Autopsy Rd 18 Blues go down fighting in Simmo's farewell game

Who gave their all in Simmo's farewell game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

think you are right about what has become of this batch of supporters - or perhaps supporters following this period of the club - the victim mentality is insufferably rampant among them and worryingly it will infect future generations.......we have basically become footscray/melbourne/stkilda supporters....
Don't forget Essendon supporters

I think we are flushed with non KPD general defenders, or options to play that 3rd tall role, so if we are able to attract all our trade targets, one of them will be traded out
We could have half a new backline if things go as planned.

Newman back and getting one or both of Williams and Saad.

If you assume that Jones and Weiters are the KPD's, Plowman locks down on the biggest problem forward, and Doc has to fit in - it doesn't leave much room. No wonder Simmo might have been nudged.

Willo can go to a wing. SPS maybe rotate with Williams back and mid? There will be times we might want another tall back there, but I can't see it being a regular need.

I remember after the Pies game, one of their posters pointed out the the biggest difference in the last quarter was the back-half run of Crisp, Maynard and Quaynor. It often looks like our midfield is the problem, but I think if we add that run, speed and carry back there, our midfield will stand up ok - particularly if Dow and/or Kemp can become regulars.

I'm not game enough to watch that again, but I didn't see what you did.
I'll take your word for it but I still think there's a good player there with the heart and drive we demand.
Not worried about the other 'potential delistees'.
But the game I saw Pols did a fair bit right.
Won't be a gun.
Will be an asset to the club.

Unfort was there with some scrubbers, as I was cringing for the bloke.
I do hear what you’re saying, and perhaps we could persist to develop, but this year is going to be interesting on list culling.

We could have half a new backline if things go as planned.

Newman back and getting one or both of Williams and Saad.

If you assume that Jones and Weiters are the KPD's, Plowman locks down on the biggest problem forward, and Doc has to fit in - it doesn't leave much room. No wonder Simmo might have been nudged.

Willo can go to a wing. SPS maybe rotate with Williams back and mid? There will be times we might want another tall back there, but I can't see it being a regular need.

I remember after the Pies game, one of their posters pointed out the the biggest difference in the last quarter was the back-half run of Crisp, Maynard and Quaynor. It often looks like our midfield is the problem, but I think if we add that run, speed and carry back there, our midfield will stand up ok - particularly if Dow and/or Kemp can become regulars.

We need more speed and better footskills all over the park, but that can change quickly by only adding 3-4 players with those characteristics, either via trade or within(Kemp, Stocker, Ramsay)

Speaking of the Pies, I would have a crack at Noble if we miss out on some of our running defender targets

I see Williams playing more in the middle

Levi goes missing in games where he is not the #2 ruckman. Don’t know why, but staying at home as a forward doesn’t get him involved enough.
Spot on Im a fan of Cas but if he isnt playing that relief ruck swingman role i dont see a spot for him in the side .
With the emergence of TDK we just cannot have Cas TDK and Pittonet in the side together just too cumbersome .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this a real thing? Do clubs have free kick coaches?? -- showing my age here

I would have thought the rules of the game were unbiased, not what the umpires want to see. If you throw the ball, that is illegal disposal.Irrespective of 'what the umpires want to see'

No, I don't think it is a thing. I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. But complaining about the umpires doesn't help anything when it's clear that some teams are just better at milking frees than others. I don't want us to start playing that way, but JEEZE! it's frustrating.

No, I don't think it is a thing. I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. But complaining about the umpires doesn't help anything when it's clear that some teams are just better at milking frees than others. I don't want us to start playing that way, but JEEZE! it's frustrating.

Its not. But they 100% train to increase chances of drawing frees.

Season done..... Again last night we shot ourselves in the foot.

Win 3 quarters, show plenty of grit, make some absolute howlers, get flogged by the imbecile umps..... Deja Vu.

We have only ourselves to blame but you have to be genuinely exited bout 2021.

But tough decisions now need to be made.....Polson not good enough. Newnes not good enough.
Gibbons ?

Eddie and Murph will have to be prepared to play 2s and my gut feel now is that both should have retired.
They will need to play at a high level next year to get a gig and I cant see it.
Probably Murphs worst game last night which was disappointing in Simmos send off.

Walsh, Harry just two that IMO will go to All Oz candidates next year and with Charlie, Jack, Newman and Marchbank
all being like new recruits there is so much upside. (plus a fit Crippa )

A frustrating and some times infuriating season that probably reflected this year in general.

Bring on 2021

Last edited:
Quite a few Brisbane fans around me last night stayed specifically to clap Simpson off. One of those players, regardless of the club you support that you just can’t dislike. I think a lot of players would feel the same way. Zorko made a point of getting a game ball to Simmo (and Kruezer). I think everyone respects a long career of quality and loyalty.

In terms of a season, sure, last couple of weeks, no. While he can plug the hole, he is not a natural defender

SPS is the least of our problems
Yep agree he is the least of our problems and was just commenting on a post. With Newman and Marchbank coming back and maybe addind Williams and a few others just cant see SPS being best 22 next year

Yep agree he is the least of our problems and was just commenting on a post. With Newman and Marchbank coming back and maybe addind Williams and a few others just cant see SPS being best 22 next year

SPS was still entrenched in the side when Newman(will replace Simmo) and Marchbank were in the side

SPS won't be replaced by Williams, others will struggle to be best 22

This trade period will answer many questions. How other players see us as a side, how list management sees the list and who will be considered best 22-28 (likelihood of injuries)

Winning teams don't normally whinge about umpiring because, in the vast majority of times, they have had the best of the umpiring decisions.

And it's sometimes bloody hard to get out of the back 50 when the umpiring count runs better than 2:1. At one stage there I counted 3 straight goals against us from frees. I'm not saying that they were all bullshit but anyone who doesn't recognise that as a momentum carrier doesn't understand the concept of momentum shifts.

I've never said that the umpires win or lose a game, I've specially never said that umpires show a bias. But when you see such an uneven free count in an otherwise relatively even match I think it's worthy of some mention. Particularly when you hear someone like Richo (far from a Carlton supporter)question decisions several times during the course of the match.

BTW I particularly liked the one to Rich who dropped his head and ran directly into one of our players. WTF is he supposed to do, get out of the way.
From memory it was Polson he was at time of contact stationary but in Richs path who ran straight into him with head down which he is entitled to do if he is picking the ball up .
But what on earth can Polson do as you said stand aside and let him run through after taking possession .

More interested in how you can state who lappin was talking about, staggering really

Stats and vision go hand in hand, as I clearly stated all sides can improve in all areas, just like tackles

Perhaps watch other games with the same focus, you will see how many missed tackles there are
Tigers don't miss very many.

SPS will surely be best 22 next season. Will play more mid-time and maybe in fwd line at times. He has finished the season off well and we still have not seen his best yet at just 22.

Back