppages. Only the 2nd win I've seen live this year, so was happy to see them find a way.

You obviously rate Aliir Aliir's expertise and skill as a ruckman more than I do.

I can never Question Kreuzer's effort whenever he's taken the field, but he has been soundly beaten by pretty much every proper ruckman he's come up against this year. Struggles to get off the ground these days and the opposition ruckmen don't fall for his "step around" move any more. Not really an effective target around the ground either. Unfortunately bringing in Phillips or Lobbe presents more problems than it solves. Yet to be convinced that TDK has the tank to be a full-time ruckman yet.

If the club is fair dinkum about getting the most out of Cripps, Setterfield, Kennedy, Dow, Stocker, SPS, Fisher, Gibbons and Cuningham then its an issue SOS needs to address this trade and draft period. I'd have a look at trying to snaffle Oscar McInerney, who's still on the Lion's Rookie List and maybe draft a Nick Bryon with a later pick who we can develop over 3-5 years.

Dow needs some time in the VFL to find form and confidence. Second time this year Cuningham has missed multiple games this season. Would prefer he comes back via the VFL.

Personally I think you're both well off the mark and need to stop believing the line of BS the media are peddling. Like us, they are a young team and 18 months behind us in development. They have a senior core of Witts, Hanley, Swallow, Miller, Thompson, Martin, Sexton and Wright, who's just beginning to coming into his own as a KPP. Add to this their 2015-2018 draftees including Bowes, Ah Chee, Ainsworth, Brodie, Crossley, Collins (mature), King, Rankine, Lukosius and McLennan and in time there's a pretty good base to work with. Unfortunately for GCS half of that lot were unavailable this week. Add another couple years at the draft and a few Free Agents and they'll be just fine. I don't think they need priority picks etc, just a bit of patience......like another team I've been watching over the last 4 years. FWIW I was impressed with contributions made by Jack Lukosius and Ben King yesterday as 1st year KPPs. Their list is no more of a s**t sandwich than ours was 12 months ago.

One of the things I like about Teague is that he's not afraid to try different things in order to achieve some output from his players when things don't go to plan. However, like Garlett, it's not a position I'd like to see SPS play often. Had absolutely NFI where his opponent was most of the time.

Won't happen

Spot on Soapy and by the time he does regain fitness he'll be behind all of Charlie, McKay, Casboult, TDK & SOSOS, so there's no guarantee he'll get another game this year.

I think this where the appointments of Brad Lloyd and Andrew Russell are worth their weight in gold. Doubt much escapes their trained eyes.

I'd actually put McGovern in that category. If the opposition so much as ruffles Gov's hair he's looking to spend the rest of the game on the bench.

Yeessss......I was thinking the exact same thing.

The Quoting Gun!

Walsh is a bloody phenomenon.

Seriously hard to believe how good this kid is.

He just runs his guts out. Never shirks a contest. He is hard as a cats head.

Quick decision maker. Some times we give him the ball when he is so under the pump but he manages to get a lightning handball out to someone.

Reads the game so well and his tank just allows him to get to contest after contest.

He is an absolute ripper. Will be an absolute champion of the CFC.

walsh selwood.png

No Charlie
No Doc
No Marchy
No Mitch
No Dow
Crippa on one cylinder
Harry with his boots on the wrong feet, again.
No worries
When you win despite these things it starts to get harder to pick a best side, but even better is....
You know we can win anyway

edit....I forgot Cuners...my bad

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like O’Brien, great young player, but imagine this board if plowman kicked the ball out on the full that many times. Just imagine.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
nah, we're all open-minded, forgiving loves around here............

Just finished watching the replay and was great to notice our tactical change in the last quarter.

GC got the upper hand in the 3rd with some quick goals but we still had a 18 point lead.

Instead of 'making the ground big' and being relatively aggressive like we usually do, the team locked the game down by getting numbers down the line and around the footy. All our kicks out of our back half went down the line, and the guys up the field all gathered around the area...barely any players pushed to the open side.

There were a few times a guy up the middle was half in the open and earlier in the game we probably would have taken the risk, but in Q4 the defenders refused to go for it.

This further shows to me Teague's tactical nous and also his ability to get all the players on the same page.
In the end GC never got close in the last quarter and we restricted them to only 9 points.

Just finished watching the replay and was great to notice our tactical change in the last quarter.

GC got the upper hand in the 3rd with some quick goals but we still had a 18 point lead.

Instead of 'making the ground big' and being relatively aggressive like we usually do, the team locked the game down by getting numbers down the line and around the footy. All our kicks out of our back half went down the line, and the guys up the field all gathered around the area...barely any players pushed to the open side.

There were a few times a guy up the middle was half in the open and earlier in the game we probably would have taken the risk, but in Q4 the defenders refused to go for it.

This further shows to me Teague's tactical nous and also his ability to get all the players on the same page.
In the end GC never got close in the last quarter and we restricted them to only 9 points.
I think it was also a realization that our blokes were starting to tire a little bit after a hard travelling month. So yes he shut the game down and left us with some petrol in the tank. Full plaudits go to Teague.

Back