Autopsy Rd 18 Blues go down fighting in Simmo's farewell game

Who gave their all in Simmo's farewell game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pros:

Won 39 qtrs, one off the top, showing we are highly competitive against anyone, even the best. Encouraging!

Cons:

Won 39 qtrs and finished 13th. The number of qtrs won should've had us top 6 but it tells a huge story of where our issues are. Those bad qtrs/run ons/choking cost us a finals. Maybe it is telling us a story to that, while very competitive against anyone, we weren't quite mentally ready to take the step there. Frustrating!

The thing I'm most concerned about is the size of our list and the gameplan. If you look at the best teams, Richmond, Bears, Geelong, Port, they all have one tall monster up forward, and 6 medium sized lightening quick guys that tackle and harass. The game plan is get into forward 50 as quick as possible and lock it in with frantic pressure. We can't do that with 4 tall immobile players up forward every week.

We are really behind the 8 ball on this, we need to turn 1 or 2 of the monsters into 4 medium fast blokes with high pressure traits or we are sunk and our rebuild has been a waste.

Sos has built a list that would have been top 5 years ago. Richmond have changed the way the game is played and as usual we are second to the party
I'd play Harry, Charlie and JSOS as the 3 talls. Harry has has good agility and a bit of pace for his size. Charlie has a great leap and ability to get the ground ball. JSOS has good footy nous and is a fierce tackler and contested work too.

So no way am I worried about our talls and how this is a 10 year old game plan which wouldn't work today.

I'd say the more important thing is getting the right players to make up the other 3 small/small-medium forwards.

Daisy 'dollars ankle shoulder' Thomas was a big part of our descent into the abyss by my recollection.
Tagging yourself in posts is a bit strange

Did Blue fusion and I watch a different game to you last night. There is not the poise, desire and will to win amongst this group to become a topside. 3 good trades will not change that. Carlton have huge comcerns

Sorry, that's a completely different discussion, but we both know where we both stand, me a finals side, you closer to a spoon

We were discussing tackles and structure

The thing I'm most concerned about is the size of our list and the gameplan. If you look at the best teams, Richmond, Bears, Geelong, Port, they all have one tall monster up forward, and 6 medium sized lightening quick guys that tackle and harass. The game plan is get into forward 50 as quick as possible and lock it in with frantic pressure. We can't do that with 4 tall immobile players up forward every week.

We are really behind the 8 ball on this, we need to turn 1 or 2 of the monsters into 4 medium fast blokes with high pressure traits or we are sunk and our rebuild has been a waste.

Sos has built a list that would have been top 5 years ago. Richmond have changed the way the game is played and as usual we are second to the party

Lynch Riewoldt
Hawkins Esava
McStay Hipwood
Dixon Marshall

Most of them use a resting ruckman in the forward line at times

1 massive shining light from this season is seeing williamson playing some really good consistent footy, this year couldn’t of gone any better for him injury wise
Agree, the return of Willo and also Doc this year after long lay offs and playing some good footy, is is like getting two new quality recruits.

So we chair an opposition player off after a loss, but don't chair a club champion off after the same?

What a strange club this is

We carry off Gibbs but not Simmo?

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

That there is where the culture of the club is at..

Simmo got chaired off in his 300th. I think this was a more important occasion than that. Just get 2 players to go to him and put him on there shoulders.

It at least shows our supporters and the footy world that there was at least an effort.

How come the Simmo and Kreuz didn't get carried off at the end of the game, feel like I missed something..

Nothing strange at all.

It was Simmo's choice!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd play Harry, Charlie and JSOS as the 3 talls. Harry has has good agility and a bit of pace for his size. Charlie has a great leap and ability to get the ground ball. JSOS has good footy nous and is a fierce tackler and contested work too.

So no way am I worried about our talls and how this is a 10 year old game plan which wouldn't work today.

