Autopsy Rd 18 Blue skies as the Suns go down - 2 in a row

Who played well for the Blues in Round 18 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Had another look at the game

Backline was superb, Jones especially, but backed up well with Weitering and everyone's favourite whipping boy in Plowman, Daisy once again clean

Can't wait for Walsh to put on some size, will shrug many tacklers in coming years, while sticking his own. Kd just keeps teh ball moving to our teams advantage. Still see Cotchin, although a greater accumulator

Not sure what was going on with the ruck coaching, Kruezer was just playing Witts to the wrong side. Rather than coming in from the left at boundary throw ins, negating Witts's left hand, he constantly came in from the right side. Yet, Levi played him completely the opposite way and negated his left hand taps. Very strange from McIntosh

I thought Harry fought hard, halved some contests and 2nd efforts were great. Seems to have fallen back into some bad kicking habits, crunch down to his right side at point of kicking

Kennedy looks really fit and reading the ball and next phase in the chain really well. Gibbons has now found his feet and well and truly entrenched in the side. Lang has turned the corner, expecting him to be more influential in the next 5 weeks

Our better disposal efficiency won the game

Teague being able to develop Kennedy & Lang to become best 22 players would be huge for our list depth. Makes the starting 22 that much older and experienced as well which we've needed, though both are still young overall.

Harry is actually in great touch in every aspect except his goal-kicking. He's really troubling defenders.

Defenders definitely saved our bacon that game, took a huge number of intercept marks/possessions. Jones in particular outstanding in this area.

Yep Walsh is very Cotchin like, though probably a higher ceiling. He's already got good ability to get the ball to a teammates advantage while being tackled, which should only improve as he gets bigger physically. And as you said, is a strong tackler himself.

I don’t like the McKay ball drop. It’s ‘loose’. Aka LOB at the moment.
I agree on both counts, but for differing reasons. LOB has a tendency to roll his left hand outwards which makes the contact point somewhere on the outside of the foot, thus the 3 sliced OOB kicks on Saturday. He did hit a few wonderful kicks during the game too.

H has a tendency to drop his right shoulder, which in turn drops his right hip, which leads to a hooked left foot kick.

Both are easily repaired faults

73. Don’t know how to use the App old timer?

app?

1280px-Commodore-64-Computer-FL.jpg

I notice the commentary from those 'in the know' like Roos and Derwayne has started to come around, not only to praise the Blues, but also bump Walsh as the rising star winner.

The tide is turning strongly girls and boys

Derwayne is sickening how he has all of a sudden become a bandwagoner

No Charlie
No Doc
No Marchy
No Mitch
No Dow
Crippa on one cylinder
Harry with his boots on the wrong feet, again.
No worries
When you win despite these things it starts to get harder to pick a best side, but even better is....
You know we can win anyway
And the Suns threw everything at us.

I have only just got on the thread this morning at work.
Got to skim through 24 pages. so will come back with more comments
I'm sure we're all happy with the win, even though some of our players were down, cripps getting injured, and the Umpires doing their normal think.
I know there should be no bias in the umpires and they do a tough job, but sometimes you really question their judgement.
Great game Kennedy, 4 goals. :D

Hope Charlie & Cunningham ready to come in next week.

Now to get through these 24 pages, :think:

Watched the replay last night and we really should be disappointed we only won by 4 goals, dominated large portions, backline was superb and looked really dangerous with our ball movement but continuously let the Suns back in with lapses, against better opposition it would have resulted in us being 5 goals down once again.

On the positives,good to see a 17 possession game from JSOS is now seen as nothing to make a big deal about, Thomas and SPS were sensational and Harry will play much worse and kick 5 while getting a win without contributions from Cripps or Charlie is always good. I like that Kennedy bagged 4 but would love him to get a bit more of the ball.

Going forward I didn't see anything from Lang that would prevent him being the first one out for Cuningham, Charlie, Mitch or Dow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gees this is a funny group. If we had lost we would be up to page 42 rather than 24.
I have to agree with some of the posters, why all the negativity.
Everyone commented about Kruezer and Cripps. I read though nearly all the posts and saw very few people reference the fact that Kruezer came off injured I think with a knock to the head.
Eventhough he came back on, who knows how this affected him.
Cripps had a bad knock to the ankle and was clearly hampered, which is why he was sitting in the forward pocket. Witts is a tall power ruckman, so was always going to be a challenge.
Even with all the mistakes up to half time and easy missed goals, we were still good enough to get to 43 points in front. We let them in with some bad turnovers.
But they stood up, don't think they got to within 3 goals in the end.
The backline was solid and looked well composed.
Bloody well done Blues. 4 wins from 6 games. Could have easily been 6 from 6.
If we kicked a little better at goals, would have been quite a comfortable win.
Lets not forget Walsh, another lazy 27 possessions.
Ed 32 Possessions. And all our talls: Levi, Harry, Jones & Weitering all marking really well.
These are the players that win big game finals.
Well done Blueboys, now for Adelaide.