I'd say the more important thing is getting the right players to make up the other 3 small/small-medium forwards.
I reckon we can play 2 or 3 max.....we get cut up badly when teams run the ball out of our 50. If they kick it out jones marks it, but the smart teams worked out to run and handball from our 50 and they slaughter us. Hence the big run ons

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but is there any absolute confirmation of what Teague said in his HT spray? I for one am so happy to see it. I know we don’t see his approach day in day out, but I’ve been critical of Teague’s calm demeanour in the box, rooms and press conferences despite our quite obvious in-game lapses. This shows that - despite being the last game of the season and a dead rubber for us - he is as frustrated as we are.
My question is this: was the spray directed at Cripps? It looked like it to me. My only other thought is that he was telling the assistant coach to leave the snacks on the table, but I have to say it looked more like he said “f**king leaders!!!” and pointed directed at Cripps.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but is there any absolute confirmation of what Teague said in his HT spray? I for one am so happy to see it. I know we don’t see his approach day in day out, but I’ve been critical of Teague’s calm demeanour in the box, rooms and press conferences despite our quite obvious in-game lapses. This shows that - despite being the last game of the season and a dead rubber for us - he is as frustrated as we are.
My question is this: was the spray directed at Cripps? It looked like it to me. My only other thought is that he was telling the assistant coach to leave the snacks on the table, but I have to say it looked more like he said “f**king leaders!!!” and pointed directed at Cripps.

There was no audio but you can tell alot from the body language, facial expressions, not to mention the heap of "F's" coming out of his mouth.

SPS played one of his great wet weather games.
For me personally, I liked seeing Harry's contested marking, had up until now thought he was more about the mark on a quick lead.
Murphy could be playing where Eddie was next year. Probably manage a similar goal output. Not as crafty with the contested ball on the ground but has some goalkicking nous. The less said about his tackling the better. I notice Cuningham had a few tackles but has not quite gone from a tease to a consistent player. Next year might be it.
Our midfield stocks are still so thin. Need Dow and Polson to show something.

I’m not going to win any Brownie points for this but the sides celebration of Simpson’s goal whilst heartwarming is also a symptom of why we have a bog ordinary near enough is good enough culture at our club.

The goal was great and team lifting but the get around him celebration was like yeah that’s it, if we don’t win at least we can celebrate Simo’s goal.

It should have been the catalyst for an all in no holds barred supreme effort.

That’s how you celebrate a goal in your last game - make sure the games in your pocket and work the goal to your retiring player ie: Stratton at the Hawks.

I think this game highlights the need for the coaching panel to include a free-kick coach, who would be every bit as important as a midfield coach or development coach. Part of what makes Lachie Neale a ball magnet is his ability to turn a FA stat into a FF. When he cops a text book tackle from Ed Curnow, he dives forward and gets an in-the-back free. When Cam Rayner gets pinged in a tackle he can drop his knees and get a shot on goal for a high tackle. If we want to compete, we have to learn these techniques - they can add 20-30 points to the score each week.

You can moan about bad umpiring or adjust your method to embrace what the umpires want to see. :-J
A free kick coach? How about a kick in coach? A marking coach? A kicking coach? A tackling coach? Or perhaps a punching/spoiling coach?

What you are asking is part of the current coaching package, our players are just too nice/inexperienced/undersized to capitalise. How many player actions need to be coached and how many should they be able to develop themselves based on research, character, innovation?

They are professional footballers, paid well who should be able to do some leg work on their own, without a fitness coach poking around saying, “You’ve used your right hamstring to its potential load, time to hop on the left leg!”

Sure you can work it out
Arrow, it tells me they were first to the ball and therefore in a better position to attack, thus the more scoring opportunities and more free kicks for Brions. Says a bit about endeavour and effort but, I’d rather lose the tackling count because I’m dominating possession. If you we we quicker, less talls, we may have been able to make the play more readily, rather than chase our tails and tackle relentlessly.

Arrow, it tells me they were first to the ball and therefore in a better position to attack, thus the more scoring opportunities and more free kicks for Brions. Says a bit about endeavour and effort but, I’d rather lose the tackling count because I’m dominating possession. If you we we quicker, less talls, we may have been able to make the play more readily, rather than chase our tails and tackle relentlessly.

I don't think that is on the back of playing tall, more about missing targets

Being dominated by inside 50's also has little to do with our forward structure

Our mids got spanked in the middle during that period

Back