Gees this is a funny group. If we had lost we would be up to page 42 rather than 24.
Everyone commented about Kruezer and Cripps. I read though nearly all the posts and saw very few people reference the fact that Kruezer came off injured I think with a knock to the head.
Cripps had a bad knock to the ankle and was clearly hampered, which is why he was sitting in the forward pocket. Witts is a tall power ruckman, so was always going to be a challenge.
Even with all the mistakes up to half time and easy missed goals, we were still good enough to get to 43 points in front. We let them in with some bad turnovers.
Ed 32 Possessions. And all our talls: Levi, Harry, Jones & Weitering all marking really well.
Anyone potting Kreuzer is seriously underestimating Witts, massive unit who has been one of the best ruckmen in the league for the last couple of years just no one hears about him because he plays for the Suns.
Plenty of positives, not least of which is winning without playing at our best but clearly we weren't at our best.

Watched the replay last night and we really should be disappointed we only won by 4 goals, dominated large portions, backline was superb and looked really dangerous with our ball movement but continuously let the Suns back in with lapses, against better opposition it would have resulted in us being 5 goals down once again.

On the positives,good to see a 17 possession game from JSOS is now seen as nothing to make a big deal about, Thomas and SPS were sensational and Harry will play much worse and kick 5 while getting a win without contributions from Cripps or Charlie is always good. I like that Kennedy bagged 4 but would love him to get a bit more of the ball.

Going forward I didn't see anything from Lang that would prevent him being the first one out for Cuningham, Charlie, Mitch or Dow.
Agree Macca.

My feeling is that we weren't used to being in this position.

We are used to being the underdogs but knowing if we put in the work we'll be able to compete and beat anyone.

GCSuns were a different proposition. We got ahead by 40 and then everyone started playing differently. Lots of gambles and hard forward running which we would not do in normal circumstances. This exposed us to the counter attacks. We didn't have the desperation that we need to bring, and I hope this is shown to the group that we should never take it for granted. I hope this holds a lesson for us when this list is peaking, that we perform more like a Geelong/Hawthorn in their dominant era rather than a GWS who have all the talent but never put it together.

Leon Cameron is a clown IMO. Horrible coach but just IMO.

Positive posts don't tend to generate responses.

The negative ones get jumped on (sometimes fairly, sometimes not) and tempers flare, which blows out the post count pretty quick with the subsequent tit-for-tat.

Just watched the replay again.First half and bit of the third we were moving the ball well and doing all the team things but after we got out to big margin,IMO,they went into self preservation mode.Its hard to play a team that you know you should beat and get up for it as they can make you play to their level.If you look at the players facial expressions time after time it’s obvious they just wanted to go through and get the win.We have much bigger fish to fry.(birds for that matter).

Witts, massive unit who has been one of the best ruckmen in the league for the last couple of years just no one hears about him because he plays for the Suns.
Agreed. If he is gettable, Witts would be high on my list of chess pieces required. I'm a huge fan of Kruz, but he is closer to the end than the beginning, and we need a plan B and C. Phillips and Lobbe clearly are not part of the solution. TDK is untried at the level. A player like Witts would be a huge get. (literally and figuratively)

Much better than 1st year Buckley. He doesn't content himself with sitting 10 mts off the back of a pack to get the cheap easy handball and then use his foot skills. Walsh has the most rounded game I've seen from a first year player. Inside getting dirty, outside distributing. He makes other players get to the place he wants the ball to go. I think I saw him even have a go at a specky on the weekend, which ended with him collecting his own crumb and snapping at goal.
I remember that bit of play too.

Had he kicked that goal, it would've resembled the 'goal of the year' effort from Charlie Cameron last year or the year before, where the bloke just didn't quit and went over and over again until he won out.

I notice the commentary from those 'in the know' like Roos and Derwayne has started to come around, not only to praise the Blues, but also bump Walsh as the rising star winner.

Roos is auditioning for a job at Carlton -' training wheels remover' and my read is that he is 75% there - was amusing watching his "nice to meet you Teaguey" interview at half time during the game.

Most media personalities i've heard, when talking about the Rising Star seriously, have all said Walsh in a canter.

Agreed. If he is gettable, Witts would be high on my list of chess pieces required. I'm a huge fan of Kruz, but he is closer to the end than the beginning, and we need a plan B and C. Phillips and Lobbe clearly are not part of the solution. TDK is untried at the level. A player like Witts would be a huge get. (literally and figuratively)

Not this year as we have Kreuz signed up for 2020 and Witts is contracted.

But should have a red hot go at the end of 2020, with Witts to slot in as no.1 ruck in 2021.

Back